1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for a Cheap Reliable Pre-Owned Car?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by PriusRos, Sep 18, 2007.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Oct 13 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]525215[/snapback]</div>
    It is very unlikely. I've had a few instrument clusters out of cars in the last few year and played around with them. If it is the old analog style with the dials you can't just turn the input shaft backward because it is only geared to engage one way. (This is so the odometer doesn't go backwards when you drive in reverse). So to "roll back" the odometer you would need to disassemble the dash to get out the instrument cluster and then disassemble the instrument cluster to get to the odometer to roll it back. However, instrument clusters are not made to be disassembled, most are but together with one time use clips and plastic welds.

The most likely scenario would be that someone would replace the entire instrument cluster with one of the same make and model with lower mileage. However, some cars do not allow you to do this. VW's TDI's for example will not run without the original instrument cluster. (This really complicates engine swaps.)

The most likely scenario is that CarFax made a data entry error. This happened to me with my 1961 Buick title. The DMV sent me a title that read 710,000 miles instead of 71,000 miles because someone typed too many zeros.

I wouldn't worry about it.

2. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Oct 13 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]525241[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I'm hoping that it's just a data entry error as you said. I would hope that the instrument cluster being replaced would be a very difficult and unlikely event.

BTW, were you able to get the error corrected in Carfax?

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its far more likely that its a CARFAX error than the odo being rolled back. If you've seen those reciepts and they're for the same car VINwise, that would seal it as a carfax error to me.

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Oct 13 2007, 05:24 PM) [snapback]525251[/snapback]</div>
    Since it was a 1961 Buick, I doubt Carfax even has a record of it. No, I never got the error corrected. I tried for a year with the DMW but just ended up going round and round in circles of incompetence. I ended up parting the car 2 years later anyway, so it really didn't matter. (I got more for the windshield than I was offered for the entire car!)

5. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Oct 16 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]526441[/snapback]</div>
    I just realized I misread your original post. I see now the error was with DMV, not with Carfax.

Thanks for the reassurance.