1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall - Prius ECU brake update completed today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by IrishPrius, Feb 23, 2010.

1. IrishPrius

IrishPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update took 30 minutes. Before recall did not notice anything unusual about brakes. Maybe that brake pedal had further to travel to be as effective as second family car (non hybrid) but braking was as effective.
    Since update I have noticed brake pedal feels exactly like non hybrid car in that very little brake pedal travel has greater effect.
    Would be interested to see exactly what is going on here. Are non regen brakes engaging earlier and if so will this affect fuel economy?
    Also at the same time got dealer to get rid of that constant reverse beep and now there is only one beep when initially put in reverse.
    Dealer was excellent and very apologetic. Brought to customer waiting area which had free tea/coffee, comfortable seating, newspapers and several computers with free broadband internet for customers while waiting for service.
    But I do feel a change in normal braking.
    I really think, despite all news reports, that this will blow over and Toyota will get over this.
    Anyone notice a difference in economy?

2. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got my 2010 brake ECU reflashed yesterday here in the USA, and noticed no difference. It was raining/snowing/sleeting here and was driving appropriately for the conditions so I can't say if I would notice under dry road conditions.

The brief reduction in brake force when braking lightly over uneven or slippery road conditions is not something either my wife or I notice too often, and we both thought it was at about the same levels as on our 2007 Prius (sadly wrecked by a deer last year) and absolutely nothing to be alarmed, or much concerned over as the car always would stop regardless. We just thought it's a slight quirk in how hybrid cars work, like the engine shutting off every now and then. If people insist it was more common on the 2010 I'll not argue, but we did not notice it to be so, albeit from our memory of the behavior of the 2007 version.

Rumple

3. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did notice the problem before and now feel the difference.
    I agree totally that it feels more like a non hybrid car and waiting to see if it effects anything else like MPG. I think I'll do the same with reverse beep next time I service the car.

4. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have a 2010 mpg baseline to use for before vs after the brake campaign. I sort of hope Toyota hasn't gone and overcorrected the issue now. As for the reverse beep. I disabled it on my old 2007 Prius but have decided to leave it alone on the 2010 because I was sometimes ignoring to even look when I backed up--dangerous chances. Anyway, I realized that the beeping helps me focus more on my backing up use of the camera.

5. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My Prius's reprogramming is planned on March 19th.
    I will keep you informed of my felt.

Friendly, Guy

6. Holmesman

Holmesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I experienced the brake problem twice since purchasing my 2010 Prius. After getting the update, I drove over the same railroad tracks where I had the second experience and applied the brakes. The car acted normally. Since then I have tried to recreate the problem on several bumpy roads but as yet have been unable to.

As far as the feel of the brakes, I feel no difference when applying the brakes. Some here have posted that the brakes now feel different, but to me they feel exactly the same.

1 person likes this.
  7. prius4driver

prius4driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got a letter from my dealer about the recall this week. My only incident with the brakes was just after I got the car and I attributed it to a slightly slippery road--didn't know about the "problem" at that time. After yesterday I really joined the ranks of those experiencing the braking "hesitation"--and know the first time was probably ice. I hit a pothole coming up to a stop on a freeway off ramp. Just kept pushing the brake and no problems and no panic. Sort of glad I found out what people were talking about! Will probably get it fixed in the next month. Now--have to find the thread where the "grabbing-brake-while-in-reverse syndrome is discussed. Had to shut off the car and restart to get backed out of a parking space yesterday. Not a good braking day!

8. IrishPrius

IrishPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update to above. There is no difference to fuel efficiency as far as I can see. Highway/City driving economy the same.
    Based on 1500Km(1000miles).