1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reasonable price for a fender liner repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigPoppa420, Apr 2, 2017.

1. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hit a curb pretty hard yesterday. Front left fender liner came out and theres a dent in the front left tire. Service center is giving me an estimated price of $730 for all the repairs + new tire + a tire alignment.

I dont know much about cars as I just got this car about 2 months ago. Does the price seem a bit steep? I was expecting somewhere along the ball park of $400 since a fender liner and tire cost like $150, and labor + alignment would be about $250. All the other mechanics in town are closed today so I can't get a quote until tomorrow.

2. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a reasonable price for four tires and an alignment, plus minor repair. The fender liner should only take 1/2 an hour to install. I would definitely look elsewhere.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Replace the fender liner yourself at a cost of $20 for an aftermarket part plus some of your time jacking up that corner of the car and removing the tire for access.

2. Go to the tire store and buy a new tire for $100 or whatever the price needs to be for a tire matching the other three.
    3. Go to an alignment shop and pay $100 or less for an alignment.

BigFatGuy and dubit like this.
  4. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have almost no experience with DIY and I'd much rather leave it to a professional. But judging by the responses I think I'm probably getting ripped off. Thanks for the info!

5. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Additionally, depending on how much tread you have left on the remaining three tires, you might consider replacing all four tires. If the tires are practically new then the one will probably be OK. If nothing else replace in pairs, the convention currently is to put the new tires on the back and your old tires up front.

If you have to replace them all, and you are a Costco member I definitely would recommend getting tires there. They have them on sale every month either Michelin or Bridgestone, currently Bridgestone is on sale.

6. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Additionally, depending on how much tread you have left on the remaining three, you should consider replace in pairs or replace them all. The exception is that the remaining three are nearly new, as Patrick emphasized, "...a tire matching the other three". The current convention is to put the new tire(s) on the rear and the old tires up front.

If you are a Costco member Bridgestone tires are on sale through 4/17. Costco does not do alignments, though.

Don't know if people still do two wheel alignment, but insist on 4 wheel. Lastly, get the alignment as soon as you can after getting a new tire or tires, a bad alignment will shorten the life of a tire measurably.

7. Philliplewis590

Philliplewis590 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What if you just need the liner and not the tire alignment?