1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recent SOC behaviour on cross-country trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dragonrand, Jan 5, 2008.

1. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just drove about 1200 miles each way for the holidays, from Springfield, MO to Salt Lake City, UT, and back. On the trip out I took I-80 across NE and WY; on the return trip I drove I-70 thru Colorado and Kansas. I've owned my 2005 fully loaded Prius for about 3 months now, bought as a certified pre-owned from the local Toyota dealer with 56,000 miles, now with 67,000 (I also have a long commute).

I'm curious (and slightly worried) about my observations of the SOC of the hybrid battery during my trip. It's my understanding (from John1701a.com) that the method in which Prius climbs most hills often leaves the battery with a higher SOC at the end of the climb than at the beginning, and my own daily observations (on my rather hilly commute thru the Ozarks) bear this out. So I was a little concerned that something was wrong with my Prius when the SOC sat well below what I'm accustomed to seeing during the cross-country drives.

Driving west thru NE and WY there are some periods of significant climbing, and my SOC sat below the halfway mark more than I've ever seen, at times sitting in the red for long periods (or dropping into the red) even while the energy monitor indicated power flowing into the battery. I was worried that something was going wrong with the inverter or system that monitors and controls the flow of energy. (I remembered efusco's recent comments about grill blocking causing his inverter temp to spike in 40-ish temps; and in fact before leaving on the trip I removed most of my grill blocking to be safe, leaving only the top upper and the bottom lower slats blocked). Once I arrived in Salt Lake City, however I again observed "normal" SOC behavior (better than half full, usually between 6-9 bars), and the SOC continued in the familiar patters during my 2 week stay.

Driving back, I opted to take I-70 thru Colorado, which needless to say involves some serious climbs, two of which are particularly steep and long. On both of those climbs, the Hybrid battery was completely drained, dropping to only one red bar shortly into the climb. I backed off my speed considerably to see if Prius could find the "sweet spot" that would allow it to slowly charge the battery during the climb, but to no avail.

The other odd thing I observed is that on the trip out, after cresting a hill that had left the battery completely drained, the SOC remained essentially empty for some time during the downhill coast, then suddenly and quickly reached a "full" SOC -- much faster than I've ever seen before. From empty to full probably took less than 30 seconds. I'm not sure if this is what the battery actually experienced, if there's a lag in the SOC display due to the way the SOC is measured and reported, or what else it might be, but between the low, extended SOCs and the hyper-fast recharge, by the time I reached my destination I was worried that something was wrong. Only the normal operation of the car during the 2 weeks I was there (and since I've returned) makes me think that the car is probably fine, and that I was driving under exceptional or unusual circumstances that gave me the strange readings.

My question to the group is: do I need to be concerned? Is this normal? Did running the Prius with such a low SOC potentially damage or shorten the life of the hybrid battery? Do I have possible inverter or other electronics issues? I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who drives Prius in or around Denver, Vail, or other mountainous regions to see what's "normal" for them.

Thanks in advance for all replies, and thanks for reading a long post! I love my Prius!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Without addressing each of your issues individually, what you describe does not sound like grounds for concern. The Prius has the traction battery to allow it to adjust to different driving conditions. As you have noticed, sometimes the SOC goes up on a climb, which is because the Prius decided it needed more ICE, so it might as well run it in an optimal zone and use the excess energy to charge the battery. A long climb may well pull down the SOC, especially at speed. The poor little ICE is doing all it can do, and then you ask it for more, so the SOC gets drained. It won't hurt anything, except your maximum power will drop off when it happens. SOC can come up pretty fast on a downhill, and there is some delay in the MFD display. If you were seeing other problems during normal driving, then it might be a red flag, but not under the conditions you describe.

Tom

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I can't answer your questions but one thought I had while reading it was what else you were using that also draws on the HV battery and the outside air temp, driving speed. What did you get for mpg on the trip? The computer protects the battery from being excessively drained, so I would not worry about that.
    One other thought is whether the MFD is showing SOC accurately, especially since you said you saw it jump to full in less than thirty seconds.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Very important to understand that the full SOC is 80% and empty SOC is 40% battery capacity. This is shown as the full range on the MFD and as a result, sustained drives up serious inclines with the pedal floored will use up most of this quickly (expecting serious power is usually needed for temporary highway merging). Also, the bars on the MFD also have a lot of hystersis, causing a small SOC change to possibly show up as a three bar change.

Now on top of all this the Prius is trying to keep the battery at a 60% SOC. So if you have a higher SOC, the Prius is looking for ways to use the battery. If the SOC is lower than this, the Prius is looking for opportunities to charge. Into this mix you throw these big hills (up and down) in your drive. I would expect the MFD bar display to be all over it's range.....and the Prius to handle it just fine.

5. Bear68

Bear68 Member

You might also want to bear in mind that the little animation on the MFD screen is just that. An animation. It is not meant to be a truly accurate representation of what the HV battery system is doing. The ECU that controls the battery works in conjunction with the HV ECU which controls the invertor and drive unit. They react so quickly and to so many different inputs that it would be nearly impossible to show you on the MFD what is going on....... Use it only as a guide, not as an absolute definition. Trust the car. If the ECUs see a malfunction they will let you know. Lots of red lights and even a buzzer or two if it is something serious....

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't worry, sustained climbs can draw down the SOC. You didn't mention anything that would give me concern at all.

If you want, send me a PM and we'll get together sometime (I'm in Nixa, work in Sgf) and compare cars so you can see if they behave the same.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Without two pieces of information, it is impossible to tell:
    • grade - the altitude change per mile
    • speed - the velocity going up the hills
    It would be nice to know the vehicle weight since the greater the load, the more energy it takes to climb a hill. Still, my lightly loaded but less powerful 2003 Prius has an optimum climb speed up a 6% grade of 55 mph and energy neutral at 60-65 mph. Above 65 mph, my Prius has to draw from the battery to maintain speed.

Bob Wilson