1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reason not to trust dealership, other repair shops specialize in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by steve44, Jul 14, 2009.

1. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
    I don't trust my dealer due to a couple conversations and situations. Are there any local repair shops that specialize in Prius? I know of a good foreign car shop "Curry's" (for my old Audi) but don't believe they do Prius. I live in Woodbridge, VA so anything in Northern VA will suffice.

Thanks!!

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, find a different dealer. This car is far too complicated to be dealt with by someone w/o significant training on the Prius.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just curious ... With a new car still under warranty, why would you pay for repairs at an indie shop? Or are you looking for someone to do your routine maintenance? If it's the latter, it doesn't take a Prius-specialty shop.

There has to be a dealership somewhere in NoVa that you can come to trust.

4. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
    Yes there are a couple shops I completely trust. Two I've gone to for years (each) for my car and was very pleased. However, I'm looking for a shop that specializes in the Prius (my wife's car). Because it's so complicated I won't go to any Joe Shmoe's Auto Show.

Hoping to find body work and routine maintenance at 15% less than the dealership (if possible). Major repairs should be covered by the warranty no matter where you go.

5. theowl

theowl Prius Convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am all in favor of finding a lower cost alternative to dealerships. However, I'd be hesitant in taking my Prius into a non-dealer for even basic maintenance. If they do something wrong or don't understand the Prius, they could end up messing up the vehicle and the Prius' new car warranty.

6. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If it is for warranty work then use a "Stealership" but if it is for routine maintenance, learn about your car by doing it yourself. That way you will know the job was done correctly.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll say again that it doesn't take specialized knowledge to do most routine maintenance on the Prius. Oil changes are as easy as any I've done on any car. Cabin and engine air filters can be changed in two minutes each with no tools. Tires can be rotated at a tire shop, sometimes for free if the particular tire shop services their brand of OEM tire (like Goodyear). In Virginia, state inspection stations will inspect brakes, suspension, exhaust, and other safety-related items annually. Even a CVT fluid change is simple, once the steps are understood. I'm not at all mechanically inclined, but with the guidance I've gained here, I will be tackling it in the near future on my own car.

And dealers are not immune from making mistakes. Reports are rampant of dealers overfilling oil, for example, or even worse. And exorbitant charges are common -- $75 to change an air filter, for instance.

I agree with Rest. Even if you don't do your own, learn how to follow up to assure proper performance, regardless of who does the work.