1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconditioning Hybrid Battery HELP from more experienced nerds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So im reconditioning my hybrid battery, using a donor pack of unknown origin. And Ive got some weird results with my charger. The settings im using are as follows: Charge rate 2 amps, dischargew rate of 5 amps to 6.v, on 3 discharg>charge cycles, current cutoff at 7500 mamps, timer OFF, this timer doesnt have an adjustable delta sensitivity, it has a re peak value of 3 (whatever that is). The charger doesnt seem to be stoping cuase the voltage got up to 9 volts, before i cut it off. It may have also buldged the module WHILE it was in the compression bar pack. pics to come.
    Thank all you nerd (i use this term affectionately) for all the help you guys have offered this far. Trully an amazing community!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These hobby chargers are not designed for these type of modules, so you have to make do with them because proper equipment costs many thousands of dollars.

When re-charging do it in stages to keep heat down... I usually disconnect charger at about 8.7v... And at start of reconditioning a bad pack with not much remaining capacity will quickly charge up above 9v with hobby chargers. But after three rounds of conditioning it will take a really long time just to charge up to 8.7 which creates heat problems. Keep lots of fans going and use a thermal camera to detect overheating cells before they fail.

3. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Really? So in that practice, you just monitor the charge portion of the cycle, and cut it off at those voltages? What about one that read 9 volts before i cut it off, obviously its still coming down but is it toast? Couldnt i make use of the current cutoff at 6.5 amp or even 6000 mah? Id be happy to get that kind of capacity but i know these modules are old enough to never reach that capacity again. Or do i need to over current them during charging? Such that my cutoff of 7500 mah is justified? or is it too low? ive heard of people setting it to 8000 mah in order to get it to recognize the delta peak and stop charging.

I know some people have successfully configured these chargers to do this. Ive got a Ultra Power UP240 AC Plus w 4 channels (4x60 watts).