1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recharging Traction dead Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Nov 10, 2012.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As related in the Newbie forum, I have obtained a Gen2 that has been sitting long enough that the HV battery is totally dead, less than 1 volt at the main connection terminals. I expect I am going to have to replace it and but will keep the old one for rebuild since I expect this won't be my last (actually my second) Prius. Two of my sons also drive Prius (Gen2 & Gen3).

I already have a deal on a replacement battery, so that problem seem to have been solved.

Here is my question. Don't want to take the car to the dealer and pay a fortune for them to call out the Toyota "bag of tricks" to try and charge this dead battery as a in-car unit.

Is Toyota the only source of a charger that can perform an in-car diagnostic and charge of this battery as a unit, either in or out of the car??

Failing that! And before breaking the battery pack down to modules and cells for reconditioning, isn't there a way to DIY charge this out of car battery unit??

Maybe I'm getting in over my head, but I like to say, I'm here to learn!

Steve

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are two ways of approaching this problem dependent on your level of skill with electrics.

(1) Long winded but best. Charge each module in the battery individually with a Suppermate DC6 charger balancing each module as you go. Expect at leased a month to accomplish with one charger.

(2) The possibly quick but risky method of using your 230v mains supply through a bridge rectifier then charging the battery through a 40watt light bulb. This should give a charging current of no more than 175 ma.

SteveWlf likes this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd rather pay Toyota than the above; or buy a second hand one.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As a retired EE I would have no problems with either method, but I would always advocate working within one's capabilities. To me it would seem a waste to discard a high value item without trying to refurbish or simply charge.

After all if you flatten your 12v battery you would try recharging it before buying new. There is fundamentally no difference between the two.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If the OP doubts his capabilities, he might want to try Re-Involt.

Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs

Unfortunately, we can't tell where he is, because he has not stated and he has not filled out his profile.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It might not be illegal to disable the "sound," but you might be opening yourself up to legal liability, if you should have an accident with a predestrian.

The "sound" essentially, as I recall, is mandated by Federal Regulation. That's probably why a Toyota dealer won't do it.

7. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry! I have now updated my profile. I live in the Pac. NW and the shipping is prohibitive unless there is someone local. I would be more interested in finding a shop that has the capability of testing and charging the HV battery out of the car, since I will have it as a spare.

steve

8. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can think I can handle the full rebuild of the modules and have worked with enough electric or electronics to "learn" from the more experienced in this area. Since this battery is going to be a spare, I can live with the prolonged time frame. The charger and work area are also manageable in my 2500 sq/ft shop. Just another hobby or project on my Bucket List.

However, as stated elsewhere, I should try a recharge first to determine the acutual condition of this battery. Since it was in good service condition before the car was wrecked there may still be a possibility that a recharge may prove it is still serviceable.

Now I should comment on option (2): If you look at my profile, I am 75 yo and can remember automotive battery chargers that were of similar/simple design for that time the rectifiers were selinium plate and the light bulb served as a current limiting resistor. We just had a E core transformer for voltage drop. I think I will try this using a step up transformer so I can use a standard 120 vac outlet.

Jump in and tell me if I have over simplified this approach in my understanding.

Steve

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no problem with using a step up transformer from 120v to 230/240v.

Bridge rectifiers can be bought for pennies at electrical suppliers suggest minimum rating of 2amps at 400v (4amp or above would be better) or 4 diodes in a bridge configuration, again of similar ratings.

The bulb should be rated at around 230v if rated at 120v use two in series. A variac (variable voltage transformer) can be used to advantage but few people will have access to one of these.

Permanently monitor the battery voltage when you hit about 210v you should be good to go. Do not try to charge to quickly, if you can measure the charging current suggest you keep it below 1/4 of an amp 250ma. to reduce current use smaller wattage bulbs.

Take sensible precausions against shock risk use the HV battery safety plug when connecting and disconnecting charging device.

NiMh batteries do not suffer from the same problems as lead acid when fully discharged and left in that state so with luck your battery will be ok.

John (Britprius).

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Once charged it would be sensible to check the voltage of each module to make sure the modules are at at the same voltage "or state of charge".

If you need a circuit diagram let me know and i'll see what I can do.

Just one point to clear up did you check the battery voltage with the safety plug installed and at the terminals where the wires are connected that come from inside the battery case not on the output of the contactors.

John (Britprius).

11. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks John, I think I have such a bridge rectifier in my junk box (from old power supply projects). Who knows, I might have a variac as well from a swap meer or car sale.. Trying to keep this low tec for the first time out.

And, yes I took my voltage reading with the safety plug removed to verify that there was no power. I then measuree the terminals under the white plastic safey covers, nearest to the current sensor after I re-insterted the safety plug and still got less than a volt. It is my understanding that there shouldn't be any voltage at the connector terminals leading to the vehicule Invertor system until the contactors are closed by insterting the key and pressing the start button. That is why I measure on the battery side of the contactors.
    Also, I understand that the removal of the safety plug open the series connecton between the two groups of in the battery pack.

Again, correct me if I've got something wrong here. Here to learn!

And, yes I would welcome a battery module diagram to better understand the series/parallel configuration.

Thanks so much.

Steve

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Steve,

There are 28 modules (all in series) and each module has 6 1.2v NiMh 6.5 Amp-Hour cells (again in series). All in all a very simple layout. The battery ecu monitors the modules in 14.4 volt pairs.

JeffD

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The wiring diagram I meant was for a charger but I think you seem to be ok with that.

Unfortunately I do not have a diagram that shows the HV battery internal wiring. It is purely a series battery of 168 cells arranged as 6 cells to a module (at nominal 7.2 volts, 1.2 volts per cell) and 28 modules totaling 201.6 volts nominal.

The modules are paired in the battery purely for monitoring purposes.

There is no logical reason why the whole battery cannot be balanced as one unit. The theory behind balancing is that over time for various reasons some cells will have less charge than others. Meaning that if they are all charged in series some will reach full charge while others may only be charged to say 70% because they start from a lower base charge.

If you continue to charge the battery after the some cells are fully charged, those cells will not charge any more and will give off the excess charge as heat. While this is happening the cells with a lower state of charge will begin to catch up. A fan to keep things cool when doing this is a good idea.

Fully discharging the battery helps to condition it, so cycling the battery through a few slight over charges and discharging a few times (usually 3 but can be more) brings all the cells into line. Remember the amp/hr capacity of the whole battery is the same as the lowest capacity cell,"weakest link in the chain".

Do not try to charge individual modules unless they are clamped on either side with timber in a vice or with G clamps, and do not charge the battery unless it is in it's chassis and has the clamp rods in place. These modules can blow up like balloons unless clamped.

When you have initially charged your battery you can check module voltages, they should all be the same within .1 volt or better if outside this figure they should be balanced.

In use in the car the battery only ever gets charged to 80% capacity and discharged to 40% this increases the service life of the battery but does little to keep the cells balanced. The total amp/hr capacity of the battery is 6.5 amp/hr.

John (Britprius).

koolingit likes this.
  14. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the clear explaination of the battery configuration and the charging and balancing process.

BTW. I would appreciate a look at the wiring diagram you mention. Like I mentioned I have built power supplies and think I understand what you have already discribed, but doesn't hurt to see how someone else approaches this charger design. I already located my step up transformer and a full wave bridge rectifier. Amazed at what I have saved all these years.
    Steve

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you reinstall the orange traction battery interlock, you must first insert the interlock, then pivot the handle 90 degrees. Finally, slide the handle to lock it in place. The last step is frequently overlooked.

I suggest you try that. If you still measure less than one volt I would think it is likely that your battery has at least one failed module out of the 28. When you open the battery case then you can measure voltages across each of the 28 modules.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you Patrick for your advice. I was not happy that such a low reading was given the reason for my comments in post "10". This is for a gen2 battery that has 28 modules.

I agree that if the interlock is not properly in place the reading would be zero but the chance of having a module completely open circuit "that is several 10s of megohms" so that no voltage is registered off load is highly unlikely. Even a badly corroded buss bar would give a reading.

I think the sensible option is as you imply to measure all of the modules to see if there are any with charge rather than trying to check the complete battery. I will ask the OP to do this before going further.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Steve, you have probably read the above post and would ask that you remove the cover (after removing the safety link) and check the voltage of each individual module and report them back to us.

The reasons for my questions in my post "10" was that it would be unusual for such a large pack of cells (168) to have as low a reading as you are getting. So just trying to dot all the I's and cross all the T's before progressing.

I am in the process of drawing up the charger circuit.

John (Britprius)

18. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reminder on slideing the handle to lock in place. I know I did this in testing my vehicle and will do the same while testing the battery of the wreck I will be getting a replacement from.
    However, something that came to mind, over nite. The fuse in the safety interlock device has a fuse inside. It that is blown, I would not get any voltage readings even if I installed the interlock correctly. I will check that in my car this morning and if it is OK, I will take my own interlock to use while checking the wreck. ie., check the fuse by measuring continuity across the interlock contacts in the face of the plug.

Without a good interlock plug there is another way to measure the battery voltage. With the plug removed, measure for voltage between the interlock receptical, from each connector to the corresponding connector on the contactor, either neg. or pos. depending on which half of the battery pack you will be measuring. What voltage I get would be half normal of course. Then measure the other interlock contact to the other contactor terminal, presenting the other half for the total battery voltage.

If this sound confusing, I should have mentioned that the interlock connects between the two halves of the battery pack assembly. One contact is the Pos of one half and the other is Neg. the other in this series connection. The oppisite end of each half of this series leads to the Pos. or Neg. contactors.

Anyway, that is how I read the block diagram on my 2001 electrical manual. FWIW.

Steve

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is true that the fuse needs to be checked.

Note that the interlock is not connected between the two halves of the 2G traction battery. I don't recall exactly where it is wired, but you will find that one section has more modules and therefore voltage, than the other.

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe the link is one module pair off center in the battery giving voltages of 115.2 and 86.4 volts nominal. It would still be help full if you could measure the individual module voltages if you have the battery out of the car.