1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Receiver Hitch Installation Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gwjohng, Nov 21, 2005.

1. gwjohng

gwjohng Junior Member

I ordered the ther Coastal Electronic Tech receiver hitch. I understand that I need to remove the plastic under body thingy on the driver side. My silly question is... how do I undo the fasteners that hold that plastic under body facia in place? I don't want to force them off.

Your help is appreciated, thanks.

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Did you read their instructions? (Maybe you don't have them yet). They make every step crystal clear. Set aside an hour. Spend the last half if it drinking a beer.

3. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

If you mean the little black plastic fasteners, just pop the center section up with a flat screwdriver or like object, then the whole thing will pull out with minor force. If I recall, there are two hex bolts under there as well before the skirt comes away. Get something really heavy duty when you go to pull the BIG bolts from the tie-down brackets (where the hitch will be placed) cause those were insainly firmly attached. Good luck!

4. gwjohng

gwjohng Junior Member

When you say "just pop the center section up" do you mean, pop them *down* (assuming that I am looking up at them as I lie under the car). Thank you for your advice.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

yes just push the center section in about 3/16" and it will allow the whole assy to be removed.

6. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Yeah, by "up" I meant away from the surface of the car. So, those underneath would pop "down" with respect to the earth. The pop should take little effort. If you are going "Uurrrg!" something is wrong.

7. membluess

membluess New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK so we all know that a curt or another brand of hitch is made for the prius. I see the specs as 2000 pulling weight and 200 tong weight. Thats great. So can the 2010 prius handle 2000 lb's of weight to pull? What about drive-train warranty? I thought all bets were off if you put a hitch on the car. I think I would talk to Toyota and see what they had to say before installing a hitch no matter how easy it is. I really dont think they offer it as an option.
    I would love to be able to tow a small canoe or similar type boat, when I asked about a hitch, they told me at the dealer there wasnt one for that car. From what I know, if it was possible to screw an elephant to the roof to make a profit, Toyota would have it on the show room floor :)

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the range of rules/laws that we have to obey, putting a hitch on a Prius is right up there with doing 66 mph in a 65 mph zone. Yeah, you could get a ticket for doing 85, but 66 is no problem. Just exactly what the practical speed limit is is a judgement call on the part of the cop observing you.

Same deal with a hitch. Toyota rates the Prius for zero towing capacity. Are they going to void your drivetrain warranty if you mount a bike rack on a hitch? Not likely. If you blow the engine while towing a 5000 pound mobile home, do you think they owe you a new engine? Fat chance.

The practical limit is somewhere between the bike rack and the mobile home. I've towed a 560 pound teardrop style trailer behind my 2006 Prius. Not a problem. Would I try 2000 pounds? No. 1000 pounds? Yeah, it would probably work. Running at 80 mph up a long hill in the Rockies? No way.

The zero tow rating for the Prius looks to me like a CUA lawyer speak. Toyota may have good reason to say such things, but that still doesn't mean that you can't use your own judgment. And a reasonable dealer isn't going to punish you for having a hitch with a bike rack attached.