1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended/preferred cabin air filter brand?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by herqulees, Feb 10, 2018.

1. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As the Toyota dealership finishes up my cars oil change and maintenance they're telling me it's time for a new cabin air filter. As that's not covered under the lifetime maintenance I told them not to replace it (because I'm sure there's a better filter than the $49 Toyota one). So I was surprised I couldn't really find any info online on aftermarket air filters. Sure I can find plenty of them but I was wondering about peoples experience with them.
    Is there a brand you guys prefer to use? My fiance has bad allergies so I'm looking for the best filtration, odor removal would be a close second.

kamrul likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most people like cheap filters because they're cheap. i prefer the oem because it fits perfectly, and is clearly marked with air flow direction. they can be had for $25. or so if you search on line.
    i also prefer the charcoal which filters out odors a bit, but they cost a bit more as well.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pull it out and have a look at it. Maybe you can tap it off, vacuum a bit and reinstall.

(This could be my west coast perspective showing: maybe Tenessee's a lot dustier. For sure check it's condition for yourself first, though.)

4. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Been wondering about the myself for quite some time. Would also love to know what others use

Mi A1 ?

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like you need to look for another fiance instead, just kidding. Google should have directed you to ebay instead, Toyota OEMs can be had for $19.99 each. I have auto 1 tech, 3 pack for $18. Dimension and # of pleats are the same its sturdyness as OEM. Solar panel vents are always enable in mine so they are changed every 2 months due to dusty environment.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bosch HEPA, Mann-Hummel Frecious Plus, or FRAM Fresh Breeze.

#6 jzchen, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    herqulees likes this.
  7. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone have experience with WIX? I just remembered that is a highly recommended brand for engine air filters on my Jeep and pretty much any heavy duty vehicle including tractor trailers. It was the only brand we bought when servicing tractor trailers at a shop I used to work at.
    They have two models for the Prius, 24483 (standard) and 24511 (charcoal).

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I didn't consider WIX, because of HEPA, polyphenol, and baking soda, respectively. (Haven't bought a Bosch yet, just recently learned about it)...

9. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Carbon works nice too. I am using the fresh breeze in both our prii.

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 8.18.35 PM.png

m3pare likes this.
  10. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also drive with someone with bad allergies and asthma so I wanted the best quality cabin filter that I could find. I went with a K&N cabin filter, you can buy it for ~$40 here. There's also an optional cleaning kit for more money. The filter is lifetime, so it never needs to be replaced. You just wash it every year or so, depending on condition and miles.

The K&N is more solid and heavier than the OEM. If you purchase a higher quality and more expensive home air filter, it will be more solid and will filter out more stuff from the air. IMO, the concept is similar with a car's cabin air filter.

11. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I stay away from K&N, mainly since they're the poorest filtering engine air filter company still on market. I shake my head every time I see a lifted pickup with a K&N sticker on the window.
    My other reason... I'd rather pull the filter out, put a new one in, and be done. Not saying it's difficult to wash a simple filter, just that with how cheap they are I'd rather swap it and be done (without having drying time)
    So they might have a very good cabin air filter, I'm just not a fan of the brand.

12. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen a couple recommendations now for the Fram Fresh Breeze so I'm going to order one off Amazon and give it a try. No matter the brand these filters are cheap so if it in the unlikely circumstance Fram doesn't do a good job (I doubt I'd notice but if my fiancee has a sneezing fit on her drive to work I'll be first to be informed) I'll order a different one, probably that Bosch HEPA, and update everyone.
    Slightly OT, is this filter always in use or is it only in use when you press the filtration button on the climate control?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would think air is going through it anytime air is being actively moved into the cabin.

I really categorize these with drier sheets, pillow shams and so on. Once the weather warms, we just shut the vent system right off, roll the windows down as needed.

14. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As far as the engine air filter, you and I are in agreement.

However, with the cabin air filter, you can easily do a side by side comparison at a Pep Boys. The employee will let you compare the two and you can feel the difference in weight and judge if it's worth the extra money.

15. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Toyota -YZZ20 filters are relatively inexpensive and decent. But I prefer the charcoal ones from NPN for the same price.