1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Received my invitation to order a Model 3 today

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Apr 18, 2018.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The new Highlander hybrid is coming next year, to be built in Texas. That could be the start of finally getting a hybrid pickup.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    WHAT????? First you said that you put down a deposit in January/17, now you say you put a deposit down in April/16. The website very clearly states the reservation deposit is $1000.

If in fact you put a deposit on a reservation in April/16, your delivery window would be May - Jul/18 for the $49,000 model. If you want the base $35,000 model, you would order it in Q4/18. There is no bait and switch, Tesla is very clear what your choices are, it is up to you. If you don't like your choices, cancel your reservation and get your $1000 back.

There is no $32,000 model.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but I know when I'm being trolled. POOF!

bisco likes this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are incorrect. The least expensive model 3 for order at this time is $49,000. And we don't know what a Lexus compact or midsize BEV would be priced at, because there aren't any. "Rumors" don't qualify as a Ct BEV for sale.

Doubt all you want. We'll see who is correct.

Be my guest to purchase one, I wish you would. Where can I see one? Hybrid sales are being converted to PHEV sales and PHEV sales are being converted to BEV sales.

No worries, Tesla is making a BEV Semi and a pickup. Tesla will give you choices.

4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Let me simplify this for you. When I speak of market leadership, I am speaking of dominant market share and customer loyalty at a specific price point. However, that is the traditional definition of market leadership and it is changing. Tesla has been a market leader in bringing new sustainable fuel vehicles to market as the way for a sustainable and survivable future. It is not all about making as much money as possible for the shareholders.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ...to the point where you are describing basically every automaker except GM. We have all witnessed how much Nissan has pushed for the same thing you describe. The efforts from BMW are quite noteworthy too. As for Toyota, there clearly isn't a motive of maximizing profit.

The reason for this exercise is to get those involved to step back and look at the bigger picture of how change takes place. Tesla deserves recognition for their efforts, but it isn't the only automaker providing contributions. Tesla is a player on the team, just like Toyota and the others. Some offerings obviously reach certain markets better than others. That's confirmation of multiple leaders.

It's the king-of-the-hill nonsense obscuring overall purpose... hence consideration of mission statements.

6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This might be sacrilege at PriusChat, but they are currently evaluating my 2012 Prius C as a trade-in. It's been over 5 days. On the other hand, Carvana was able to give me a figure in minutes (I made my order deposit on March 23, 2018).

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    “They” being Tesla?
    Have you made the configuration and order yet?
    When you first place your order, there should be a section on your Tesla account page asking if you plan to trade in a vehicle.
    If you check ‘yes’, there will be a note that they will reach out to you closer to the delivery date for additional information.
    For us, that was active once we got our VIN, which was about a week before delivery.

Last I knew, Tesla uses a third party for non-Tesla vehicles. Perhaps car-max?
    The general rule is you can get more money from a private sale than trade-in.

el Crucero likes this.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Perfect, now we've got some cryptic Tesla Troll, Trolling the Toyota forum.
    I guess misery loves company;)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is a tesla thread in 'other cars' forum, not toyota. you must have clicked the wrong link.

markabele and Trollbait like this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I expect Toyota can catch up on plg ins when they want too. The thing is that if everybody took this slow approach, we wouldn't have plug ins on the market now. We'd likely still be driving ICEs with a few hybrids while waiting for hydrogen FCEVs.

The LS 500h starts at a higher price than the Model S. Toyota was likely going to price the iQ EV with just a 50 mile range near $40k.

The system in the LS 500h was likely developed for a truck.

To have a chance at significant sales, a hybrid truck will need to be RWD, and an independent rear suspension could be viewed as a con by potential buyers.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder what percentage of pick up drivers would care about a hybrid. might work better in suburbmoms.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, some suburb moms ARE pickup drivers.

bisco and LasVegasaurusRex like this.
  13. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Around here, and I imagine in MN as well, it seems like all moms think they have to drive a big SUV around.

bisco and LasVegasaurusRex like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. will they be interested in less pollution, renewable energy, better mpg's, who knows?

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is enough of them, or the need to meet stricter CAFE standards, that has Ford releasing a full parallel hybrid F150 in 2020. A diesel one comes out very soon, and all the current gas engines have start/stop standard.

Outside of rental companies, trucks tend to be commonly bought for business use, and those customers will care about operating costs.

17. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    1) I do not believe so. Tesla's advertised price includes the tax credit; the true MSRP is what Tesla lists + $7500.

2) We know what Lexus compacts an midsizes are priced at. We know that they are fairly inelastic in terms of price / market segment. While you're right it's not set in stone, it's certainly more reliable data than any of Elon's claims.

3) Rumors/concept cars are exactly as (im)material as the Model Y is -- wishful thinking until they're available for sale at car lots.

...I am. Model Y production line hasn't even started, which means it won't be out by 2019.

Just like Model 3, Model X, Model S, and Roadster before it, the Model Y will arrive a minimum of 1.5 years later than claimed.

For sure, Toyota's snail pace is infuriating. Something ~halfway between Tesla's pace and Toyota's would likely be ideal.

for businesses there is only one number that matters, cost per mile.

how many truck sales are for actual work vs lifted bro-dudes is anyone's guess.[/QUOTE]

18. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm way ahead of you. Photos were submitted last Saturday through Tesla's own mobile upload site. Tesla does their own evaluations now (perhaps they contract with someone, but it's transparent on one's order management page). Most comments about the new trade-in process show offers being generated within hours rather than days. Just bad luck, I suppose, or they instituted some changes recently (the trade-in value is good for 30 days or 1000 miles). Anyhow, the offer came through today, and Carvana is almost $900 better. I imagine I'll have a hard time getting more than $6400 for this 70k mile 2012 Prius C in even a private sale at this stage (I'm in a semi-rural area as well). I'm hoping to complete both the Carvana sale and Model 3 pickup on the same day next week (Thursday). It's only been 2 years and (almost) 1 month that this process started. :eek:

#58 vinnie97, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    el Crucero likes this.
  19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is incorrect. The prices listed by Tesla for the Model 3 do not include the tax credit.

Great to hear they did come through with the offer. Mine took a day. We will have to see how long my wife's offer takes in a couple weeks when her's gets close :)

In our case, in MN, we only pay sales tax on the difference between the price of the new car minus the trade-in value the 'dealer' paid. So for us, even if they don't pay as much, it saves us a chunk of the sales taxes, which makes it worth it.

20. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    wjtracy likes this.