1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconditioning HV Battery with Quattro B6 - Over Charge Capacity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Okeno, May 22, 2020.

1. Okeno

Okeno New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi. I'm trying to recondition and rebalance my 2008 Gen 2 Prius Hybrid Battery using a Robitronic SkyRC Quattro B6 DC multi-charger.

I've found a couple threads here and the 45 minute video on Youtube. I've tried to follow the settings for the charger:

NiMH Battery settings
    • Charge @ 3.0 A (first attempt) @ 2.0 A (second attempt)
    • Discharge to 6 V @ 1.0 A
    • Discharge > Charge 3 times
    • Repeak 2
    System Settings
    • Waste Time 5 minutes
    • Safety Timer off
    • Capacity Cut-off @ 7500 mAh (first attempt) @ 7000 mAh (second attempt)
    First attempt on batteries 1, 3, 5 and 7 and then second attempt on 2, 4, 6, 8. Original standing voltages were around 7.4 volts before the discharge. Voltage was closer to 8.8 or so when it was done.

In both cases they couldn't finish the first discharge>charge cycle. The discharge appeared fine but the charge then fails for every battery with "Over Charge Capacity Limit" on the display. I can't seem to see any other details about the battery. When I went to check occasionally I never saw the mAh get close to 7000. Last time I checked before it failed it might be close to 6000 mAh and 8.75 V.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. xland

xland New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could be wrong here, I have the same charger, overcharge capacity message comes up when module capacity is greater than the set capacity in settings. Eg battery hasn’t finished its charging cycle yet and has exceeded the set capacity.

you can also just auto charge (I use 1 amp these days) then select discharge to 6.0 volts and you will always see the capacity on screen

Regards
    X 3E98826E-7CB7-47F3-B548-8C9B33FB534E.jpeg

3. Wenjun Li

Wenjun Li Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems many models are doing this. Anyone find a solution?

4. kdfchannel

kdfchannel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am running the same problem with the new hitec x4 ac pro ( over charge capacity limit ) and don't know what setting should I use to avoid this. I have good connections too .

5. Tropic thunder

Tropic thunder New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was anyone able to resolve this. Curious to see what could be the problem as I’m having similar issues

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    up your charge capacity to 9000 sometimes, i thought 8000 would cut it but not so on two of them. It is my understanding that NiMh will deal with excess charge by 1)charging the weakest cell in the module 2) the full cells dispell overcharge as heat (aka, keep a fan on it, or the rocky mountain air in dec)

mjoo likes this.
  7. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I say "it is my understanding" because it is admittedly limited. Like, I know nothing but my own experience with this charger,so take this with a grain of salt...also is it me, or my crappy multi, or is this machines voltage calibrated a little off?