1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebuild Engine/Cat or Replace the Whole Car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by theheapstoe, Dec 12, 2022.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I'm reading right, the concern is that the engine is using oil, and that the oil usage might be what has led to the catalytic converter code.

But at 12 years and 146,000 miles, some of the reduction in O2S capacity might just have been happening more slowly and all along. Those converters don't last forever.

While the OP has mentioned the oil consumption, I don't see any specific mention of how much oil it's using.

But if the CA emissions warranty is just for 150,000 miles, there are only 4,000 miles left to go have that conversation at a dealer.

I've heard that consideration often carries a lot of weight.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. theheapstoe

theheapstoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does! haha. My oil consumption is pretty heavy, basically an oil change every 800 miles.

If I looked at my warranty correct, it expired after 8 years. Do you know how I can verify that?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The easiest way is to call a knowledgeable dealer and ask. They should ask for your VIN and then let you know. I would ask more than 1 dealer, just in case the one you asked doesn't really know the CA emissions warranty