1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recharge household batteries?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Aug 3, 2024 at 1:15 AM.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your pictured AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium claims a shelf life up to 20 years, which works out to a self discharge rate of under 0.4%/month.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine didn't last 20 years
    It didn't last 20 MONTHS - but it wasn't in storage.
    upload_2024-8-6_13-35-33.png
    The Romeo 7 doesn't have shake-awake but at my settings the AAA has a 50k hour energy budget (5.7 years.)
    FORTUNATELY I have a calendar reminder to replace the cell at 36 months and I had the "installed" date on the sight.
    I also have the ability to swap put the battery twice (depending on ROI for a lithium replacement versus an alkaline) without re-zeroing the optic.

Again.
    Sample size = 1.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many of today's devices are never really Off, just sleeping. Their sleep currents vary enormously.
    Those Energizer Lithiums don't contain any more mAhs than their alkaline stablemates, but do maintain a significantly higher output voltage over their operating life. I can easily imagine cases where that higher voltage produces a considerably higher current draw (more than would happen with constant-R), greatly reducing battery operating hours. And a few items are simply incompatible with these lithium voltages. Merely inserting the batteries destroyed one device I had. No smoke, it just quit working, permanently.

Without detailed knowledge of the internals, it can be difficult to predict the results.