1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended Maintenance for 2016 with 160k?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Animal Mother, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All,

I recently bought a 2016 Prius 3 with 160k miles on it. It’s a one owner car with all the maintenance being performed by the dealership at the recommended intervals. My intention is to continue the maintenance schedule, although I will probably have a local independent shop that I trust take over the maintenance and may do some of it myself as I did a lot of my own work on my previous car (a 2002 Honda CR-V). I’ve put about 1500 miles on it and it’s been running like a dream. My question is if there is anything that I should proactively replace or be especially mindful of that isn’t in the maintenance schedule? I’ve read a bit about the heat exchanger on this forum and will keep that in mind if I start to lose coolant but aside from that is there anything to be especially mindful of on these gen fours?

Thanks,
    AM

0EAB0877-A8A0-4C3C-ADFE-7CAB3CC62978.jpeg

2. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm at 260k miles on my 2017 and they are following the recommended maintenance every 10k miles. I've already had my catalytic converter replaced to address the coolant issue - for me it happened 5 years into ownership and approx 190k miles.

The only non-regular thing done after 160k miles on mine was to replace both the front and rear brake pads. They were original at the time, so you may be looking at that maintenance at some point.

amos likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a spreadsheet summary of 4th gen, but so far only terminated it at 120K miles and 12 years, per the Toyota document. I'll attached that for now (it is relatively easy to extrapoloate), but will try to get back to it, extend (say to 240K miles), and repost. Can you open a Excel spreadsheet?

MUCH easier to see at a glance what's to be done and when, compared to Toyota USA's event-by-event spoonfeeding approach, btw.

Attached Files:

amos likes this.
  4. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    If water pump hasn’t been replaced yet, it may be getting to that point to change out including thermostat. Up to you if you want to wait until it does go bad to replace. Coolant is another thing to consider, but it should get changed with water pump if it happens Transmission fluid is another thing to consider, although you’ll have various opinions about if it goes out too far without changing. You can check your hybrid battery vent cover yourself since it’s an easy twist with with a small screw driver at the feet of the back seat. EGRs were known to get extremely dirty and cause various symptoms of engine issues in gen 3, but supposedly it’s improve in gen 4, so they claimed. Good to watch out.