1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended rotors for 2011 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gnarly, Nov 27, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at 240 bucks an hour, i'd go to a dealer

2. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are plenty of good videos on YouTube showing you how to do a brake job yourself. If you got a driveway or garage. If not then I understand why you would want to shop to do it. There are lots of good sources for parts, I tend to like to purchase rotors from a local auto parts place because they often come with a 3-year warranty, although nowadays instead of just replacing them they often want to turn them first. Brake pads do however come with a lifetime warranty. So if you do the job yourself it'll be the last time you ever have to pay for brake pads just make sure you get a good ceramic pad in the first place. I've also had good luck buying from a company called r1 concepts on a different vehicle. They have a couple different variations of rotor material a lower spec and a higher spec. even the higher quality material is significantly cheaper than the dealer. You can find local auto parts places will sell a rotor for 50 bucks or less the dealer is 105 for fronts. I realize this is a 3rd gen and has 4-wheel disc brakes I have a second gen that has drums in the back. Definitely do not buy a set of drums from a local auto parts place without double-checking it. I did this and found at the center hub hole was too large. And it must be exactly the same or the drum will not Center on the hub correctly and you will end up with a pulsation coming from the rear. I made this mistake and it took me a while to figure out what was causing the pulsation. On the rear drums the studs and lug nuts do not Center the drum. And there's no way to keep the drum centered while you're putting the tire back on if the center hub hole is machined incorrectly. And mine was on both of them that I purchased.
    I might suggest watching the YouTube channel called South main Auto, and searching for a brake job video the guy is extremely thorough. There are some unique aspects of doing a job on a Prius because of the electronically controlled braking system. You do not want that to activate while you are doing the brakes or you can damage the calipers. You can avoid this by disconnecting the 12-volt battery or ensuring that the smart key is far away from the car and that no one opens a door while you're doing the brake job.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Bay Stater and Robert Holt like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's something puzzling about that. Some sort of sales-pitch, to keep you coming back? Or basically they're just gambling that you'll forget, sell the vehicle, whatever.

Bay Stater likes this.
  4. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure.. kinda surprised. The rotors used to also be just replace... For the 2 years. Now it's supposed to be only for defects, not warps or worn out. Though they will sometimes exchange them anyways. But they want to turn them first usually.
    Not that most people would go thru rotors in 2 years anyways.
    But the pads are lifetime warranty. When they wear thin.. they will replace them for free.
    O'Reilly Auto Parts and AutoZone both do this I believe.

I drive 800-1,000 miles a week, and use the brakes more than many..
    Regen is nice and I use it as much as possible... but I'm often in a hurry, and speeds on secondary roads are high where I live.. so it's often 65-70. Down to 35mph pretty fast exiting to the surface roads.

Texas has some unique highway exits and on ramps.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What do you mean by that? Light vs heavy on the brake pedal? Or shifting to B? The latter actually reduces regen I believe.

Just curious.