1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended Maintenance for a Used Prius v?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by suomynona, Mar 24, 2020.

1. suomynona

suomynona New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to hear what you're doing to remedy the oil burning issues. When did you start noticing the oil burning issue? Is it constant or getting worse over time?

2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll do a full write-up when I'm complete, at that point I'll have hard numbers to compare.
    It's an oil additive you put in with a fresh oil change, and drive it for 4K miles. I'm apprehensive about giving the name because I don't have all the data to say whether it's effective... and I don't want someone to come across this post from a Google search and mistake it for an endorsement or a condemnation.

I bought the car used at 93K miles. Unbeknownst to me, it was consuming oil at a rate of about 1.5 quart/1000 miles. The consumption has not increased or decreased in the last 78K miles -- and I've recorded every once of oil that's been added. It consumes significantly less when not driven at highway speeds = 75 - 80mph.

With the aforementiond experiment, I've introduced two new variables: 1) the oil additive 2) reduced highway speeds.
    I would have preferred to introduce just one variable at a time, but reducing speed was necessary because at the higher highway speeds, the oil and additive were being consumed at such a rate that it was impractical. 1700 miles into this oil change, I've seen a reduction in oil consumption. The question is, what's responsible for the reduction? 1) the oil additive 2) the reduced highway speed

I won't know until after the next oil change, when higher highway speeds are resumed.

Stay tuned!

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or 2 oil changes in case the additive gets washed out of the system.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't follow?

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I believe the concern is residence time and if it remains or is carried out by the drop in oil level and not replenished;).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse, but I still don't follow. The additive's job is to help "dissolve" build-up. Once it's removed and no longer in high concentration, it will cease to work, won't it?

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or is the additive making the oil thicker so it does not go down as fast?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think @Raytheeagle saying:

You've put in the additive. Now say 1000~2000 miles down the road, your oil level's dropped so much you need to top up, diluting the additive. So do an early oil change, with another fresh dose of the additive. You want to keep the concentration of additive in there for a given number of miles.

Another thought: when you top up the oil, make the top up 90% oil and 10% additive (percent as example, whatever is needed to maintain the recommended proportion).

#28 Mendel Leisk, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Raytheeagle and Tim Jones like this.
  9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Haven't had internal engine problems. Got car from neighbor with 194,000.
    I don't hate Toyotas...have 3 but the 2013 Prius has had way more problems than my Camry (315,000) and Previa (430,000) both of those only a few hundred in repairs I did myself.
    2013 was all highway miles from Houston to Orlando as previous owner had a business in both citys.
    It's the hybrid stuff that goes out and is very expensive especially if you can't do it yourself.
    I bought the car thinking it would be like my other toyotas.

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, it's not an STP-type treatment that thickens oil. It's designed to dissolve build-up inside the engine.

11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OK. I see what you're getting at. Yes, I've already accounted for that. At this point, I'm only down 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart. I'll let it get down to a little over a quart low before I add additional oil. If that time comes, I do intend to mix some additional additive in with the oil to maintain the proper concentration.

One strategy I've taken to increase "exposure" to the additive is to allow the car to idle in the driveway. Yesteday I let it idle all afternoon while I worked in the yard. The ICE only comes on a few times an hour for about 5 minutes. I figure this is allowing otpimum exposure to the treatment, while mimizing oil consumption.