1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for a new Prius dude

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scottyx, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    G'day there, Scott here from Australia, how's it going?

I just bought a 2006 Prius a couple of days ago and don't know much about them. I'd never even been in one before.

I have flicked through a couple of posts and read things that may be useful like the doctor Prius thing to put on your phone, maybe a code reader software could be needed one day.

I rang Toyota to price a HV battery before I bought the car and I was happy with the price. It's just under $2000 if I trade my old battery in.

But as I know nothing about these cars is there a guide or a video explaining how I should be driving the car and what I should expect from the car. Maybe things like does the HV battery like "this" better than "that"

Thanks for your time reading and thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Cheers
    Scott

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome!

I don’t have a link, but there are lots of YouTube vids on hypermiling and ‘pulse and glide’ techniques

you can’t drive in any way to harm or help the battery, but make sure the cooling fan is clean, and the intake grille unobstructed.

it is a good idea to park in the shade when you can, and get the windows tinted. the battery doesn’t like soaking in the heat

all the best!

SFO likes this.
  3. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Thanks for the welcome mate.

I didn't know about the cooling fan and grille so I will check it out.

I think I have seen a solar powered extraction fan one time that hangs off the window of a parked car and can keep the cabin cooler than if all the windows were up while parked. Might be worth looking into along with tinting the windows

I also used my phone to get on to this website and found a newbie section that I can't find on my desk top computer so a bit more searching and reading on my phone will be a good idea.

bisco likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @john1701a is a long time member here and he has a boatload of videos on his website that cover all the generations of the Prius. John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more

Dig into the "Prius info" section in the left column and you'll be busy for weeks! :D

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is that price in US or Australian dollars? Good price even in US dollars btw.

6. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Aussie dollars mate.

He said he could't give me an exact price until I told him the chassis number, but he gave me worst case. He also said he may be able to do slightly better once the time comes as he wasn't trying too hard on the price.

7. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Great, thankyou Jerry

I've just had a quick 10min look around that website and will keep going back to check things out and learn a bit each time.

I've only had the car for 4 days but find my self wanting to drive this one rather than the Prado which uses heaps more fuel

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh, that sounds like it is too good to be true.

Is that for a genuine brand new Toyota OEM HV battery, or does the guy moonlight on the side doing reconditioned batteries?

9. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    I rang the local Toyota dealer that I buy spares for my Prado from. The spare parts dude told me that the batteries had just come down in price a couple of months ago.

I spoke to the bloke who I bought the car from today and he said when the time comes to buy a HV battery to ask Toyota what their warranty is. He seems to think they only give 1 year warranty which may indicate that it is a rebuilt battery. I have my doubts about it being a rebuilt battery, but I guess I don't know for sure.

Regarding the final price the spare parts bloke remembers me form when I had to buy a couple of batteries for my Prado and got them to drop the price from $250 each to $170 each. So he knows I will check to see the best price he is able to do on the HV battery one day.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably new. toyota only gives one year here, unless the dealer installs, then it is 3 years

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True in the USA, but not necessarily the case in other jurisdictions.
    The length of the warranty is not a good indicator of whether the battery is new or reconditioned. It will pay to ask and be sure. One year or three years is pretty moot. Statistically, If an electronic part works for a year, it will go its intended life span.