1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RECALL GONE BAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sleeping_doc, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Fusco who I quote:

"It is the techs who ought to be talking to the customers face-to-face when something like this happens both to explain and apologize."

One of the frustrations in trusting my car to a dealer service department is the "IRON WALL" of insulation which prevents my talking with the Tech who does, or will do, the actual work. Thus my preference when possible to deal with my independent mechanic. They almost seems to say "You do not have the right to speak with the Tech who works on your car!" And, PERISH THE THOUGHT of actually being in the shop and seeing what's being done to your car. I recently "crossed off of my approved list" a Firestone shop whose Shop Manager "attacked" me verbally for being in "HIS SHOP" while my car was being serviced. Insurance notwithstanding, there must be a better way to communicate with a paying customer.

2. DobrPrius

DobrPrius Junior Member

Well, my maddening experience with the stalling recall took a strange twist this morning when, unexpectedly, the dealership called to say my car was ready to be picked up. Yesterday, Monday the 14th, the Toyota rep said I should not expect a new ECU to come in until at least the beginning of December. One day later, everything is all wrapped up. I asked the service manager, of course, how he got a new ECU so quickly, and all I got was "we got lucky". Could they have cannibalized a Prius on the lot? I'm suspicious about this turn of events, but hey my car is back and it runs.

3. TWENTY564

TWENTY564 New Member

No, I'm in Brockton, MA.
    They told me today that they should have it ready by next Monday.
    :angry:

4. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the percentages? :unsure: You have to balance the cost of dual flash in every vehicle against the cost of having one screw up once in a while. This clearly seems to be a training issue of the dealer's Pri-tech.

It makes me nervous everytime I drop off any car for the dealer/service guy to fix on his own. (I'm still not sure how good a job Putnam Toyota did with my 5k service.)

What ever dealer cooked the ECU should be falling all over himself providing you with a loaner car. If they are not then I think a nice letter detailing how the dealer cooked your car to Toyota USA would be in-order. :ph34r:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Wow Charles-
    I think you're right to not go to that place again. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you should be able to talk to your tech. My husband says the best part of his job, aside from the satisfaction of a hard day's work, is meeting all the interesting people whose cars he fixes. Any time he sees a license plate from our home state, even if it's just some little thing like a damaged tire, he will go out and say hello to the owner.
    I encourage you to keep patronizing the places that let you talk to the techs. They shouldn't have a problem with the guy taking 5 min to discuss your car and satisfy a customer to bring in return business.

6. Bossman

Bossman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Just to let everyone know ....
    I had my 50P service today. I dropped the car off at 8:30. Picked up my loaner Camry at 8:35. The dealer called me at 12:30 saying the car was finished. I also had an oil change and both the air filter and cabin filters replaced (30,000 miles). The experience was perfect.

For the gentleman who complained that the air pressure was off by .5 psi between the left and right side, you have got to be kidding me. This will make NO difference in either the handling or mpg.

After driving the Camry this morning I appreciate the Prius even more.

Alan

ps Go Maryland

sorry Galaxee I had to do it. :rolleyes:

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

8. Sensible Bob

Sensible Bob Junior Member

Brought my 2005 Prius in on Nov 02 for drift to left when braking, intermittent. Asked them to also see if my car was covered by the recent recall.

After 4 hours, they told me they had bad news. Computer was "broken". They provided me with a Prius 2006, no charge, no paperwork. Estimate was new computer would be available in a few days.

On Nov 05, got a call that computer would not be available until Nov 11.

On Nov 11 got a call that computer would not be available until early Dec., enjoy the loaner.

On Nov 15 received call that computer was in stock.

Picked up my own car on Nov16 and returned loaner.

When asking about details re computer, I asked if they broke it. Before person at desk could answer, another person stepped in and said that Toyota had messed up. Explained that for about 3 days, dealers across the nation, were ending up with "broken" computers and needed replacement.

Summary is exceptional reponse by dealer. Still not sure what went wrong.

Bad news is that car still pulls to left, sometimes, only when braking. Like left wheel grabs sooner. So, even though they had my car for 2 weeks, my original problem still exists.

Because of good response to computer problem, and intermittent nature of braking pull, I will return to same dealer and give them another chance to correct it.

I have also heard something about GPS disk recall? Not sure where, but in last few days. Any news about this?

9. ez2bgreen

ez2bgreen New Member

:( Sorry to hear about your problem. I just had my SSC-50P taken care of yesterday...no problems, so far. :) I think that's 4 SSCs in 2 years (Toyota apparently prefers the euphemistic 'Special Service Campaign' over 'Recall').

Other than those, I've had only one other problem. The on-board computer quit working, and the LCD panel had to be replaced. After waiting several days for the part to arrive, I took my car in for the installation. I left it for the entire day, after which they delivered the wrong car (but with my new LCD in it). The dealer sent me home with a rental car (at no cost to me). And hour later, they called to say my car was ready. If it only took and hour to remove it from one car and put it in mine, why did it take all day to put it in the wrong car? :angry:

10. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Doc, I wonder if the techs go through the old medical saying about a procedure~:
    "See one, do one, teach one" :D

11. Melissa coulter

Melissa coulter New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi im a new prius owner and my husband has an older one that just jad the computer up grade. That was about two weeks ago and all the sudden the glitch they claimed it was fixing happened! Now he will have to tow it in amd hope for the best. Do you have any idea if they will take ownership of it? How was your experience?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome melissa!

trying to get a response from a 10 year old post is difficult. why not tell us what year, and what recall? it's on the paperwork they gave you.