1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall vs Loss of MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by thomas goddard, May 16, 2014.

1. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    St Louis, MO
    My commute is 7 miles each way, 80% on straight, flat 35 MPH roads (meaning I do 40-45 MPH and pulse-and-glide or stealth mode)
    I have taken two round trips to SW Ohio (one in February @ 38-42 MPG calc, averaging about 75 MPH; one in June @ 46-47 MPG calc, averaging about 70 MPH), each trip is about 750 miles
    My most recent tank was 47.9 MPG display, 46.5 MPG calc @ 419 miles (9.01 gallons), I do not record average speed so I cannot provide that information

SHM is Super Highway Mode (Ugh, what exactly is Super Highway Mode (SHM)?? | PriusChat)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    46.5 mpg translates to 5.0~5.1 liters/100 km (sorry, metric challenged). Assuming just you in the car, and with everything you're throwing at it, that is kinda low. Speeds aren't too high either. Could be the relatively short commute is a factor, warm-up time.

Our current tank is displaying 4.1 liters/100 km, which likely means 4.3~4.4 calculated, which translates to around 53 mpg. That's pretty good for us though, not sure why: the lifetime average (fuelly icon) is at 5.1, but that's all kinds of weather, and I'm not the principal driver... Also, we've got the 215/45R17 tires. It's a mix, some short trips, some longer trips into town, about 20 km's each way.

How many miles are on the odometer? Has mpg been dropping? One thing you might check immediately after a drive, feel the rims near center, see if any are markedly warmer, indicating brake drag. They'll all feel slightly warm, but just see if one or more are extremely hot.

3. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will check the temps. My drive times are fairly short, so that might have something to do with it, but it seems odd that even the most carefully driving (without utilizing EV for acceleration) would net such a low number with the factory 15s and one occupant.

4. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, past two drives I have check the temps on the center of the wheels, all feel just slightly above ambient, none are hotter than the others.

It was weird two days ago, though. After I checked tire pressure I drove about 3 miles and when I arrived at my destination (driving very slowly as I pulled up in front of the building) I heard a metal-on-metal grinding sound from the right-front that sounded like the brake heat shield was rubbing against the rotor. I gave it a slight push (a couple pounds of pressure) toward the center of the car between each of the spokes and haven't heard anything like it since.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding your first paragraph, that's good news.

Regarding the brake splash shield touching, it's very easy for a wheel to brush that shield when it's being removed. You need to lift the tire off the studs and bring it straight back towards you, but if your arms give out it tends to drop and snag that shield. Could have been bent when the wheels were being rotated, a brake inspection, whatever.

6. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The wheels have not been off the car since I bought it (Jan 15) with 45 miles on it. No idea how the shield got bumped out of shape, but it seems to be ok now.

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I have very similar commute, but longer. These are my indicated cumulative MPGs:
    1st mile: 15-25 MPG
    2 miles: 30-35 MPG
    3 miles: 35-40 MPG
    4 miles: 40-45 MPG
    5 miles: 40-50 MPG
    6 miles: 45-55 MPG
    7 miles: 50-60 MPG
    10+ miles: 55-65 MPG
    The numbers vary a lot depending on temps, traffic etc. Average speed 21-26 MPH. Calculated MPG 50-55.

Considering your short commute, you are doing fine.

8. grin19

grin19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am still having the same issue. Milage in city is 36. Three trips to the dealer. I am going to get rid of the car an go for a diesel.

9. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unfortunate if those reports of decreased mpg are true. I have not experienced it myself.
    But for the record, there is no frigging way you get anything close to 36 MPG in any diesel (or "small" SUV) available in USA.
    I owed and owe enough small calls to know 30 mpg in city is the best one can hope in non-hybrid cars with automatic transmission. And 20 mpg in a "small" SUV.

#49 Former Member 68813, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  10. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You can easily get 35 MPG on the highway out of a CRV or similar vehicle. A diesel can easily get 55 MPG or higher on straight highway cruising. Hybrids are most efficient in the city, diesels are most efficient on the highway.

11. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it. I owe RAV4, toyota's version of CRV, except for V6. 18 mpg city/24 mpg hwy. Real life. I don't care that EPA says.

Do you owe CRV or "similar vehicle"?