1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall work on 2002 Prius for false main battery warning

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Megan Wells, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Megan Wells

Megan Wells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Got a recall letter last January from Toyota concerning a false warning light on my model. Letter mentioned that moisture in the cables was triggering a false warning message about the main battery. My 2002 was having this problem. The dealer refused to do the work. Told me they did that recall work in 2006 but I did not have the problem back then and Servco Hawaii told me that Toyota had not put that out as a recall back then. The light has gone off and on now for a year. Car drives perfect otherwise and only have 60,000 miles on it. What do I do?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the Gen 1 forum from the Prius v forums

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Be glad a 10 year old car is still running. At that age any car is pot luck.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you referring to January 2013 or January 2012?

Which dealer are you talking about? Is the dealer located in Hawaii?

If you are in Hawaii, write to Servco Pacific, providing a copy of the recall letter and a photo showing the warning light on, and ask for help in getting the dealer to provide the recall service.

If you are in the continental US, write to the Toyota Customer Experience Center in Torrance, CA, referring to the recall letter, providing a photo showing the warning light, and ask for help.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Let's go over some background:
    • 2001-03 sedan body Prius - we call them the NHW11 model as opposed to the NHW20, 2004-09, a 1.5L hatchback, and the 2010-current, ZVW30. Your car looks like the older Ford Focus.
    • NHW11 battery modules - these were the first generation and your traction battery has 38 in series, ~272V although it varies.
      • Toyota identified an early problem with electrolyte leakage and applied a fix that put 'glue' around and a small abortion pad under one terminal. This slows or prevents a current leakage to ground, a ground fault.
    • Battery leakage to ground - this usually follows a small, electrolyte leak, that eventually reaches the case of the traction battery. When humidity is low, the electrolyte is dry and non-conductive. But in high humidity, it forms a small current path and the car detects this 'ground fault.'
    • A ground fault - over a long time, months or longer, will reduce the charge balance between the 38 modules. It also signals the electrolyte is probably corroding the copper buss connections between the modules. It signals a problem that left uncorrected tends to get worse.
    These are the known fixes:
    1. Remove traction battery; disassemble down to modules; clean everything and remove corrosion; balance the modules, and; reassemble battery. This is something 'home mechanics' have and can do with a work area and tools. Est. $200 if need tools and/or replace buss bars and 'home mechanic' rates.
    2. Toyota traction battery replacement. Unfortunately, this uses the same NHW11 modules that are know to have weak modules. Still, it works and avoiding heat can give the traction battery an easier and longer life. Est. $2,200 in North America plus labor.
    3. 3d party, NHW20 module battery replacement. Using modules from salvaged, recent Prius provides used but much improved modules that are more robust than the NHW11 modules. Est. $1,800 in North America plus shipping and labor.
    You have time to consider your options. If you get a Prius-aware OBD scanner (~$150,) the folks here are more than willing to talk you through what it takes to see exactly the state of your traction battery and general health of the car. This is not 'rocket science' and if you can send cell phone messages or possibly have an Android, we're here to help.

Bob Wilson

6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If it were Taylor Automotive fo Summit NC, no problem. They know how to measure module capacity and provide balanced modules.

I don't know these folks. I would recommend giving them a phone call and ask about what they do after the modules are removed.

A personal prejudice, I usually find there often is an inverse relationship between 'eye candy' and 'technical skills.' But then I like Apple products so it isn't a hard rule of life.

Bob Wilson

8. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a bad deal. They are probably "pulls" from wrecked 2012 cars. While it's not wise to buy 01-09 pulls without some kind of testing unless buying from a known reputable seller, you should be ok buying wrecked 010-012 packs if the seller can confirm the donor was a low mileage vehicle.

Physically 010-013 slices are the same as 04-09, which means they'll also "sorta" fit in Gen1 battery case.

9. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I dont mind if they are used , I figure theyy may have only 0 to 50k miles on them