1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Received my invitation to order a Model 3 today

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Apr 18, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is incorrect. The list price does not include the tax credit simply because everyone will not qualify for the tax credit because they don't owe $7500 for taxes in the year of purchase. Here in California we are eligible for the Federal tax credit and a $2500 State rebate (subject to income limits). So that $49K car really turns out to be $39K in California. But Tesla is about to reach the limit of their allotment for the Fed tax credit (will be halved on either 9/30/18 or 12/31/18) and so is GM with their Volt/Bolt. There is some talk in Wash. D.C. about extending the tax credit limit but who knows.

I haven't found that to be the case. Toyotas prices are elastic when a particular model doesn't sell well. Tesla doesn't need price elasticity because they have a waiting list for their cars. Tesla's problem is not enough productivity to meet demand.

Tesla has been very reliable in their introductions. In fact Elon initially said the model 3 was going to be produced in 2019. He brought the car out, for better or worse, two years ahead of schedule.

Model 3 was unveiled on 3/31/16. First cars were delivered in July,17, fifteen months later. IF the model Y is introduced later this year, it is conceivable that first deliveries will occur in late 2019.

Again, that is an exaggeration. Tesla's production of the model 3 will increase in June/18 six-fold from production in January/18. They will be producing about 25,000 per month by then. Model Y will come on line a lot faster than that.

I'm not infuriated by Tesla's pace, I rather like it. What I am infuriated about is climate change and the slow pace of our government to do anything about it.

In my case, my cost per mile is zero because I have Solar City panels on my roof and I will charge each night for free.

Zythryn likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not small businesses.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting list...quite an incentive for new car purchase in some cases
    > Washington DC- Hybrids and plugins over 40 MPG CITY pay no excise tax anyways, asterisk on that one
    > Virginia taxes cars heavily which I argue hurts car sales as well as green car sales

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hm, car delivery happened on the 26th, but I made the 2-hour trek knowing full well the paint was chipped (kudos to them for the courtesy call). I accepted delivery anyway (another month minimum to get another VIN assuming that would even be offered), so now I must wait for 2 more weeks for them to get it fixed by a 3rd party body shop. I hope the repair isn't worse than the defect: Another poor visit with Tesla Service. | Tesla Motors Club

I also noticed hairline scratches scattered over various parts of the vehicle, asymmetrical panel alignment (likely within specs), and weather stripping on the rear passenger door that was detaching. Everything but the latter can likely be satisfactorily fixed (hairline scratches by the paint protector applicator/ceramic coating detailer, I hope), but this is a bad initial experience especially since another person who received their vehicle on the same day was able to drive off the lot. As nice as this Mercedes-Benz C300 loaner is, I'm over gas guzzlers (Carvana took the Prius C off my hands last Thursday, which will be missed), and premium fuel is not exactly cheap right now. Also not looking forward to making 2 more 4-hour round trips to the Las Vegas cluster (once to finally take actual ownership of the vehicle, a second time to pick up after Xpel/ceramic coating).

At this point, not an experience I would recommend unless you are in closer proximity to a delivery center.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Very sorry to hear that Vinnie.
    My friend and wife both have deliveries coming up soon. I'll advise both to take a careful look at the cars before handing over the check.
    Fortunately I've been very happy with mine which arrived with only one minor issue.

6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in the 146xx range VIN-wise, but the paint chip could have happened during transport and same with the scratches (but the latter could have easily happened at the factory or from carelessness at the delivery center; the vehicle being delivered next to mine was white, which is the only color for people like me apparently). The rest can be squarely placed on the manufacturing team/factory. This kinda' thing kicks my OCD into high gear given the price. Assuming lack of satisfaction with the repairs, these are likely all defects forgotten in a year of ownership or less, but I'm not going to be much of a word-of-mouth cheerleader in the interim. I'm also less likely to put on an Xpel paint protection application if the color matching is off.

#66 vinnie97, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  7. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Over 2 weeks later and still no closer to a true delivery (most recently, the vehicle was returned to the body shop for substandard work).

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch. Returned by Tesla, or you? I hope Tesla caught any issues rather than missing something and waiting till you found it.

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's seems the Semi is on the shelf now and may never be built.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I probably shouldn’t, but do you have any references for that statement?

Trollbait likes this.
  11. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla fortunately so kudos to them on that front. This is feeling like more of a Frankenstein vehicle as opposed to a new one.

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you read the news?

13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ahhhhhh, that article was written by a Seeking Alpha analyst who have been notorious for writing articles bashing Tesla in order to make a financial gain by shorting Tesla stock. Looking for accurate financial information from Seeking Alpha is like going to a certain cable "news" outlet to get accurate, unbiased, unfiltered world news.

Zythryn likes this.
  15. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most news is bias one way or another. He make a valid point.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any kind of bias is NEVER valid. This kind of justification needs to stop right now!

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear it was Tesla.
    Very sorry about the pains you are going through. Just make sure to take all the time you need to insure your new car is in new condition.
    It will be worth it, and the pain will fade quickly once you have it.

LOL! Referring to the opinions on Seeking Alpha as “news” is like referring to a game show as scientific peer reviewed research.
    I don’t believe you can see through your bias to determine if a point is valid or not.

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    @orenji How old are you? Based on the way you are acting...either a 70+ bitter old man, or a whiny know it all tween. Please let us know so we can tailor our responses accordingly.

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope so, both the delivery center rep and the Service King manager explained the work done would make it look the equivalent of a brand new vehicle. I guess that's easier said than done. This loaner C300 is nice except for the 91 octane fuel it requires...

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does the fuel flap and/or manual actually say requires, or is it recommends? If the latter, regular octane will be fine.