1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Receiver hitch and scooter ramp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cathy K, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Cathy K

Cathy K New Member

My daughter recently ended up in a wheelchair and we are going to be getting her an electric scooter. I'd like to be able to put a receiver hitch on my prius and use it to mount one of those tilting scooter ramps to carry it with. Has anyone out there done this? Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish it? Thanks. Cathy

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Coastaltech.com has a receiver hitch for both the '01-'03 Prius and the new '04. Heard it will hold 200 lbs. at the minimum. For attaching a bike/snowboard/ski carrier or an add-on 'stuff carrier' (luggage/boxes/camping gear, etc). As soon a money comes in I want to do just that, to carry bikes in the summer and my 'board in the winter. They have some other really neat 'toys' at Coastaltech, too! Love my Prius! It just gets better and better.

3. KathyY

KathyY Member

Just put the Coastal 2 inch receiver hitch on my car. It really only took my son-in-law a few minutes to put it on. We got it for the bike rack. It looks like it belongs on the car--not like an add-on.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I did this exact thing with our 2002 Prius. My wife has MS and uses an electric wheelchair (Quickie V121) when we go out for extended outings (i.e. county fair, Disneyland, etc.). We've found the Hitchhiker carrier combined with the Coastaltech 1¼" receiver hitch fit the bill perfectly. When not in use, the hitchhiker folds up, and the trunk is still accessible. The hitchhiker is bolted to a 1¼" insert with a 2" lift (it's one that came with the Drawtite hitch that we had on my wife's previous car, which my 2004 replaced).

The only downside with the setup is that with the 2002, the rear does "sag" a bit w/ the chair and battery in the trunk, and I'm concerned that over time the springs may develop a sag unloaded. Headlight aim is also affected (though wouldn't be on the 2004 w/ HID's due to auto-leveling lights). Also, because the chair back sits higher than the trunk line, there is some noticable drag which keeps MPG's in the high 30's or low 40's for highway driving. Her mobility, however, is worth that expense and those mileage figures are still far better than any other comparable method of transportation.

I eventually plan on putting the Coastal Tech 1¼" on my 2004 as well so that we can use the chair with either car. The 2004 has a higher trunk line and may not suffer the same MPG penalty. Plus the 2004 has NAV and other "comforts" which make it the preferred trip car.

As for Scooters - we found that the Superlite scooter by Wheelcare fits perfectly in the 2002's trunk, and w/o the basket, fits in the 2004's hatch as well with seats up - both eliminating the need for a hitch carrier.

One last bit of advice - look into the carrier's hitch requirements before purchasing the hitch. The Hitchhiker required a 1¼" receiver - so buying a 2" would have eliminated that choice for us. Also keep in mind that the receiver hitch is rated at no more than 250 lbs, and the overall weight shouldn't exceed the GVWR of the car when loaded with passengers and other cargo.

Good luck on your search!
    -Rick

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wonder if there are adjustable suspension kits for this sort of thing. Something you can boost when the weight is there and let back off when not needed so the ride isn't unnecessarily stiff.

6. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

7. Cathy K

Cathy K New Member

Thanks for the info Rick. We've got the hitch ordered and are now deciding on the carrier, so I guess weight will need to be one of our factors. The scooter we are currently using is older and fairly heavy. I'll let you know how it all come out!

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Air Bags are a thought, as well as adjustable air shocks. We're not talking about alot of weight, but the Prius springs are probably pretty light duty compared to bigger cars.

Even stiffer springs would probably be okay in our case and not have too much of an adverse affect on handling.

Or for the quick and dirty, there are those "spring helper" wedges you can slip between the coils of your current springs to keep the back end up.