1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recent Consumer Reports Review of 2023 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Marine Ray, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Hctim

Hctim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I was looking at a viable alternative for my needs. A 2023 Carolla Cross Hybrid. Same engine/transmission as the new Prius but more of a station wagon/compact SUV than the Prius. Same size as the Prius. Not as sloped windscreen so it's not in your face, smaller A pillar and a bit more trunk space with the seats folded. The car is a bit higher so you are not sitting on the floor. Fuel miles not as good as the new Prius but there are always tradeoffs. I'm reading 42 mpg combined..
    m

Montgomery and daisy555 like this.
  2. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If it wasn't for the fact that I want a 'Prime' I'd be all over this. Think it addresses the yearning of Prius owners who miss the larger hatch volume of previous versions.

See C&D's glowing review:

2023 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid: Three's Company Too

Hctim likes this.
  3. Hctim

Hctim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    "Think it addresses the yearning of Prius owners who miss the larger hatch volume of previous versions."

and And AND‼️...it has a rear window wiper
    m

Nntw likes this.
  4. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a thought... when considering your 'needs'... have you built a spreadsheet that factors in price, depreciation, insurance, as well as fuel consumption?

Sometimes the answer is very different when you drill down and take in more factors....

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No spare on the Corolla Cross Hybrid though, as far as I can tell, searching through specs and brochures.

6. Hctim

Hctim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    This vid shows a spare... and a real volume knob on the radio...
    m

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  7. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to 2005.

That’s when I realized the awd Sienna didn’t come with one.

Didn’t stop me from buying it and driving it 150000 happy km.

#87 Nntw, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Richard III

Richard III Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    A used prius is the best car option there is in my opinion. Not only have they existed for uhm 40 years. But they also last a long time with very low maintenance. I don't know anything about the other cars you mentioned. But I have a 2016 prius that's a dream car. I don't put a lot of miles on a car but I still just love the prius. I have a 2023 prius brand new derived in March. I also think Honda accord sport is a nice car for a non hatchback. Lots of cabin space. But you can read reviews all day long on used prius and you will find a lot la lot of amazing positive things.

9. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    2023 Toyota Corolla Cross & Corolla Cross Hybrid Specifications | Toyota Canada

Canadian Corolla Cross has TPMS across all models.

Doesn't mention a spare....

Similarly:

https://www.toyota.com/corollacross/features/mpg_other_price/6312/6314/6316

US Corolla Cross has TPMS across all models.

Doesn't mention a spare either....

A US dealership reports:

https://www.villagepointetoyota.com/toyota-reviews/2023-corolla-cross-hybrid.htm#:~:text=The%202023%20Corolla%20Cross%20Hybrid,falls%20below%20the%20optimal%20range.

What Safety Features Does The 2023 Cross Hybrid Include?
    The 2023 Corolla Cross Hybrid has a standard full-size spare tire, and the regular model has a tire pressure warning system to alert the driver when the pressure of the tires falls below the optimal range

However, some of the writing on the dealership's website is a bit awkwardly phrased.. so maybe they just cribbed some info from a website somewhere.

#89 Nntw, May 9, 2023
  10. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I mean... if you're willing to forego the whole point of a Prius, which is amazing fuel economy, you may as well widen your scope to other vehicle manufacturers. A family member just picked up a KIA Sportage Hybrid and it is really, really impressive. If you get the FWD, you'll enjoy 44MPG and have mid-size SUV cargo space (40 cubic ft.).

https://www.cars.com/articles/up-close-with-the-2023-kia-sportage-bigger-really-is-better-444003/

And the LX is incredibly inexpensive while enjoying dual climate, heated front seats, active lane keep, 227 HP/258 lb-ft turbo,...

KIA and Hyundai are really kicking everybody else's a$$ when it comes to bang for the buck.

#90 Preebee, May 9, 2023
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like this a lot! if they made a plug in or ev, i would take a hard look

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Toyota US site mentions a tire repair kit. A manufacturer isn't going to supply that with a spare.

The Corolla Cross manual is like the new Prius. The fixing a flat section talks about using a spare, and shows such an option.

Sounds like it had a spare upon introduction. 2023 might be the first year without.
    "The Corolla Cross comes with a spare tire, which we are always happy to see, but when you consider how much cargo space it eats, we can understand why so many of Toyota's competitor have ditched the spare in favor of a repair kit."
    2022 Toyota Corolla Cross First Drive: This SUV Is a Corolla Through and Through

13. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    A law passed in 2000 made it mandatory for all new cars to have a TPMS standard by 2007. That's 16 years ago.

The TPMS might use an actual tire pressure transponder or it could detect the difference in RPM of one tire as compared to the other wheels.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the US. Not mandated in Canada, and we have plenty of Canadian users here.