1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended 160k service items?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Prodarwin, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of service is recommended around the 160k mark, assuming you have no service history on the car? I'm planning on:

-Oil + filter
    -Inspect Air filter
    -Inspect brakes
    -Engine Coolant
    -Inverter Coolant
    -Transmission Fluid
    -Cabin air filter

Anything I'm missing?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good, how high does the maint. manual go?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Serpentine belt?
    Work some anti-seize lube in around the HCAC valve shaft (front exhaust pipe, ahead of the catalytic converter)?
    Spark plugs (correct product #s in manual)?

Alignment check?
    Tire rotation?

-Chap

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I would add :
    • Check bake pads/shoes wear
    • Lube the disk brake slide pins
    • replace PCV valve
    JeffD

5. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On that note, when does the water pump or timing belt get done (does it have a water pump on the engine side or a timing belt)? I have searched for this info and I think I found out it does have a water pump. Sorry for the ignorance, but I am a DIYer (I love to learn) and all I have is the glove compartment manual and have not owned it very long.
    TomK

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Toyota uses Timing chains, not belts in these engines. They make a lot of noise before they fail. The engine water pumps do fail (as do all of them) so a replacement at an appropriate coolant change is a good idea (at 100k or 150k mile intervals).

JeffD

7. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Jeff! I will now look for a thread where someone did the water pump change for some tips as I am at 153,000 miles and no known history. Should one wait until the pump starts leaking (that is usually what I do) or just change the thing out when changing the coolant?
    TomK

8. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HCAC valve shaft? What is this? Any more info on this and what anti-seize would be required?
    I can add spark plugs to the list. Are they platinum in these cars with a long service life?
    I'll add serpentine belt as well, good call.

Alignment check has been done, tire rotation is done regularly.

PCV known for sticking in these cars? That (along with water pump) is usually an item I replace when it fails.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plugs should have been changed at 120k. if not, use the oem, they are the best and cheap money.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you put your car on jackstands and slide behind the front wheels to look at the exhaust pipe, just in front of the catalytic converter you'll see a roughly tuna-can-sized vacuum actuator that swings a notorious little valve that's built into the exhaust pipe right at the front of the converter. It is the key to a clever arrangement that stores some of the substances in your exhaust right after engine starting before the converter is hot enough to react them, and then sucks them back through once it is.

As you can guess, any rotating valve shaft that runs right through a $%#* exhaust pipe is prone to corrosion and sticking. What makes it notorious is that the entire front pipe, HCAC valve, and catalytic converter are sold as a single assembly, for a price nobody wants to pay just because a valve got stuck. That's why it's worthwhile to slide under there and get some anti-seize around that shaft where it passes through the pipe, and work the valve back and forth a bunch so it moves smoothly. I think I did it once when I got the car six years ago, and once again a few years later, and checked to make sure it still moved easily.

The front pipe/valve/cat converter assembly is expensive but very well made - the pipe is all stainless and the whole thing seems to be pretty much a lifetime part if treated well and the valve isn't allowed to get stuck. I'm at 13 years and 218000 miles and it still seems solid, and I can put the front and back O2 sensors on a 2-channel scope and watch the converter doing exactly what it's supposed to....

Well, the stuff I use is silver-colored, out of a pint-sized jug from Permatex that I bought a couple decades ago and it says "ANTI-SEIZE". :)

Not on your life. Iridium, baby.

I changed mine last year just because it didn't cost much and I was going to be messing around that end of the valve cover anyway. The old one I took out didn't show any sign of a problem.

-Chap