1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommend a window tinter in San Jose, CA?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by creativeguy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for all the info on this board. I placed an order for a Silver V with ATP over the weekend, so it won't be long now.

Thinking about tinting the windows a bit for more privacy in the back. Can anyone recommend a good tinter in the San Jose, CA area? I'll pay whatever it takes to get the BEST. I've never tinted windows before, but have seen too many bad jobs with bubbled, cloudy, purple tints.

Is it possible to get a tint done that will last the life of the car and look as good as tinted glass from the factory?

Also, how easy is it to scratch the tinting on the window? If someone hit it with a ring, would it scratch? How durable is aftermarket tinting?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Keep in mind factory tinting is tinted in the glass itself, it is not a film. Even if you had tinting done at a Toyota dealership or at port it would be film.

The film can be scratched, even nicked. It just depends how hard the object is hitting it and how hard it actually does hit it. I had a car when i was stationed in California with tint, and a passenger let the seat belt buckle (the metal part) hit the window and it put a small nick in the film.

Also remember not to clean the tint with ammonia based cleaners.