1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recent Windshield wiper & Hood Release Issues - RESOLVED

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NatefromRI, Mar 15, 2023.

1. NatefromRI

NatefromRI New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I now have 166K miles on my 2011 Prius and it's been running pretty much like a top - well, until last week. I was driving in a bit of a rain shower and my wipers were set to intermittent. We were almost home when suddenly the wipers binded together. The driver's side wiper ended up pointed to about the 2pm position and the passenger wiper was facing about 11am on the windshield. Essentially it looked like an X formation as they bumped over each other and stayed locked together.

When I got home I tried to reset them but they stopped working completely. I could hear the motors functioning but the wipers wouldn't wipe. I took it to the dealer expecting to pay several hundred dollars to replace wiper motors but as it turns out, somehow the bolts that attach the wipers to the wiper motor had loosened, and all it took was for them to be repositioned and the bolts tightened. I was pleasantly surprised that I only had to pay the diagnosis fee of $120.

I'd also been having problems with my hood release cable. It acted as though it had been stretched, and no longer opened the hood more than a few millimeters. They ended up cleaning the cable, and that brought it back to life. Good thing too, as they told me the 20111 Prius hood cable is not adjustable, and must be replaced if it stops working - at a cost of $600-$800 (dealer price).

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wouldn't replace the cable at 6 to $800 I would trim it long enough along the upper radiator support and put a little piece on that and just leave it hanging in the radiator support so I can reach through the grill and pull on the cable pieces left pretty easy to rig up actually before I spend 6 to $800 for somebody to try and snake a cable through No sir hell I have a 2010 with no hood on it right now can't find one anywhere drives great who needs a hood driving slow and dropping off food is not even affecting drag coefficiency that bad

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My ride in high school had a fender missing for a while, but that throws up a lot of mud in wet weather.