1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendation on Gen 2 CV axles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by p200, Sep 18, 2022.

1. p200

p200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Would anyone have some advice on selecting an OEM CV axle for my Gen 2 with 238k miles? Looking at Rock Auto I see several different companies. I noticed that only the Cardone new (665266 {4342047020, 66-5266}), Cardone Remanufactured (605266 {4342047020, 60-5266}), and APWi ( TO8349A) axles have the notch on the inboard side for prying the axle out. Seems like a good feature, if I ever have to replace these again.

I'm planning on keeping the Prius for another few years, but probably not enough to want to spend the $700 for a pair of OEM axles.

Has anyone had a good or bad experience with one of these choices or another recommendation? Am I right to select aftermarket for up to 3 more years and perhaps another 50k miles? tia.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There are places in most towns are close to most cities that rebuild drive axles you take them your two shafts with the CV joints on them and they hand you back your shafts with new joints and boots and you know it's like $89 an axle something like that it used to be I haven't priced it in a while but generally that's how I've had a few cars done I usually just carry in the axles bring them back while I have them off the car I do the wheel bearings and the struts and the lower ball joint possibly if it's warranted most of these cars I keep so while I have the car this far apart those other parts are a cakewalk to go ahead and do maybe give it a whirl.

3. p200

p200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm going to replace most of the suspension while I have the axles out. Struts, control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings. stabilizer bushings and links. The car handles ok, but I'm hoping it would get a little more quiet. I was hoping to get some insight on which parts should be OEM and which aftermarket parts have been good for folks. Hopefully the axles are still good enough to replace the boots, I'll have to figure that out when I can get them off the car.