1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Received "the Letter" from SCE today!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by el Crucero, Oct 31, 2015.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We received the letter from SCE (Southern California Edison) that they are now going to charge a MINIMUM of $10 per month for electricity usage.......whether you use any electricity or not! This, of coarse, has all been approved by the PUC.

This is an assault by the utility companies on the significant movement to solar in Southern California. But it is really going to pi$$ off those folks who are not on solar and live or travel out of State for significant periods of time.

I can't wait for the day when I can go completely off grid.

iplug likes this.
  2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, this is a head scratcher. What was the PUC thinking?

el Crucero likes this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A majority of the members of PUC denying the inevitable! Read between the lines!

4. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently moved to SoCal from NY. In Upstate NY my utility bills ran $200 to $300 per month. Most everything is pretty costly in SoCal but my utility bills have been trimmed to about $15.

Yes we have a solar system. We lean on the SoCal grid every night and in the morning before the sun comes up. It seems $120 a YEAR for grid services is not too expensive. A battery system to achieve the same thing would be far more expensive!

Trollbait likes this.
  5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Agreed. But would be far more fair to charge everyone connected a grid service fee. So get rid of the minimum charge, and bill a connectivity fee directly to all.

If someone wants off the grid, more power to him/her. Just makes no sense that the heavy solar generators or low electricity utilizers should have to shoulder the costs of the grid connectivity that the others need even more.

Trollbait and el Crucero like this.
  6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay, that's fine, but I produce more electricity than I use. Yes, I get a rebate at the end of the year, but the rate of the rebate is far less than than SCE's retail rate. SCE says that is because they are charging me for use of the grid. So I am paying for the grid TWICE - $10 per month AND receiving a rebate at lower than retail rate.

Bottom line is that the utility companies are trying to find a way to profit (not just cover their costs) off of solar generation. I am willing to pay more for a reliable battery system rather than being a golden goose for the utilities!

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Utility companies already profit from solar arrays.
    When I am producing more energy than my house uses, it goes out to the grid. However, it doesn't go very far.
    It simply powers my neighbors houses, and perhaps their neighbors houses. Most of the time it doesn't even go through the neighborhood transformer.

As such, line losses are much less. In other words, 1kWh of excess energy that is used by my neighbor means the utility doesn't need to generate 1.08 kWh of energy (to account for line losses).

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think both our electrical and natural gas bills have some "cover charge" elemements. Agree, it's frustrating, when you're doing your best to minimize usage, makes these constant charges all the more apparent.

9. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Why would you anticipate being paid the retail rate when you are offsetting power purchases from the wholesale market that would be below the retail rates. In effect if they purchased power from you at the retail rates all your non solar neighbors would be subsidizing you.

10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    o_O Allow me to repeat myself,......... because I am paying for using the grid twice, if you believe what SCE is telling me. I don't believe SCE, they are trying to find a way to profit on the private solar industry to enhance their bottom line.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't blame the utility, their job is to make money. blame the legislature for dropping the ball.

bwilson4web and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some of the extra charges on our utility bills are actually unrelated to the commodity, just a tax some level of government has insisted they collect.

el Crucero and bisco like this.
  13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree that the California PUC does a vary bad job.

Austin Energy charges everyone $6.50/mo for things ike grid maintenance and operation, help for the poor to get electricity, etc.
    I think your anger should be at the PUC, and the california power regulation. Remember SCE went bankrupt and california decided that rate payers needed to pay of the bad decisions. Then SCE tried to increase San Onofre nuclear power plant, and the PUC decided that they could charge rate payers for botching that and shutting it prematurely.

California appears to be the home of the most privaged power producers, and one of the most incompetant regulators, but no you don't deserve to get paid retail for the power you produce. You simply get to opt out of SCE incompetance. Wholesale on both would be fair for up to a zero power bill, but grid charges would be on top of that. Over 0, that depends on what the grid operator needs to pay to incorporate your power. In southern california with the dead nuke, I would think you should be able to produce a much higher amount than 0 net bill, but that probably should only pay around $0.03/kwh.

14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Utilities should be non-profit organizations, blame whomever you want.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should be is a matter of philosophy. i happen to agree with you, but if i owned one, i'd soak the ratepayers for everything i could get. it's up to the voters to pressure government to control the natural urge for profit taking.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And THAT is what is what SCE is doing! If it were a free market system where you have competing choices, I'd say go for it, but when it is a monopoly like a utility, and they are trying to make a profit on my alternate energy source (solar), different rules need to be applied and they will be, as fossil and nuclear fuel utilities screw themselves out of existence.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe to get away from fossil we've gotta take another look at nuclear? Don't want to open a can of worms tho. Just forget I said that, lol.

bisco likes this.
  18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The problem, Mendel is that nuclear fuels, like fossil fuels, are non-renewable resources. Using nuclear fuel is heading down that same dead end path! Plus we have the even bigger problem of how to dispose of that spent nuclear fuel.

Solar, hydro, geothermal, and wind power are the energy sources of the future. It is time for the utility companies to get off their lazy, price gouging butts and invest in new technology.

As an aside, 45 years ago, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) tried to get me fired from my job when I went to one of their "public service" meetings as a private individual and challenged the lies (later confirmed) they were telling the public. Fortunately, my employer laughed at them and said what i did on my own time was not any of their business. These utility guys don't play nice!

bisco, Mendel Leisk and bwilson4web like this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    prices are coming down however. And when it pencils out things are really going to start putting the hurt on SoCal Edison.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like tobacco, they see the writing on the wall. but their not going down without a fight. it's too lucrative. just look at what the ceo's are making in salary, bonus and stock options.

#20 bisco, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015