1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall vs Loss of MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by thomas goddard, May 16, 2014.

1. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We've lost about 3-4 mpg since the ECU recall (from 50-53 to 47-49). Next oil change I'm thinking of asking the shop if there's anything to be done about this. We've got nearly 120,000 miles on the car, so I guess I can't really complain...

2. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Before the ECU recall we were getting about 50-53 mpg in our 2010 Prius. The car has consistently averaged this mileage since shortly after we bought it and we really learned to drive it. After the ECU recall (about 3 tankfuls ago), we have been averaging 47-49 mpg. I asked the Toyota shop foreman if there was anything to be done about this, and he said they haven't really had any complaints of this sort, and that it may take a while for the fix to break in (?). We've had NO other trouble of any kind with this car since we've had it, and it has nearly 120000 miles on it. So I guess we'll just be satisfied with our current mileage since we certainly can't get something any better.

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now that I'm able to take cold weather out of the equation, I'm seeing a reduction. Probably about 3-4mpg at the moment. Need to double check air pressure, but this is consistent with what I got when it was colder too. I'm going to say something when I take it this week for 20k miles. I'm sure the concern will be brushed off.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Following this thread for some time, I'm thinking for owners reporting such dramatic mpg drop, maybe the dealer messed up the update??

For us, post update, I'd say if anything the mpg has gone up. Post update, my wife out-of-the-blue says she likes the way the car goes into stealth more readily. I'd not asked her anything on the subject, this was just her impression. I noticed the same thing.

And I'm sure something happened: right after the update when I started the car it showed a warning "check hybrid system". They took it back in, checked it out, message gone.

5. grin19

grin19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HELLO ALL with a recall MPG issue. I took my car in today to the dealer. By the time I got there, I had driven 120 miles of "moderate driving". I usually get 46 MPG with this. I had 33 and dropping. They reset the software and took a test drive. BETTER. I drove it another 50 miles at fast and slow speeds and I am back to 44 MPG. I plan to watch closely. Maybe the dealer messed up the 1st time....I have not clue but it the problem recurs, I will post here. AND the dealer said this is the 1st they have heard of this. I trust my folks her in NC so I hope this is correct.

6. thomas goddard

thomas goddard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, last tank was 51.11, which is about 2-3 mpg better than I was averaging prior to the recall being done. It took a whole tank for the computer to "re-think" itself. I think I will live with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Sierra Mark

Sierra Mark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've seen my mileage go up slightly since the recall. Be sure to have your battery checked. A weak battery can cause poor mileage.

8. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I observed a loss of about 5 MPG, comparing the same period over last year. It goes about 58~60 MPG Summer time last year.

Maintenance schedule, car status, routes, all remain the same...

Or unless I got more aggressive on the road?

Or is it that the battery starts to degrade?

9. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Checked your tire pressure lately! H

10. grin19

grin19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OKAY, on my 3rd tank of gas....combined mileage is 40 which is 7-8 less than usual. I asked the dealer about this and they gave me the "deer in the headlights" look.

David Taff likes this.
  11. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what happened to me when I had the recall done at the same time I had my 15K service a month ago. First thing I checked was the Air pressure when I got out of there. Sure enough they were all at 32 and I keep them at 38 and check bi-weekly. Once that was completed I'm still getting the same MPG as I was before. So I guess I got a good guy to hand the ECU recall thing?

12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When in doubt, you should always tell the service rep the PSI you want your tires set at. This way, if they check and see it's over the recommended PSI, they can leave it alone per your instructions. Otherwise, they will adjust it.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    32 psi's signficantly lower than the Toyota spec., not good.

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC 32 psi is norm for most autos and trucks. Maybe not ideal, but not "underinflated" enough to be a danger.

15. Golfinut

Golfinut New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Add another to the 10 mpg drop after update club... Avg is down to 36 and we actually get better mileage running in PWR mode. I called dealer who performed service this am... Waiting on response now but this is a real issue.

It's not tire pressure related... All those checked in fine.
    I will trade for a bigger vehicle if it stays like this... Can get 35 on a Small SUV these days.

16. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since summer is now here; we all can test our MPG with last summer results,:cautious:
    to see what the REAL difference is ..... If any.;)

17. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a gain of about 2-3 mpg

18. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius III with 6000 miles. I have yet to break 50 MPG calculated. Before the recall, St Louis, MO (my location) was still in the throws of the coldest winter in decades (which explains the low mileage for the first 3-4 months of ownership). Since then, my mileage has increased, but I stuggle to even get 50 MPG displayed for a tank. I am a careful driver and utilize stealth, SHM and moderate acceleration whenever I'm driving. Tire pressures (checked yesterday) are 40 PSI front, 36 PSI rear. I need to take my car in for the first ToyotaCare checkup this week, so I think I'll mention that the mileage has been lower than expected.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Close to 50 mpg's not bad. What's your location? What sort of distances are you driving, and at what speed? Hilly or flat?

What's SMH?

20. Ray-o-Vac

Ray-o-Vac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Mileage stayed steady at about 51 mpg average even after the recall. The first tank after the recall I got 54.4 mpg. No complaints