1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reconditioning hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by misterdean, Dec 14, 2020.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think you have the basics figured out right.
    Anything you do to the whole battery still assembled will be pretty much a total waste of time.
    The bad cells will prevent the ones that are just a little weak from getting much or any benefit from a whole pack charge.

2. AlexTG3EV

AlexTG3EV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    These Charsoons are unobtainable and bangood has to this date never shipped me anything I have sent them money for. I have tried to buy them and honestly glad they couldn't fulfill the order. They never shipped and were unavailable. They are also a waste of time and the amount of money you would need to spend in additional power supplies and batteries to even use it is cost prohibitive. You need an EXTERNAL battery in order to use the discharge function to any beneficial amperage. You also need separate power supplies and its still only 4 channel. You need 28 channels to do an entire battery pack at once. The fad of charsoons is outdated info.

3. AlexTG3EV

AlexTG3EV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Dr. Prius and Hybrid Assistant, yes the battery is balanced. One can view voltage difference both under load and while charging. Yes , I'm sure. Capacity data of the entire pack can be measured with Dr. Prius or mathematically by time x load under discharge while viewing any battery scanning program that displays HV load amperage.

If there was such a great difference in capacity, certainly block codes would be present and dealt with accordingly. 3 months of non use of a Prius is bound to cause issues with many Prius and or no start issues. Doesn't mean the battery is unusable.

Never stated that, however the algorithm for what the BCM throws codes for is different between G2 and G3 and it much tighter on a Gen 3. Typically around 1.5V but this includes under load and charging. Goal should be to have the modules as close together in voltage as possible while continuing to track close in voltage during load and charging.

That's correct. If you have three packs at home and 14-28 channels worth of chargers available and lots of time, you may choose to put in a tremendous amount of work and data acquisition to form the best pack possible. For most though, they don't want to give up their transportation and just want to be able to work in some reconditioning where they can fit it into their busy schedule while not losing their car for months at a time.

I am not what you describe in your post above however its clear your intent is to try and devalue my opinion to try and elevate yours. In the end, you don't know me, nor my knowledge base on the subject and my job is not to persuade you from whatever it is that you believe, nor clear up your confusion on various levels.

Ernie stires and PriFi like this.
  4. AlexTG3EV

AlexTG3EV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my understanding also. I would only add though that having their charger system is a prerequisite since it uses the charger's wiring harness to interface with the discharger.

You definitely missed something, because they do not make a charger without cooling fan support. Its not optional. Every single model has it, including the cheapest entry level charger EL-1 Series they make. It says this on their item description.

Attached Files:

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, Alex. You seem to misinterpret my post. And yes, I have plenty of confusion in my life, but Prius HV batteries is likely not high on that list of items. Showing up and saying one method of "refurbishment" is stupid and the other method is the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't exactly look at things from both sides of the aisle. My experience, what I do and the help I've provided to people is clearly posted in hundreds of threads. Some include hobby chargers, some include the Prolong Charge/Discharge grid charger system and some include apps like Hybrid Assistant and Reporter. Why don't you take a few minutes to tell us about yourself? Explain to us your level of knowledge and experience on the subject. Why do you own charging equipment? Do you own a hybrid repair shop like some members here? That would be great, as we have many Florida members (assuming you're in Winter Garden, FL) that could use a good shop. Do you have half a dozen Prii in your family that you, alone, take care of? Do you help friends with their cars? Are you a dealer mechanic like some members? Are you a hobbyist/DIYer like hundreds of members? Can you build a prius or two from the spare parts you have in your garage? Just like there's many levels of confusion, there's also many levels of knowledge and experience. The world would be a pretty boring place if everyone was the same.

Skibob and jerrymildred like this.
  6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So why then, pray tell, do you choose to post here at all ??
    :whistle:

Flyboy314 likes this.
  7. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    why don't you help me instead of arguing with people who have less than 10 posts? all of your posts in this thread have been directed towards other members. i've asked a few questions that have gone unanswered. can't quite figure out if i'm not being taken seriously or you guys think pulling the battery is a bad idea or maybe my questions are stupid and not worth answering? apparently you have experience with the CQ3 charger i have taken interest in, can you tell me how that worked out for you? would you recommend it? do you still use it or did you buy something else?

#27 misterdean, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This would be a fair question in about half the threads on here lately.
    It should be interesting to see the answer.

Flyboy314 and Ernie stires like this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm. Pretty good question. It appears I've let myself become distracted after taking offense to post 16. Anyway....
    I'll lay it out the best I can. You have a battery in the car that has not coded. There are many Gen2s out there still getting amazing mpg with original batteries. You're concerned because your mileage has dropped. Although the HV battery becoming weak can lead to lower mpg, this isn't always the cause. The are several things on a car that can result in lower MPG. Even a weak 12v battery can cause it on a Prius. Before you tear into the battery, get yourself a Bluetooth OBD device and a free app (you have an android phone? I bought an older one Galaxy S4, just for the app) called Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter. Use their website to get a list of recommended OBD devices that will work properly with the app. Use that app to do a battery test. It will graph all 14 battery blocks. A weak block will show itself very clearly. If the battery is still well balanced, it will also show that clearly, as all 14 graph lines will be in a tight range. Do that first to see if you actually need to spend money digging into the battery or buying chargers. I'll post a link in a minute showing what the graphs look like.

Here's a link to a decent thread. It's 3 years old, but shows information that may help you. Post 5 shows a graph with the 14 blocks charted. You can see 13 of them are fairly tight together and one is weak. If that outlier was tight with the other 13, I would say that battery was in good shape.

Just Another HV Battery Thread and Experiments | PriusChat

Now, if you want to refresh your battery just for the fun of it, even though it has no codes, this is a prime time to try a grid charger/discharger system. Once a module has failed, it's too late for a grid type system and the module would have to be replaced first. Disadvantage=cost.

You can accomplish near the same thing using a hobby charger(s). Disadvantage=time required, with time directly depending on number of chargers, which then potentially becomes =cost if multiple chargers are purchased.

You can accomplish even better results by purchasing a Gen 4 NiMH battery from a wrecked gen4 Prius (typically $700-1000, depending on luck). Use the modules from this HV battery to replace all your modules. (Sell your original modules on ebay real quick for 15-18 each and recoup ~350 bucks or as a lot on craigslist for $250). It's similar to putting new batteries in your favorite flashlight. This my preferred way to build a battery for a customer. Properly assembled, it will last many years with no problems.

#29 TMR-JWAP, Dec 17, 2020
  10. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i already replaced the 12v battery, sensors, filters, plugs, fluids, tires. feel like i'm just throwing money at it and should just tackle the main culprit. you weren't far off about doing it just for the fun of it. my buddy enjoys renching on cars so pulling the battery isn't a big deal for us. i'll look in to these apps. we were wondering if there was a way to test battery health without pulling it.

#30 misterdean, Dec 17, 2020
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is just an amazing tool.

Yup. Start with this.

Also, let me just give @TMR-JWAP a pat on the back. His knowledge is extensive, especially when it comes to the Gen 2 and to traction batteries. He's also quite generous in sharing it in writing, and in actual help. I always listen to what he has to say on this stuff and I'm sure I"m not alone.

Ernie stires likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All I can add is these few nuggets.

Forget about buying Prolong products on eBay there hot and getting top dollar and go fast before I bought a NewPriusBatteries system sold my prolong on eBay and got more than I paid for it new.
    Anything G2 battery related is hot there all dying it’s just time.

The other is if your battery has not thrown any codes yet but just getting tired and exhibits poor mileage and tanking to purple bar fast at alight and no power a prolong charge then discharge works extremely well I got another 3 years out of my battery doing remedial full battery charges every few months and 2 discharges.

13. AlexTG3EV

AlexTG3EV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a lot of "watch" set up for various stuff I'm interested on ebay and noticed that company pulled out of ebay altogether months ago and hadn't sold a single charger in many months when you go to "customize view" by "sold items" . Probably why. Yeah, I don't think they are as "hot" as you think.

14. AlexTG3EV

AlexTG3EV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    High
    Why ask why? Try Bud Dry!
    Is this a real question? Typically folks invest in charging equipment to connect to hybrid batteries.
    Nope.
    Yup.
    Intellectually, yes. Physically? I try not to. Unless of course they need a module or few that have been meticulously reconditioned and measured complete with IR and capacity figures under various charge and discharge loads, complete with graphs.
    I'm a lot of things and know a lot of things.
    Who isn't, that comes in here talking about hybrid batteries?
    I could build a lot of things from a lot of things.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not talking about the company on ebay.

I sold my 3 year old version #1 with the wooden board for the bulbs on ebay for $400 about 4 months which is more than I paid for it lots of bids and a hundred watchers so yeah there hot.

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is wonderful. It sounds like you'll be a great asset to the community once you get rid of the DB Complex...…...glad to have you around.

17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is awesome advice You could build your own bulk charger with either of these, plus I'm pretty sure plans on how to use and make a light bulb dis charger are around somewhere. The difficult part is making a wiring harness that doesn't catch fire or get you killed connecting it.

18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well AlexTG3EV created an account the very day TMR-JWAP made the MaxxVolts statement and has not commented in any other thread but this one as of now.

Winter Garden Florida is also very close to Orlando. Anyone want to guess where MaxxVolts Facebook page is located?

upload_2020-12-23_16-17-56.png

#38 Skibob, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  19. AlexTG3EV

AlexTG3EV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    A search of the keyword "maxx volts" on this site comes up with 3 pages of references and 56 results spanning over several years. You're trying to say that my account has something to do with another members post? GTFOH
    urashill.jpg

"Northern California" in your profile location is very close to Central California. Anyone want to guess where Hybrid Automotive page is located?
    urashill_ca.JPG
    Now that you're done with your level 1 basement Qanon theories, you can give your grandma back her yarn and thumbtacks so this thread can remain on topic and in accordance with the forum rules.

20. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    El Centro is as far south as you can get in California, less than 20 miles from Mexico. Winter Garden Florida is 14 miles from Orlando. You should have at least checked a map before you commented. I did.

If I were the owner of this Maxx-Volts company I would comment on this thread and distance myself from you. I can only speak for myself but your comments have made me less interested in Maxx-Volts products, not more interested.

#40 Skibob, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020