1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recent Consumer Reports Review of 2023 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Marine Ray, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That kind of set up is hard for me to get in and out of a car.

2. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    This CR review has to be a joke. It's like they set out beforehand with a negative slant - looking over at each other for confirmation of their negative opinions. Groupthink at its best. "I think it handles better"; "I tried to make it sound as noisy as possible". Wth?! :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

This car has been described as a concept car come to life. It was jaw-dropping when I first saw it in person. It's windshield rake has been compared to a Lambo. Yet... yet... it gets massive fuel economy when driven how most Prius owners drive their cars... smartly.

It is tighter inside, but that's a trade-off that most people besides cab drivers would gladly make once they walk up on this work of art. I'm 6'3 (barefoot) and I bought one. You lose about half the headroom from before (I owned a 2019), but I had room to spare in the Gen4.

A redesign for the ages.

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These measurements are not drastically different. My biggest concern now is how comfortable/uncomfortable it will be to enter and exit the car. I’m only 5’3” but just turned 60. Wish used Gen 4’s were available and not so darn expensive.

4. Hctim

Hctim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The getting in and out would be a concern for me also being a gentleman of a certain age;). The reason I went with the Prius V was it was easy to get in and out of. I'll have to wait and see if I can find one to try out. Maybe rent one for a day and see if I like it. No 10 min test drive. I would put a lift kit on it anyway as my V would hit anything higher than a snakes butt. Also if it is noisy as they say I would not have a problem putting a Dynamat sound deading kit on the car. Maybe a CVT sound blanket?
    Those are one time fixes but you get in and out all the time...
    Maybe if it does not work out a RAV4 hybrid or Camry hybrid would work...
    mitch

daisy555 likes this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the idea of a lift kit too but I was laughed at and told it would void the warranty. My 2009 Prius almost gets stuck on certain speed bumps. There are parking places I can’t drive thru because it’s so low.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Heard there was a trick of timed accelerating and braking to get Corvettes over speed bumps without scraping. Maybe that would help.

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just found a 2020 white Prius XLE AWD Toyota certified with 17k miles for $29,875. I actually don’t mind the look of it. I like Blizzard white over the stark wind chill pearl. It’s lower to the ground than my 2009. How do people manage this? I suppose it’s crazy getting a 2020 when I can get a 2023 with newer technology for 4k more.

It’s the larger cargo area, smaller tires and taller entry space that’s a plus on the 2020.

mikey_t likes this.
  8. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I sure as heck don't slow down for them. lol

Car seems to go over them a lot smoother at 20-25mph than it does at <10mph. Of course, speed bumps vary quite a bit in size and shape from region to region. ;)

9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have some monster bumps here in CT and RI. I’m careful and almost became stuck on a couple of them. : /

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I take regular speed bumps at DEAD SLOW, slower than walking pace. The wider, more gradual one I slow quite a bit, but they're a little more gentle. It'd be interesting to see if there's a correlation between suspension/wheel bearing failures and speed bumps.

bisco and daisy555 like this.
  11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do the same thing! : }

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

My 2007 went to daughter a few years ago, cat got stolen, no comprehensive she didn’t realize it, the car ended up on a used car lot as a parts car. I drove it off the lot new with one mile on it in 2007. Quotes were $3500+, plus the towing as it was far from home. It’s a shame. Both if us have AAA now.
    Now I have been waiting for the 2023. Ok not to be offensive to the Gen 5 but I just bought a 2020 prime instead. I had already had a 2020 prime le, but sold it to carvana. The recent one is a Limited with all the small options like door edge guards etc. Price I paid almost same as got for le from carvana, both mileages low not that far off to matter.
    After much thought I realize I’ve warmed to the styling, and I like the old larger window greenhouse view. Sort of a Prius trademark. Prices going down due to the new one. I don’t need or want a faster car.
    I am very happy as I know the car exactly, and I can say 50 mpg on gas mode is not what I will get. It will be more. Last car I will have barring an accident. With it in beautiful shape, not unhappy getting the outgoing model.
    Tires, they are one of the cheapest sizes, another plus. 12 volt battery is under the hood, ++++. Dealer sells a new battery for $156.
    I don’t know about the 2023 but the later gen 4 all hybrid versions came with most if not all the safety features and even park assist standard. Not the prime which is why I pined for the limited which does have it all.
    One thing I have learned in life, go with what you want and be happy, and others can do the same.

bisco and daisy555 like this.
  13. Richard III

Richard III Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e

Hybrid 500 miles with 10 gallons of gas...honestly if I'm stuck in traffic and can only go 100 plus miles on the highway. I'm not happy. And you all fo know , electricity is NOT CLEAN ENERGY

14. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on how your electricity is generated, doesn’t it?

15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for sharing this. That’s too bad about your 2007. My cat was stolen this past year too.

I’m now really bummed I didn’t buy the 2022 silver XLE when I had the chance. Anyone not happy with their silver 2022 please think of me!

Today I was able to sit in a 2023 LE and the chemical odor coming from the seats was unbearable for me. Miraculously I was able to get a test ride as a backseat passenger in a 2023 Prime XSE. A couple was trying it out before potential purchase and invited me to join them! Their second car is a beautiful red Tesla. Prime back seats are not as comfortable as Gen 2/4 but that’s the least of my worries. Softex didn’t have the strong odor thank goodness.

I was able to sit in the Prime driver seat and make adjustments in order to see the digital display BUT the steering wheel was almost hitting my legs. So strange considering the steering wheel is unusually small, I’m only 5’3”and have average size legs. I like the exterior and dashboard/info screen of 2023 but the large tires, funky steering wheel and low entryway are bothersome.

Seems crazy but my 2009 has a more sophisticated interior design. What’s a gal to do?

I’m taking the 2020 white XLE for a longer test drive tomorrow. This car purchase is an inheritance gift so I’m having a hard time thinking of getting a 2020 for 30k instead of a 2023 for 35k. Now imagining myself getting the 2023 to give me time to find either a 2021/2022 silver xle or maybe another presently non existent hatchback with better mpg in 2024/2025/2026. Without this situation I’d be looking for a $15k Prius. : / Where’s a crystal ball when you need one?

#75 daisy555, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  16. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, I WOULDN’T touch a used car at that price. The hybrid Corolla crosses are tricking out, the awd Corolla hybrids are out there… so many better options than a used Prius.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are only a few areas in the US where a Prius will do better than a Prime in EV mode.

18. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That's the way that I see it too. For every watt that reaches the electric motor of a BEV there is likely to be a watt and a half generated through the combustion of Natural Gas. How much of that is extracted through the use of Fracking?

From Is Your “Natural” Gas Actually Fracked? - Sightline Institute ; What percentage of US natural gas is extracted using Fracking?

Nationally, fracking produces two-thirds (67 percent) of the natural gas in the United States, according to the US Energy Information Administration, and approximately 50 percent of the nation's oil.

I don't think that there is anyone who feels that it is environmentally clean to be expending huge amounts of energy to force chemicals into the bedrock and then capturing "most" of the methane that is released. The part that does not get released into the air is eventually burned to run generators when the electrical grid can't keep up.

Only one car manufacturer that I have seen has acknowledged that part of the carbon footprint. Sort of. :)

vw_polutes.jpg

19. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree but need close to 50mpg and hatchback.

20. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Corolla Cross hybrid.

IF you can get one it'll certainly hold its value should you find a better car for your needs in the next couple of years.

daisy555 likes this.