1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reasons NOT to buy the Prius C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Nel, May 20, 2013.

1. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is it me or are most of the people complaining about the C not actual C owners?

I do miss some of the comforts of my old fully loaded Sonata, but looking at my gas bill each time makes me miss them less and less. I'm ok without auto headlights, power seats, and big cup holders and center console that held crap I never used anyway.

I drove a hybrid camry recently and it felt like a boat. I've never cared for the look of the regular Prius' so I've never driven one.

The main reason I got the C was MPG. I also love the ease of city parking, tight turn radius, and overall look. I got my Four with the sunroof and alloy wheels for $23,140. I didn't haggle 1 bit.

2. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Got my C2 for $24K OTD. sigh....

Still doesn't regret it other than the engine noise issue. I think it's knocking, but other people say it's normal, so maybe you will get it in other cars as well.

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

Please share what you are smoking if you think you can get a comparable or better Liftback for the price that I got my C4 for... or share the link so future owners can get their new car.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Umm, only the tiniest cut back in power if you read the test results in posts above. Some of us actually prefer to drive a smaller car with tighter handling and better turning radius, and the electronics and features (turn signals on the mirrors, all door smart key operation, etc.) in the c Three and Four are equal to or better than those in the equivalent lifbacks.

The Fuelly numbers, also in a previous post, show that the c actually gets slightly better mileage overall than the liftback in the real world.

5. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wish fuelly would let us filter by city/highway %. It's possible that the c has a higher average because people who buy them tend to drive more in the city (c's average city % > liftback's average city %).

ftl likes this.
  6. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like I have a quote for a c3 with sunroof at $21700 pretax and pearl white :D. How's that sound to you guys? Its a 2013 too. Don't be shy about saying its a bit too much money. Some more bargaining could be done, but I don't want to lose my temper over something like $50

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2012 Toyota Prius C Long-Term Road Test - New Updates

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not really a reason to NOT get a Prius c, but the biggest aspect, issue, reality between a c and a regular Prius, is the simple fact you are going from sub-compact to a mid-size.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I may of considered a Prius c with a lot more conviction but was coming from a Honda Fit and kind of wanted something significantly different.

But if I was starting from scratch? I actually think driving a small car can be a lot of fun.

ftl likes this.
  9. Don't they have 3 cylinder cars? I know the UK has more and the old Honda Insights had 3 cylinders...that would make more sense in a sub-compact than to have 4 cylinders, wouldn't it?

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The old school Geo Metro had a 3 cylinder... it couldn't get out of its own way... a few years later they upgraded to a 4 cylinder.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The OP asked for reasons NOT to get a c. Had they asked WHY to get a c, the same folks may well have listed positive reasons to get one. We were doing as told.

Better turning radius
    easier to park
    Better gas mileage
    Less expensive
    more familiar to 'normal' car owners
    etc.

12. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

I can see where priuscilla is coming from though. The criticism I am looking for should ideally be from current owners, as I'm looking to buy one soon. I wanted to know some general drawbacks, but also the small nuances that only owner would probably know about.

Please keep the opinions coming. I haven't made the purchase yet and would still appreciate some good observations.

13. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, thats what I got from your OP. That you wanted feedback from people who have been driving them in the real world.

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you have not purchased yet I have 2 pieces of advice:

Read up on the customizations available for your car and get the salesman to agree to perform them pre-sale. After the sale, the Service Department will try to charge you. Sales want your business.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM52A36U/pdf/sec_6-2.pdf

While I have enjoyed both my Prius, no car is deal for everyone. While written while I had a Gen 2 Prius, most of this applies to all Prius.

considering a Prius | PriusChat

15. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've already owned a Prius before, so no worries on that part. The only customization I could think of is to keep the fog light on for 20 seconds after locking the car. I'm not even sure the C3 comes with fogs. Any thoughts on this?

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    C3 doesn't come with fogs... the C in general doesn't have auto lights.

17. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Of course the biggest reason to not buy the C3 is there is no place to store your Kleenex box.:)

RocMills and ztanos like this.
  18. blumenla

blumenla Spontaneous Adventurer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a C2 last January. I didn't test drive the next size up because I knew I couldn't afford it. I got a C2 because didn't see the necessity of getting the added frills in C3. I don't have any kids and pretty much drive by myself all the time and just needed a new car that did wonderful on gas mileage. Every so often I cram some friends in, on a few occasions, I did pack an infant car seat, a toddler seat and their mom with me and it made it tighter because we had to move the driver/passenger seats up a bit to accommodate for space with the car seats. The cargo space in the trunk is a little limited so overall, it's just a smaller car. So I think it totally depends on what you need to use it for, also, if you are a taller person, you probably will find more comfort in being the next size up. My head almost touches the ceiling when I sit in the back seat and I'm not quite 5'7". Other quirks, slower up hills, slow acceleration (you have to plan a few extra seconds in when making risky left or right turns). Overall, I'm satisfied with it, but I if I had a family, I could see this becoming too small. The next size up is roomier altogether and more of a full size car, the C is basically a mini version of it making it a great overall compact car.

RocMills likes this.
  19. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The pedal does go to the floor - push it down more :)

The c will beat many (most?) cars' 0-30 times; it'll complain loudly, but if you make it work, it will.

cknfts, ztanos and ftl like this.
  20. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just did a second test drive today on highway.... Good lord I was scared for my life for a split second. On eco mode and floored it to cut into the fast lane... Nothing! Now keep in mind my former car was a Prius also primarily driven in eco mode.

However, I just can't give up my mpg and the price difference from a lift back. Will be buying a c next week

Galaxy Nexus ? 2