1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconditioning Experience with Hybrid Automotive's Prolong System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by biglew8, May 16, 2017.

1. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My worry was not the battery, but the inside of the car having to deal with 2X200W lamps, or the hot air coming out of the IntelDischarger, but you make a valid point, and I always make sure the internal battery fan is running, in fact the last time (a week ago) I did a recondition (short) I noticed that the internal fan started off slow, but as I listened I could hear the speed being increased in stages, but it was so quiet that I had to put my ear close to the body of the car in order to hear it. (…just sayin' :rolleyes:)

VFerdman likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I seem to remember using ACC mode to open or close windows once or twice the first time I used my Prolong. I got away with it and it seems, theoretically, like it should be safe, but I don't know enough about it to say, "Go ahead and do it."

VFerdman, WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I came back from a falliage outing with the family (took the gas guzzling Volvo wagon) around 6pm and the voltage was still at 239V. So I disconnected the charger, rolled up the windows (no warnings appeared in ACC mode during window rolling) and started the second discharge cycle. This one is going down to 84V. So far all is well.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are tempting fate messing with the windows up and down.

70 ºF is not that hot. If you are not able to roll the windows down and leave them down for the entire process, then just be happy with opening and closing the hatch. There will be plenty enough air movement with only the hatch open. Try not to over think it.

I, personally, would not switch the car on at all for the entire reconditioning process.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Post #380 with the same caution;).

Good to keep raising awareness (y).

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A bit too subtle. ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may be right, but this time I disconnected the charger and rolled windows up (in ACC mode, not READY) before starting the discharge cycle. I could have easily just stopped the process and started driving without going against any cautions from HA.

Also, on a 75 degree day with windows closed and in direct sun the interior of the car can easily reach 100 degrees. That is my concern. I don't think there is any harm in what I did the second time I rolled the windows up. First time I did it the HV battery was well below 200V and that caused some codes. The engine will never start in ACC and I don't think other HV battery functions can kick in. I do hear you with the faith tempting, but I also think it's also tempting fate by performing this procedure in hot environment.

mjoo likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With hatch open? I think not.
    Even so, to switch off you have to pass through IG-ON. Who knows what is active in either of those modes. I hope you have a 12 V charger on the 12 V battery, because those window motors really suck on the 12 V.

Like I said, I wouldn't do it, but it is your car.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be a real drag to kill the 12 Volt battery by rolling the windows up and down while reconditioning the HV battery.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's my opinion. If the computer, display, windows all run briefly on the 12v battery I don't see the harm. If memory serves, the HV system isn't active unless the AC is on, the car is moving, the engine is running or to top off the auxiliary battery. As long as all those stay off it should be fine

I'd be more concerned with the auxiliary battery.

Pixel XL ?

VFerdman likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Didn't the Beatles have a song:

"Let it Be";).

Some wisdom in those words(y).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The hatch does not produce air flow that much. That battery fan air ingress is right at the right rear window which makes for a very warm air going in there when there is glass in front of it. I may be paranoid, but I put my hand over the ingress grill and felt very warm to touch air (that would mean close to 100 degrees) even with the hatch open.

I do have a 12V battery charger on and it's indicating full charge achieved. I know window motors are power hungry.

Prodigyplace and mjoo like this.
  13. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I am pretty sure AC will not run in ACC mode. I am not REDYing the car, I am pressing the power button twice without brake pedal. ACC mode will not turn on the gas engine to top off the 12V battery either. The car needs to be in READY mode for that. I am pretty sure I am safe in ACC for a few seconds.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is IG-ON. ACC mode is press the power button once, with foot OFF the brake. In IG-ON the MFD, on the Energy monitor screen, shows HV battery SoC. My concern is that with the car in even IG-ON mode electronics are powered up. You are correct that the HV battery is not connected in either ACC or IG-ON.

You are "Johnny on the spot" and it is your car, therefore your call.

#394 dolj, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    VFerdman likes this.
  15. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I got my terms mixed up. The windows won't operate in ACC mode (power button once with no brake), so I had to go to IG-ON. Thanks for the correction.

My engineering gut tells me it's ok, but I've been wrong before...

dolj likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can leave the hatch open, that's the preferred way. Just make sure the dome lights and cargo light are all switched off. The hatch will let in hundreds of times more air than what the battery fan can move. And it won't hurt to put a trickle charger on the 12V just in case.

I'd be very careful. What I did once, and what you've been doing, unless we know for sure it's OK, it's kind of like crossing the street without looking. You might get away with it several times, before a bus turns you to jelly.

Prodigyplace, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So the second discharge was complete at midnight yesterday. At 11pm it was at 113V, so I left it alone for an hour and at midnight I came back to an alarm going off and the voltage bounced back to 173V already. I put on the charger and it is now at 231V and slowly rising at 11 am today. This is taking way longer than I expected. I started on Friday night and still have one more discharge cycle to do. My charge is not done settling yet and I am supposed to leave it for 4-6 hours once it does. Wow! This is going to take another day at least.

SFO, WilDavis and mjoo like this.
  18. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …and don't forget, after the last (3rd) discharge (to 17V) there will be a final charge, and I've found that one is usually the longest - I think the last time I did the full recondition it was around 16 hours, and I seem to remember that I wish I'd left it even longer.

This is from my log:

"Chrg1 + balance at 238 V - 16 hours
    Dschrg to 134 V - 5½ hours (hit it on the nail!)
    Chrg2 to 235 V - 17 hours
    Dschrg to 87 V - 6 hours ("dead-cat-bounce" had taken the V back up to 192V when I checked!)
    Chrg3 to 238 V - 18 hours
    Dschrg to 17 V - 5½ hours (hit it on the nail!)
    Chrg4 to 236 V - 16 hours
    Total elapsed time - 84 hours (3½ days)

I need to use the car later this morning, but I think next time, I might extend the soaker charges just a little bit!"

- hope this helps - Wil

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It takes three full days so I would do it on holiday weekends when I had the time (July 4th and New Years). Using the bulb method, I would discharge from approx. 8am-12pm and charge from 12pm-8am. Rinse, lather, repeat. If pressed for time, Prolong does recommend skipping the final deep discharge round to make it a two day affair. I also used this downtime to trickle charge the 12v with my motorcycle battery tender.

Agree with others that you're overthinking this. Unless you have security or weather issues, just leave the windows down slightly or hatch open. Even during the July 4th discharging here in south Texas, my pack case didn't even get warm to the touch. I do remove the hatch floor and sub-trunk so the pack is visible.

Raytheeagle and VFerdman like this.
  20. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I live in New England. We always have weather issues :) I also have another car, a 1993 Volvo 940 Wagon. It just feels strange driving it when I am not transporting sheets of plywood or other lumber from the home center. It is a great car a workhorse, but 23MPG (25 on a good day with strong tailwind) is starting to feel very wasteful. I will try and do the third deep discharge, but I am worried that after the second dishcarge my charging voltage is lingering at 231V for way too long. It may be stuck there, IDK. It's been 12 hours on the charger now...

21. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is just me, but I'd be happy with two cycles if I needed the car. Then look for a three day weekend several months down the road. Easter, maybe. Two cycles, if you really needed reconditioning, will make a noticeable difference.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  22. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, after two cycles I am still at 233V after 13 hours of charging. Still going...

jerrymildred likes this.