1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall Alert-2004-2007 Inverter Water Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdenenberg, Nov 26, 2010.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughter got the recall done on her 04, the invoice said pump and coolant.

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. Coolant was required to be changed when the pump was replaced. Check your paperwork; If coolant isn't listed, go back and ask the dealer. Get it in writing that the coolant was changed.

3. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the late reply, but they are refunding everything. I paid with my AMEX and they are sending it in a check to my house. All $700+ bucks :D

Still waiting for it, 8-10 weeks they said

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    They were supposed to change the inverter coolant loop - "Trust but Verify".

The coolant for the engine loop was NOT changed as part of this recall so you will still have to do it as regularly scheduled.

JeffD

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

So we have established that the NEW part number is G9020 47031.

What is the OLD part number? The same, or -47030?

Following the usual codes, I bought a pump (-47031) and installed it in September of last year. It looked identical to the old part. This was prior to the announcement. My car is part of the LSC.

If I have the NEW part on the car, I'll get a refund. If it's the old part, I'll have them replace it with the new part. I can't tel lwhich and I do not trust any of the dealers near me.

6. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    mine was done today, took 80 minutes

7. nata$

nata$ New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got my refund back from Toyota for my inventer pump. Although they didn't refund the full amount of $450 they did give me back $387

8. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also got my refund -- $592...which I think was the full replacement cost.

9. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm in Ireland and they've started sending out letters to owners,i haven't received mine,however i had my 06 booked in for some minor work today and on arrival the service manager said they would be replacing the HV Pump also although i did replace mine at around 200,000km but i didn't buy the pump from them so no refund for me,i had planned to change mine again sometime this year,i'm at 340,000km now.

10. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New to this forum and only owned my Prius for 5 months but this sight and you guys rock I just checked my vin and my vehicle is eligible for new pump and new all weather mats from most recent recall.:clap2:

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! and :welcome: all the best!

12. kleber

kleber New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did recall water pump replacement damage coolant flow control valve position sensor circuit?

I have a 2005 Prius with 82000 miles on it. I have always had it serviced by the dealer where I purchased it. 3 weeks ago I took it it for the water pump recall. They replaced it no charge. 2 days later, the check engine light came on. I took it right over. The code was P1121 Coolant flow control valve position sensor circuit stuck. They found coolant was below "low" line on reservoir. They filled it and reset the check engine light. They warned me that if the problem reoccured I would need to replace the coolant control valve (pt-16670-21010) and that the part would have to ordered (about 100.00 plus 297.00 labor). Problem reoccured. Check fluids and they were full. Dealer asked me to bring it back in to get another code reading. Another 15 mile jaunt. Was told it was the same problem and that I needed to pay the deposit for the part and wait several days. I requested a conversation with the service manager before just paying the deposit. He was on vacation so I got an assistant. I explained to him that if this problem with the sensor in the coolant system occurred when they did the recall work, I should not have to pay for it. I was told they were not related and that it did not happen because they replaced the water pump. It seems to me they are part of the same system and that it was affected when they replaced the water pump. They agreed to order the part without the deposit and wait for the manager to return from vacation to discuss this with me. Does anyone have an opinion about whether the recall work would be trigger the need to replace the coolant flow control valve sensor?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The "water pump recall" has to do with the inverter coolant pump. That cools the inverter and transaxle. This is a separate coolant loop that has nothing to do with the engine coolant loop. This is why you will find two coolant reservoirs: the engine coolant reservoir which is behind the radiator and the inverter coolant reservoir mounted next to the inverter.

The coolant flow control valve is part of the engine coolant loop and is unrelated to the inverter coolant valve. Hence its failure was an unfortunate coincidence.

14. Robbie Love

Robbie Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you get the all weather mats? I entered my VIN but only the Inverter h20 pump came up.

15. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 EV Wantabee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    ------------
    Save your money and get a set at Costco, Kraco brand for about $20.00. They last for years.

16. Robbie Love

Robbie Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for the plastic ones. And a quick search of Kraco leads me to carpet mats. Which I already have..

17. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 EV Wantabee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Robbie- this is actually the wrong thread for this topic. However, to finalize my point: The Kraco brand I bought at Costco are All rubber, no carpet, and have deep channels for slush and rain.

18. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is part of the accelerator pedal recall, but ONLY if you had purchased the OEM Toyota all-weather mats. If you had purchased them, then they replace them with the updated version, as well as taking a hacksaw and cutting off the bottom 1" of the pedal. Since I don't have those mats, and since the standard mats don't come anywhere near the unmodified pedal, I've refused to let them butcher my car.

Still waiting to hear from Toyota if I'll be reimbursed for the inverter pump replacement done back in 2009.

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A member had posted photos of the new all-weather mats. They don't look very good so I will keep the all-weather mats that I bought for the 2004.

I also have been waiting 2 months to hear from Toyota regarding reimbursement for the inverter pump replacement. I'm only asking for the cost of the pump and SLLC coolant since I did the work myself.

I called a couple of weeks ago, to confirm they had received my letter request. Supposedly I should hear from them by the end of March.

20. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota received my reimbursement request on 7 Mar 11 (I sent it Certified -Return Receipt), but as of 7 Apr 11, there has been no response.