1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommend= an Inexpensive obd2 scanner to use with dr prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Aug 22, 2020.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can get by without Dr. Prius app if your car is working fine... But if your dash lights up with warning lights and car goes into limp mode you can read and clear error codes AND sub-codes and get the car back to normal for a little while longer in order to get home.

Without spending a little more on an OBD2 reader that works with Dr. Prius, you'll likely be spending alot more on a tow truck someday.

2. HeyMikeyLikesIt

HeyMikeyLikesIt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! I'm going to check out the Hybrid Assistant app on my android. I used Car Scanner and Dr. Prius on iOS. The scan wasn't as informative for me as I had hoped but I just made a post with my issue details... fingers crossed someone might be able to help.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to see HA in action check out the driving videos by @john1701a at his website, John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more.

But really, if you want the best diagnostic tool, get a mini vci and techstream from one of the vendors on Ebay or Amazon. You'll need a Windows laptop for it. What it gives you is an older cracked version of the diagnostic software the shop uses. Lots of threads about it here on PC. The iOS and Android apps do a lot, but Techstream does everything.

HeyMikeyLikesIt likes this.
  4. caliwaves

caliwaves Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I paired the VeePeak with Dr Prius and iphone/ipad and it works great.

5. caliwaves

caliwaves Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also bought an old thinkpad for $100 off ebay so i can tinker around with techstream!

PriFi likes this.
  6. HeyMikeyLikesIt

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh I see! I didn't realize that using a mini vci and techstream would give me all details and options. Is there any reason to keep a OBD2 WIFI/Bluetooth adapter to use with an app - do the apps organize the information so it's more understandable or provide any unique features? I was going to use Dr. Prius to confirm the state of my battery or run some tests and I'm wondering now if I should just return the adapter and buy the mini vci cable and get the software... that might help me clear the current error of "Check Hybrid System" - I tried all the physical steps to clear the code but it wouldn't go away - I accidently cleared the engine codes using the app but that didn't take away the message and indicators in the car either.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just convenience. For simple things, it's handy to just pop in the wifi or bluetooth adapter and open an app on your phone compared to firing up a laptop, waiting for Windows to boot, connecting the cable to the car and to the laptop, opening Techstream, and so on.

Also, the phone apps will let you set up "dashboards" to monitor various conditions as you drive, which can be educational, entertaining, and sometimes help with a diagnosis.

HeyMikeyLikesIt likes this.
  8. drone13

drone13 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like having both. I have only had this 07 Prius about 5 weeks now and I like being able to monitor some data while I drive with phone and tablet apps. But I got the miniVXI and Techtream to do more deep dive research on any issues and be able to test components in realtime. I have the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE that I use on both my Iphone and a Lenovo Android tablet (it's been working great with both it's cheap at $30 and was a top pick by Dr Prius), so I have both worlds available to me. I installed Torque, Dr Prius, and Hybrid assistant on the Android; Dr Prius and OBD Fusion on the iPhone. I probably use the Dr Prius app most while driving, not all the time, but unusual situations like going up a steep incline for 11 miles to watch battery charge and temps and see things like the difference in real driving before and after cleaning the HV blower fan. It's really given me some faith in my 07 with 124,000 miles that I won't be stranded on the side of the road. This is my first Prius, so I don't fully trust them yet with all the hybrid assbaggery goin' on all the time. But I'm getting more comfortable all the time and dare I say it, starting to really like it.

But if you have issues or specific tests you want to run, get Techstream and a mini VXI adapter, price is great from Ebay or Amazon if you have a spare laptop lying around and even a cheap WinXP laptop from Ebay would do fine. Teachstream is a serious tool that an app can't begin to equal, but it is not convenient to monitor while driving.

If you want to know what I think of the above apps let me know and I'll give my 2 cents.

jerrymildred and HeyMikeyLikesIt like this.
  9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd recommend both... Dr. Prius will allow you to quickly check and clear an error code so you can try to keep driving you car and not get stranded. So for this reason alone having an OBD2 adapter in your glove box is wise. And then if you want to do all your own work on your car or perform high level diagnostics, add new key FOBS, wtc. Toyota Techstream on an old laptop in your garage next to your toolbox is the way to go.

jerrymildred and HeyMikeyLikesIt like this.
  10. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Lots of discussion and file repositories in one thread for Techstream

Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such) | Page 49 | Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Also some tips for install on 64bit Win 7/8/10

(Solution) Mini VCI + Toyota TIS Techstream 8.x on Windows 7/8 64-bit. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. HeyMikeyLikesIt

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey PriusCamper, I'm having a tough time diagnosing my issue, would you mind please checking out my post (sorry for asking!) it's titled : Check Hybrid System P0A94 and P324E w/ ABS C1259 and C1310 (doesn't reset)

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do realise you have latched on to a Gen 2 thread, and while some codes might be the same, they don't necessarily mean the same across generations. We know a lot about the Gen 2, not so much about the Gen 3 or 4.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Myself and others ordinarily stay out of the Gen3 forum, but when you have a car problem and you post and you don't get any comments...

You do understand that's his intent, right? He's asking for help... So I went over to his thread and did my best, maybe you could too?

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you could help out, and I most certainly would help out if I had anything to offer.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes I help even when I don't have anything to offer. It makes me annoying! :)

16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like the people who respond to product questions on Amazon with, "I don't know?" :ROFLMAO:

tashaviaf and PriusCamper like this.
  17. grahamjp

grahamjp New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the description of Dr Prius on the Priusapp site and the Google Play store, I can't see that it would display many error codes. Most importantly, can it reset error codes?

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like; screen/grab of my install, in demo mode:

Attached Files:

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would argue that resetting codes is not usually what's most important. :)