1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall Alert-2004-2007 Inverter Water Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdenenberg, Nov 26, 2010.

1. mig1980

mig1980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone experienced decrease in MPG after this recall. Nothing else has changed. Same tires, tire psi, driving habits, driving routes, etc. I notice about a 10 MPG differnece (lower) since I received the car back. I have noticed that when I get up to speed and cruise, the instant MPG doesn't go as high as it use to. I have been driving the car for the past 4 days since I received it from the dealer.

Any ideas?

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Maybe the dealer disconnected the 12V and the computer needs to recalibrate the MPG calculation. Drive for a few more refills and see what happens. Good luck! :)

3. gone2green

gone2green grumpier than the grumpiest old man you know ;)

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just had the dealer replace the hybrid coolant pump today and the belt and of course the reg engine water pump was leaking they said.. actually they said it was a very minor weeping, but in the desert heat of arizona not going to take any chances so had that all done. The inverter coolant is overfilled, anyone know if that will hurt things ? should I drain it down some to thhe full line? and would that cause poor mileage too? as I noticed the same thing driving home today thet the instant readout was off about 10 mpg...hmmm

4. mig1980

mig1980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone has any insight on this issue I am sure many would appreciate it as I still notice a struggle on MPG.

5. recycleman

recycleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Me too. Pump seems to be working(who knows) but I too have gone about 10mpg under also. They did replace the water pump and recalls at the same time also.

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did they change your tire pressure? Check and see if it's as high as you normally run.

I always make sure tell them when I go in for service not to change the tire pressure because some techs will set it back to 32 no matter the car and some will set it to the decal pressure no matter the current pressure.

It could still be some other issue but don't rule out the simple things until you check.

7. projecte36

projecte36 Junior Member

I just got the same errors today. I have a 2008 also. Should I bring it to get fixed at the dealer or an independent shop?

42,000 miles (Los Angeles, CA)

Edit: I haven't went to the dealership yet but after much research, it looks like I'll be covered with the 5 years/ 60,000 miles Powertrain Warranty

8. greengrasshopper111

greengrasshopper111 New Member

I had a 2005 get it's pump replaced last fall with the recall. It went dead in the middle of a busy road during rush hour.. bad deal. The pump ended up failing, then blowing fuses in the relay box causing smoking wires and electrical damage etc... i had read about this freak occurrence on Prius chat and discussed with the Toyota dealership that it was likely due to the increased amp load caused by the failing pump. At first he disagreed with me, but once it was all said and done, Toyota paid for the entire repair, which would have been very costly.

9. jlygrnmigt

jlygrnmigt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any luck getting this replaced twice? We received the car about a year ago as a gift from my MIL and she's taken very good care of it. We took the car in for it's 180k service interval about a month ago and there were no problems. My husband was midway through a 5 hour drive today and the check engine light came on with the big triangle warning, and he took it to the nearest dealer, about 15 miles away. They said the inverter pump was the issue and had he not brought it in, the impending meltdown probably would have made it unsalvageable. I'm not sure I believe all THAT but the replacement cost is $700 because it's already been replaced once, in 2011. This car has been a complete money pit since we got it, so I'm hoping that there's a way to negotiate this cost down.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't expect a second free replacement esp with 180K miles on the odometer. On the other hand, $700 is a ridiculous cost considering the repair requires at most one labor hour while the pump itself costs around $120 at list and you can probably buy it for less if you source from one of the Toyota dealers that sell at a discount over the web. parts.com for example.

If you depend upon dealer service and considering the miles logged, yes this car can become a money pit. Tell your husband to DIY if possible. I started this thread in 2009, prior to Toyota implementing the recall program:
    How to Replace the Inverter Coolant Pump | PriusChat