1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Reasons behind the slowness of EVs adoption in US

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by KrPtNk, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Okay, which one?

Cars are longer than that but if the technology were superior, everyone would be switching. They aren't.

And we aren't at "superior in every way". Not by a long shot. Hence, the answer to the question this thread asked.

You don't seem to know anything about anything.

Do you really think I'm a "1%er" whatever that is?

I'm actually very average.

I'm middle-aged.
    I'm married.
    I have two kids.
    I live in a single-family house with a three-car garage.
    My house is in a suburb of a major city.
    I work full-time.
    My commute to work is 11 miles each way.
    I average about 13,000 miles a year of driving.
    I occasionally take my family on an out-of-town trip.
    I occasionally take my family on an out-of-state trip.

So, where am I a "1%er", other than the fact that I'm a power-electrical-engineer who understands this technology better than 99+% of the people in the country?

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I say "would work for..." I'm talking about as their car for all their uses (I use my Prime for everything I do). Virtually everyone could use a BEV if they have a conventional or hybrid car for the uses for which the BEV fails. My friend lives in a community where BEVs are the norm - golf carts. He has his Camry Hybrid for when the golf cart doesn't work.

That's not the situation I'm describing.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    i respect the notion - the beliefe - but even if we look at recent sales - the Volt / Bolt (w/out the largest incentives any more) & Prime are all pretty close in sales.
    New Picture (1).jpg
    So one necessarily HAS to consider alternate motive for canceling a car.... such as a shortage of batteries, for continuing to built BOTH Bolt & Volt - especially since the R&D has already gone into it. Batteries are dirt cheep now - letting prices drop at manufacturing level ... but the quantity is just not there.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A number of those do not require a card, dongle or app. BC Hydro, Sun Country, GE and Greenlots don’t require anything. FLO is hit or miss. Some are free without a lock, others require an app or CC to unlock but charging is free in Canada.

Note that ChargePoint cards can be used at FLO and Greenlots charging station. Also, you ca ln simply use a CC to tap on the station and not sign up at all.

So your argument there is moot.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wrong.

I can drive up to almost any gas station, scan my credit card and fuel up.

Can you do the same with any charging station? Don't think so. I've been at charging stations I couldn't use, even with two credit cards, a ChargePoint card and a cell phone. That's right - even 10 minutes on the phone with the company didn't result in a usable charger.

Can't have that.

john1701a likes this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, that's a pretty lame attempt at whatever you're trying to convince us of. The incentives are still available for Volt & Bolt. That $7,500 tax-credit doesn't get reduced until next month. So if anything, there should be a jump in sales for those wanting to take advantage of that final opportunity. As for attempting to compare a nationally available vehicle to one with almost non-existent inventory in the center of the country, that reveals the opposite of what was claimed. What was your point?

We can speculate endlessly about GM's point, but it always comes down to wanting to out Prius, Prius... something that breaks the status quo... which didn't happen.

Realistically, slow is just fine if it gets the job done. That's why it doesn't matter whatever each legacy automaker does, as long as they actually do something to get their own loyal customers to change.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My guess is anything that helps to simplify would do the trick.

Somehow, we need to find a way to eliminate any confusion or intimidation.

Heck, even standardized signing would be a nice step in that direction.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes you can. Just because one station didn’t work doesn’t mean it’s the same all across the country. Or even in my country. You think we haven’t had problems with broken pumps or card scanners that don’t work? Or how many require to go inside to pre-pay at the pump.

Hell it’s more troublesome for me to refuel in the US than it is to recharge in Canada cause I have to walk into the store every single time because I can’t pre-pay at the pump (you guys require zip codes).

Up here, I just pull up to a spot and recharge. Most places don’t require a tap because charging is free.

I agree. There are more EVSE companies operating here than gas companies. But most allow for CC taps which is similar to gas pumps (well gas pumps require a pin. They don’t have tap yet so it’s actually more convenient than a gas pump).

Signing up just gives you charging history and the ability to receive notifications for charge interruptions or stop charging if you don’t want to roll over the next hour where there is a charging cost.

#348 Tideland Prius, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    austingreen likes this.
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to scan your credit card?? Why do you put up with such an inconvenience :)
    Of course, I suppose that is a minor inconvenience compared to pumping flammable, carcinogenic fluids:whistle:

markabele likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You don't need adapters to charge a plug in car at home either. The Tesla evse has adapters for using different outlets. There are adapters available for those that want to plug their vacuum into the dryer outlet. Tesla's charger can just take advantage of the higher amps and volts.

Diesel cars, including heavy duty pick ups, can't refuel using commercial truck pumps, and it wasn't that long ago when diesel was available at virtually all gas stations. The situation with different DC charging standards now is less hassle than fueling up a diesel car in the past. Daily charging isn't done at DC charging.

If all cameras cost multiple thousands of dollars, and film cost and development pennies, this example would be valid.
    Why does everyone forget that GM has two plug ins using the Volt drive train for sale in the largest EV market?

There are more choices of plug ins now than hybrids at the same point of development.

The Aviator will have a PHEV for 2020 model, and the Escape might be announced next month.ll

I've pulled up to gas stations that we're rebooting the computers and couldn't take any payment.

Zythryn likes this.
  11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are not helping your "cause" Zythryn.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well said and helps explain why GM did such a poor job handling their 200k threshold. GM could have halted sales at the end of a quarter and then let it expire at the front of the next quarter. That would maximize savings for their customers ... but there is another hypothesis. Perhaps GM customers share GM management's opinion about the Federal Tax Credit ... it was not a Prius credit competition.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no “cause” other than making sure casual readers understand that posts such as the one I replied to only apply to the poster, not to the vehicle.

As I have said many times, BEVs work far better for some people than ICE vehicles. For other people, they don’t work as well.
    Everyone is free to have their opinion about how it will work for the market as a whole, but showing actual evidence to support that is fairly sparse.

Trollbait likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM and other traditional car companies don't have the fine control over sales like Tesla does in the US. Barring safety and other legal reasons, they have little control over stopping a dealer from selling cars on their lot.

Something else to keep in mind about GM and the fed tax credit is that there may not have been one without GM lobbying for it

#354 Trollbait, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wish I could do that at charging stations that require payment, but sadly I first have to either sign up for that particular company's charging "network" and get a card/app or make a call and hope the company picks up the phone (which they didn't when I called SemaConnect).

Thankfully, pumping that flammable carcinogenic fluid is quite safe and easy these days, and in my case, only takes about 60 seconds on average. You realized that's a "charging rate" about equal to 5,000kW, right? 27,000 miles per hour is another way to look at it.

16. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As much as I love this back and forth banter (sarcasm), I think it's time we all agree to disagree. If there were people on this thread that were willing to change their mind, then I'd be all for continuing, but that's clearly not going to happen.

Thankfully my mind was already changed. Dinosaurs can continue burning their dead buddies, but I will move into the future with my amazing vehicle and will be thankful I decided to open my mind along the way.

3PriusMike and Zythryn like this.
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually this thread is a PASS/FAIL IQ test:
    • If you understand the advantages of a BEV and choose to stay hybrid or PHEV — PASS
    • If you choose to go BEV yet understand it is not a universal answer — PASS
    • I like PIE — PASS
    Bob Wilson

3PriusMike, hill, Trollbait and 2 others like this.
  18. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hate to be pedantic here, but gasoline is not flammable in its liquid state. You could put out a lit cigarette out in it. It's the gasoline VAPOR (gas state) mixed with oxygen that is flammable and even explosive. So, your liquid fuel sloshing the tank is NOT combustible or explosive. It's when it leaves the tank and evaporates and mixes with oxygen in the air that it becomes dangerous.

I think it's a very important point that many people do not realize. This is why we are able to carry 20 gallons of gas with us safely and not be afraid of getting on an airplane that has enough fuel in it to make a formidable bomb if vaporized, mixed with oxygen and ignited all at once.

Again, don't mean to be pedantic, but every time I hear "flammable liquid" in reference to gasoline, I feel like it's FUD and I do not like FUD (I think most people here have similar dislike to FUD).

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't like pie (really!).

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Technically, I can't think of a flammable liquid. There are liquids that are hypergolic and pyrophoric, so maybe that counts as flammable?