1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconditioning Experience with Hybrid Automotive's Prolong System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by biglew8, May 16, 2017.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll trust your experience rather than have to experience it myself:p.

Paranormal Rob and biglew8 like this.
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well the low-wattage bulbs aren't really a big problem, but the 200W jobbies (x2) tend to get a bit toasty, so it's nice to have them outside the car and even then I used a bloody great fan keeping them cool! If they're inside the car, you need to keep all the windows open! Either get a 5' ext. cord, or (Jeff!) make the Prolong Harness 5' longer! :)

edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like loads of fun ;).

All I did for my foray was swap the harness from the Charger and Intelligent Discharger:). I turned off the buzzer as I wasn't sure if I would be around when it finished and didn't want to spook the neighbors :eek:.

Thanks for the suggestions for improvement (y).

4. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just filled up today. Here are my findings from my first tank of gas since reconditioning on 5/15/17:

Miles driven on the full tank of gas: 354.6
    Tire pressure: 38/36
    Previous tank MPG: 44 mpg
    Current tank MPG: 43.1 mpg per MFD/40.7 mpg per Fuelly.

IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1604.PNG

The weather has been warmer lately (mid 60s to low 70s). The battery bars have gone to the green area after driving down some small hills (7 bars). It didn't stay green much longer after driving some more. I've only seen the battery bars hit 8 green bars once since reconditioning. I've also been seeing 2-4 bars at times recently. This is mainly with city driving and being stuck in some traffic. I've also been using more a/c lately. That could be a reason why mpg has gone down and less battery bars. I'll report back more findings after next fill-up.

WilDavis, jeff652 and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AC feels good but it is devil for gas mileage :-(

(I use my AC all the time too lol)

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I tried rolling down my windows but I had to close them because so much pollen was flying around.

Paranormal Rob likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gas in WA maybe $2.30 a gallon? At only 40 mpg, I think it's still pretty cheap to have the comforts of AC

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $2.57 a gallon. It should be cheaper but there's a stupid state tax that makes it cost more.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've done three reconditionings with the light bulb method and here's three things I've noted:

1) I chose to do reconditionings on holiday weekends that I don't typically travel (Jan 1 and July 4th) so I have plenty of time. A regular weekend just isn't long enough although it is for my monthly balance charge.

2) I dutifully recorded the times/voltage readings the first two times so I could compare to the example before/after chart on Jeff's website. Every 15 minutes for the first couple of hours, then every 30 minutes as the rate slows. This also shows me where the big drops occur for bulb changes.

3) I notice the "bounce back" effect after a bulb change to a lower wattage where the voltage goes way back up. This makes the next stage last longer than originally anticipated. So...... (the following is not advice, it's just something I've decided to try), I now leave the higher wattage bulb burning longer past the charts' thresholds and very closely monitor the rate. I try to judge/guesstimate the amount and then switch to the lower wattage bulb. If the bounce back is still too high, I swap back for a few minutes. Rinse, lather, repeat till the bounce back is below the threshold.

This reduces the process and keeps the whole discharge to around 4 hours. I immediately begin a 20 hr. charge cycle afterwards so I complete a whole cycle per day. Times approx: discharge 8am-noon, charge noon to 8am. So, I really only have to babysit the car in the mornings and can be free the rest of the day

Tip: I use mechanic's work gloves for the 200w bulbs as they can be very hot.

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty close to my procedure, too. I have also started doing a transition when I just change one bulb to lower wattage for a while to make for smaller steps in the wattage reduction. I looks weird because one bulb lights and the other one just kind of glows, but the volts drop faster than changing both bulbs but not as fast as changing no bulbs. Then I change the other one when the voltage bounce stays below the change set point voltage.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes I agree 100% allow 4 days. Now I see why the automated is so cool. hard to pay attention for so long especially at the end where you are getting tired.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So spent the day driving my rejuvenated battery around and its very impressive. The car feels so much better. It was doing this subtle loss of power thing where on a straight highway I could feel the power going away just slightly like the engine was stumbling but it was not the engine. I gained 10mpg's also. Now i feel solid power very nice. The other weird thing I immediately see is is for the last year the engine would be very noticeable when it turned on. Very unsmooth turn on when sitting. Lot of jiggling of the car. Mild clunking and very noticeable shut down too. Sometimes it was disturbing how loud the shut down was. When the light would turn green and I would begin rolling out and applying pedal I could notice the engine turning on. I could hear it. Thats stopped the engine now comes on like it did when it was new. Unnoticeable and very smooth. Very odd but real.
    I guess if the hybrid battery is not powerful enough when loaded to spin up mg1 it would not spin up fast enough? I have no idea whats going on there but its real.

Also the battery never went below 6 blue bars all day. Around town stop after stop. It used to go to 2 purple bars pretty fast like in a fast food pickup line. Not sure how long it will last but right now I have a brand new battery back in my car.

Night and day. My car may be the exception to the rejuv rule in that I have 110K miles and no codes thrown. My delta was not more than .25 volts so it was a fairly health battery to begin with.

jeff652, Raytheeagle and biglew8 like this.
  13. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How many times have you done the reconditioning since buying the Prolong system? I am wondering if over time after a few recondition sessions, the hybrid battery keeps improving. I've only done one since buying the system. My next one is due in November.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is my first.

biglew8 and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that too, a very real observation.

#75 dolj, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    edthefox5, biglew8 and jeff652 like this.
  16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like it really needed it! Quite an improvement. (y)

edthefox5 and biglew8 like this.
  17. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, I seem to have a couple of free days, so about an hour ago, I started on what is my third full-recondition. Starting conditions ~60% SoC; 222V; 356mA, and here's a pic: (note the extension cord!:rolleyes:) Prolong2.jpg

#77 WilDavis, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    biglew8, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck to you sir let us know. When I saw the discharger out in the sun I cringed. You can't do that where I live as the charger would be cooked sitting in the sun like that after about 10 minutes. The Sun will rip your hide off down here.
    Will, where do you live in Maine or Nova Scotia?

Sidenote my battery is still at 6 blue bars. Blows my mind it does not move.

19. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, the schedule did change. I just started my first charge/balance. The car is in the garage and the temperature is in the 70s. It's not supposed to heat up again until Monday or Tuesday of next week so I'll just do without the car for the weekend. Wish the rookie luck!

20. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My garage faces south, I'm in southern New Hampshire, the glare of the sun totally wiped out the display in that pic, but the garage door is normally closed, although it does get toasty in the garage with the sun beating down on the door.

This is the third full recondition I've done with the Prolong System, and I've also done several short recons with balance in the interim, the overall fuel consumption in my three years of owning the car is around mid 40s, and the best on one fill-up I've seen is about 51, and the best instant on a journey I've seen is just over 60. The SoC spends most of its time around 65% and the best SoC I've seen is 81% a couple of weeks ago. The only time I've ever seen purple bars was just after I got the car, before I started using the Prolong System, but the lowest SoC I normally see is around 50%, but only for a short period of time.

The car is a 2009 Gen II and has 121,700 miles on the odometer, regular services done. Summer shoes on at moment (Antares Ingens) 46F/44R.

…er, that's it! ;)