1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recharging AC with HC12?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by landspeed, Mar 7, 2019.

1. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

i was wondering if anyone has done this? I got my car warranted (roadworthiness test) today; $55 NZ including parts; I noticed the air con is much less powerful than my Leaf and wonder if it has slowly been leaking?

I know it has R134a which is terrible for the environment; assuming it is legal in my territory
    (NZ), has anyone tried HC12; basically purified isobutane? I used this before when I retrofitted aircon to one car and have recharged another car with it; it is a drop-in for R12 except it is much better for the environment than R134a; the main issue is that it is more efficient than R134a so it could be ‘too efficient’ in a dedicated R134 system and cause problems? The brand I used years ago was called ‘greenfreeze’ And I still have plenty; it is flammable but the amount in the system is less than the fuel lines, and it can be installed without a vacuum pump;

I have heard that Prius AC is especially sensitive to contamination; is this definitely the case? If so it of course makes a recharge much more problematic!

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Tread carefully. The prius does depend on a different type of lubrication oil mixed with the refrigerant compared with a traditional automotive air conditioner. And it is completely intolerant of the lubrication (PAG oil) used in those traditional systems. It's so sensitive you can't even use fill valves or gaugesets that have previously been used with PAG oil systems.

It might be okay with a different refrigerant, I don't know enough to tell you. But that new refrigerant would have to be compatible with the ND 11 oil required by the Prius compressor.

Remember: a prius compressor exposes its high voltage motor windings to the refrigerant, so all the materials have to be electrically safe. It's not just a mechanical pump like in other cars.