1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rechargeable battery storage -- any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, May 19, 2022.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the upsurge in battery power for household devices -- lawn equipment, kitchen tools, etc., storage and recharging is becoming a bit of an issue -- wouldn't it be nice if "one battery fit most?" :rolleyes:

So, I know heat is an enemy -- or at least I think I read that somewhere.

At home, the garage actually has plenty of outlets and there is no problem storing/charging batteries in the garage -- except in the summer it can get sort of toasty inside -- 90+ degree F. days and 70-degree nights.

I could put them in the house, but a couple of the chargers have fans and are noisy and -- as wifey says -- they create ugly clutter.

Gee, there are only, well five different B&D batteries and chargers; two Greenworks batts and chargers; one Duracell 1440W power station; one Ego battery and charger; one Bauer battery and charger; for a total of 10 units and I am probably forgetting a device or two.

Am I likely doing much harm leaving them in garage this summer?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk. i keep mine in the barn, which also gets quite toasty. they have survived surprisingly well for a good number of years, but i don't have any scientific evidence.
    if they get too hot or cold, the charger won't charge them.

my concern is keeping the lithium topped up all the time

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I probably wouldn't worry about it. With Li-ion, just store them below fully charged, and charge up before use.

Stevewoods and bisco like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rule I picked up very long ago was that for best longevity, store these with roughly a 40% charge. That rule appears here too:
    BU-702: How to Store Batteries - Battery University

For the Li-Ion rechargeables that can be air shipped, IATA / FAA rules place a maximum of 30% state-of-charge. Though this is for vessel safety, not for product longevity:
    BU-704a: Shipping Lithium-based Batteries by Air - Battery University

Stevewoods and tochatihu like this.
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was originally going to say store discharged, but that could imply having the battery dead. That may not be a good thing with Li-ion. Personally, I just put the batteries away after use. I don't have an easy way for checking the charge level. When needed, I'll charge them up before hand.

Ideally, you want things to last as long as possible, but replacement batteries for the more popular product lines can be quite inexpensive. The case of buying a new tool is cheaper than simply getting a replacement battery are gone.

Stevewoods likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Storage while fully discharged is not a good thing for Li-ion, it will accelerate a damage mechanism. And if the cells have a built-in battery protection circuit (with MOSFETs to disconnect the battery), a significant self-discharge after reaching the undervoltage threshold may make it difficult to wake up that protection circuit to allow recharge.

Stevewoods likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unfortunately, the chargers and battery packs generally don't have an easy way for the user to know what the state of charge is for these power tools.

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is state of charge measured in voltage?

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think there are various ways of measuring it. Most people don't want to pull out the multimeter to check a tool's battery, assuming they have the multimeter.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not reliably. But that is often just what we have.

11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some lithium batteries have percent of charge indicators. Kobalt uses 3 LED's that illuminate when a button is pushed to show pecent of charge.

Though probably not desireable two years ago I left the two Litium batteries on their chargers from November (last mower use) to April (1st mower use) I didn't see any issues. We have had the mower and batteries for almost 5 years and the batteries and chargers stay in our garage at all times which varies in temperature from a high in the 100's in August to sometimes single digits in January/February. Probably not ideal but heck, they are yard tools, they belong in the garage.

Our 2008 Prius hybrid batteries shared the same housing arrangement in the garage and they seemed fine with it - no proiblems in the 12 years we owned it (yes i know they are not lithium)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota recommends not leaving lithium fully charged for long periods of time. but they don't define 'long periods', so i keep mine around 1/3 to 1/2 most of the time, and drain to hybrid mode if going away.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A car traction battery is more likely to have a larger buffer in the state of charge range than ones for power tools.