1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recharging the AC on 03 prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Laurel Reynolds, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Laurel Reynolds

Laurel Reynolds New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Talk me through how to do this? I have done it on many other cars in the past but I've heard 1st gen prius can be different and has to be done just so-so for it to work.
    Not getting any error codes or lack of blowing air it just gradually lost the cool feel. I don't think it's the belt or the clutch but how can I check?
    We are getting 100 degree days now and with almost 3 hours per day commuting to work I am needing my AC back!! ;-)

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recharge the same way you would on any other car. Gen 2 Pri's require special stuff, Gen 1's do not.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prii do use a subcooling condenser (even Gen 1), so the proper charge is not where the bubbles disappear in the sight glass.

Proper charge is when you've added 100 more grams of refrigerant after the bubbles disappeared in the sight glass. (Under the specified surrounding conditions; be sure to check, because like any other A/C, the specifications for proper charge depend on those.)

Gen 1 has the added feature of a magnetic clutch that can wear over time, which later Prius generations don't have. Its adjustment is easy, with about ten minutes of time and a shim kit the dealer sells for a dollar. Well worth checking because pretty much any Gen 1 at this age is going to need it.