1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall (finally) SOSH-X22-1A - airbags

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by David Beale, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got our letter yesterday (second letter: confirmation the fix/parts are ready), booked for next Wednesday.

bisco, jdcollins5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after 45 years of a myriad of brands and dealerships, i can honestly say that they are all cut from the same cloth in my experience. some advisors are better than others, but that's about the extent of the differences.
    toyota would like us to buy from a dealer, and have all our service done there. it makes you wonder if they have ever experienced dealer service themselves. i'm always amazed when someone says they are happy with their dealer.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Some dealers "get it" and are in it for the long haul. They get my repeat business.

That being said, I still haven't made my appointment. I'm afraid, very afraid. ;)

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, shards of metal flinging out of the side pillars, vs the horrors of dealership maintenance..., don't rush me. :ROFLMAO:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i got one done today. i scheduled that a couple of weeks ago, but it happened i got a letter just now. it took 2.5 hrs total (including complementary car wash). they disconnected the battery though (had to reset clock, etc).

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn't loose any settings. Either they didn't disconnect, or used a memory saver techinique.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well it seems there is a shortage of repair parts now. The Service Advisor told me he would call me in about a week when parts arrived. I did not hear so I called this morning. There is a back-order on repair parts and they do not know when they may arrive but will call.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been happy with sales from a dealer. I have not seen stellar service from a dealer.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    got my letter today. haven't made an appt., but assume the parts are in. will find out soon.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe there's been a flood of people buying the $5 parts kit and a bag of gloves, and doing the work themselves. :)

-Chap

jdcollins5 likes this.
  11. glutaman

glutaman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got these elements done on my Prius last month as well. I live in Ireland. Went in for the 40k service and they saw it "popping up" - computer said beep.

12. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Got mine done today. Dropped car off at 7:00 and it was done at 10:00. Nothing lost in programming, no marks on interior. Boring. ;)

Interesting that the paperwork noted they "checked the driver side floormat". Noted it was "properly secured" (a Toyota carpeted mat). Guess they're still watching out for us/them. ;)

m.wynn and Tideland Prius like this.
  13. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I got mine done Wednesday. I didn't even make an appointment as I just dropped in. They gave me a rental due to the fact that they had to fix the timing chain cover oil leak as well so I can't tell you how long it took them to fix the airbag.

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I received a call at the end of last week saying repair parts are now in. So I have appointment scheduled for Wednesday.

Initially they asked to keep car all day and I asked what changed since first schedule when they said 1/2 day. She said they were doing 15 cars a day and only had 3 technicians trained on recall repair. She finally scheduled me for 8:00 and said it should be ready by 1:00 or so.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took the car in at 8:00 and received a text at 10:00 that the car was ready.

I could not tell that the Curtain Airbag trim had been disturbed. Good job!

16. Sus3an

Sus3an Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live on Long Island, NY. Got a first notice for my 2010 prius sometime back in the summer. Haven't gotten the 2nd notice yet. I guess a helmet might be a good idea? winter's coming and the roads will be getting slippery and stupid drivers abound

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Call your dealer and schedule an appointment. I do not believe you will need a letter. They never asked for mine.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got mine done today. The dealer seemed to be down two technicians, and my appointment was late in the day, so they were backed up. I figured it would help them out that, several weeks ago, I was tracing some of the antenna wiring, and already had several of the trim pieces removed that have to come out for the recall procedure. So on my car, they only had to do steps 15–18 of disassembly, the three steps of installing the brackets, and steps 1–4, 16, and 17 of reassembly.

Still took them an hour and twenty minutes. I was imagining some sort of conversation: "Hey! The procedure says I have to remove all these things, but they're already not there! Sensei! What do I do?"

They didn't seem to make much of a mess. My seat back wasn't quite reclined where I like it, my ScanGauge had all four gauges showing different ones than I had selected, and my shifter looked a little strange:

nkbo.jpg

I twisted it back the right way, but now it is a little less tight in the right position than it used to be. I never used Loctite when I put it on the first time. I'd kind of rather not use Loctite. I wonder if, maybe, a thin spritz of Plasti Dip on the threads would make it sort of reasonably secure, more like a Nylok feel than like Loctite. Might have to try that.

Dark by the time I got home, so I haven't had a chance to look up and admire the new brackets, which ought to be fairly easy before I put all the trimmings back on.

-Chap

bisco likes this.
  19. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "Electronic grade" silicone rubber works well on threads when putting plastic devices on steel. It uses a hydrocarbon solvent rather than acetic acid. Takes some time to harden, but it works and is easy to remove the thing later if you want/need to.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    csabl.jpg
    csabr.jpg

... it really is tough to get a view there with the headlining only lowered a bit.

The reason a bunch of the trim was already off, saving them some work, was I had been following an antenna wire back in late summer, and I knew the recall was announced and they would need some of the same trim off to do that work, so I didn't bother putting it back on. To protect one of the mouse-fur front pillar covers, I had it stacked in an out-of-the-way corner between pillows. What could go wrong?

Well, I neglected to iron the pillowcases first. In the time it sat there, every pillowcase wrinkle became a compressed-nap line in the mouse fur. Dampening it and (gently!) rubbing for a while seems to more or less bring it back.

-Chap