1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebuilt 2006 Prius Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by briansterling, Oct 6, 2013.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Brian, have you tried the simple step of just disconnecting power at the 12V battery (leave it off for a while to make sure everything fully loses power) and then rebooting the whole system?

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh good one Uart. I tend to over engineer the crap out of everything.Bet that works. Forgot abut that mode.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm going to go lay down now lol as Uart has a much clearer view on this than I do.

4. briansterling

briansterling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think everyone in this forum has a better grasp than I do, lol. Yes I have tried disconnecting the 12v battery for extended periods of time to reboot the system. I'm going to try testing the NEG relay but I'm betting on the ECU. Does anyone know which ECU module is "module A"?

5. briansterling

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I managed to test both relays with a 12v source and they work perfectly. I'm not sure how to test the precharge relay. Other than that the only thing left is the ECU or another fuse that I'm not aware of.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same way. The precharge relay just has a resistor in series with the contact.But downstream from the contact

When your testing you also can read the 201DC on the output of the relay too right?

But thats good so the relay assy is ok. The battery ecu is that silver metal can in the YouTube you posted. I believe.
    Never been in that battery box before thank god.

I looked in my 2007 Prius Electrical Wiring manual and it says a-b-c on all the ecu's. Different packages I presume.
    Sorry.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just looked on eBay and there's like 10 of the BCM ecu's for Gen 2 for $65 each.

8. briansterling

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may have just figured something out please let me know if I'm totally off-base. I couldn't get the relays to click from any 12 V sources directly from the battery of the prius. But I did get them to click from a 12v source that was external. I just measured the volts on the onboard backup battery in the prius and it was just barely over 10v. Maybe the contactors couldn't trip because it they didn't have enough volts. That's of course assuming that the 12 V power was coming from the backup battery and not a DC to DC converter on board the HV assembly. Anybody know what the resting voltage is supposed to be on the backup battery? I'm thinking of charging it up to 12 V and hooking everything back up.

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you say "backup" are you referring to the 12 volt battery that is in the rear on the passenger side under the floor?

I can say this. A fully charged AGM type battery will measure 13.1 volts at the post's with NO load. Generally speaking if the 12 volt is hooked up to the Prius it should read about 12.6 or higher at rest due to draw from onboard components. If it is reading 10 volts, the battery is discharged and should be recharged. That could be why the relays are not kicking since the 12 volt battery is the power source for the computers to boot up.

Please clarify what you mean when you say "backup battery".

10. briansterling

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes. Am I off on this one?

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, if the 12 volt auxiliary battery is reading 10 volts, your battery is DEFINITELY discharged. If you have a portable battery pack, try hooking it up to either the 12 volt or the jump point under the hood. Make SURE you don't get the polarity reversed! That should bring the voltage up if the portable pack is charged. Otherwise, hook up a smart charger and let it charge the 12 volt up for you, then try again. Very important if you try to jump it, DON"T REVERSE THE POLARITY! If you do it wrong, you will fry a lot of stuff and have more problems than you have now.

12. briansterling

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just took the battery completely out of the vehicle and I'm charging it with a three stage charger. I'll get it up to slightly over 12 V and then I'll reattach everything. But this also explains why certain things weren't reacting the way they were when I first started working on it. It's my dumb fault for just not thinking outside the box

13. briansterling

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As much as this will solve one problem it may not solve my entire problem as much as I would like it too. I don't think having the HV lines arc would necessarily put a drain on the 12v battery so I'll I'm probably still looking at a problem with my ECU.

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The computers boot up off of the 12 volt. Maybe one of the ECU is just not getting enough juice. I have heard others claim that 9 volts is enough, but I have heard others say different. It might be a ECU, since the relays seem to be working but the 12 volt being weak may also be the problem. Eliminate everything you can before you start throwing money at it changing ECU's.

15. briansterling

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very sound advice. I've got a two amp charger so it may be 45 minutes to an hour before I get up to 12 V. I'll check back in but thank you guys so much for all the help it's really made a Thone of difference.

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't know which battery you got. OEM limit is 4 amps, yellow top can go 10 amps. Set the charger on AGM for the correct parameters. Gel or flooded will not charge it all the way up. AGM is a little higher in the charging parameters of the smart chargers being made today. It will take longer than 45 minutes at 2 amps to raise it 2 volts.

17. briansterling

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I noticed how slowly it was charging after a few minutes. I wish this 12 V battery would charge as quickly as the individual cells did on the HV battery. I have a very generic charger that does not specify AGM, gel or flooded. Should I stop charging and find something better?

18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Brian,

I have a battery ECU from a 2004 HV battery. It was working fine when removed from my old battery that was replaced with a ReInVolt. PM me if you want it.

JeffD

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Work with what you got, just don't let the battery get hot and monitor the voltage.

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jeff, did you hear that Reinvolt was recently acquired by Dorman? It looks like David Taylor may have sold out to them.