1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconditioning Prius Battery with a hobby charger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cristian Stancu, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Cristian Stancu

Cristian Stancu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everybody! First post here. Been following the forum for a few years now.

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius with almost 400k km (about 250k miles). It's still running with the original battery, almost 16 years now. Using Dr. Prius for testing i get 63% in the life expectancy test.

The HV battery holds the charge ok, but when it's discharging in the test, from about 50% it goes down to 40% really quick. Probably due to loss of capacity because of the aging modules. No error codes on the HV battery yet, because everything is balanced. The cells have about the same voltage. Error might show up in the near future, if nothing is done.

I would buy a Prolongue system, but it's to expensive for me. I have this charger -> SKYRC Extreme 2X150W 7A Dual DC Balance Charger Discharger (cannot post links yet, still new here). I plan on cleaning the bus bars and to try and recondition the modules. Would it work if i wire a few cells in parallel (4 would work) and discharge - charge them 3 times to get rid of the memory effect and restore some capacity? The charger can discharge at 5A and charge at 7A. So i can set it to discharge at 4A and that would be 1A / modules and charge at 7A would be 1.75A / module. Given the fact that the charger is dual, it could do 8 modules at once. I could get another one to do 16 at once. It would be a lot better if i have the time to take the modules one by one and see exactly what capacity they have and what i can gain, but i don't have the time.

Is there an option to wire all the pack in parallel and charge / discharge? Although that would be painfully slow at about 0.25A charge / module and 0.17A discharge, that would be more than 24h to charge and even more to discharge. So probably close to a week for 3 cycles. Has anyone tried something like this?

Is it necessary to bring the voltages back down after everything is finished? So they don't remain at 100% when reconnecting back everything.

I did work on smaller 48V li-ion battery packs for electric bikes. I'm trying to see if i can do it safely with my knowledge and your help.

Or i can just drive until it fails and get newer modules. I've seen modules from 2015 Toyota Yaris being sold for 550$. Would that be an alternative to buying a new battery pack?

Thank you!

2. Chase2

Chase2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm new here myself but I've been reading up a lot and can give you some info.

Yes, you can charge or discharge your modules in parallel. I'm not sure you can deep cycle them in parallel, however. Old modules have varying charge capacities that they'll accept, so a charge that puts one module at nearly full may cause a lower capacity module to overheat and expand. This seems risky to me, although maybe you can get better advice from someone else here.

Yes, bring the voltage back down before you re-install. If the battery isn't back down to a lower charge, it will throw codes when you install it. I've read you should install at around 50-60% charge.

The module specs allow for a 5 amp charge, but most people here recommend charging slower when reconditioning. ~340 mA or lower is safer and will be less likely to heat up your modules when charging up.

I've read various things on discharging, I can't tell you what the fastest rate you should discharge at. My charger will only discharge at 0.6 amp so it's not a worry for me, just takes me ages and ages.

#2 Chase2, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. Cristian Stancu

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info, thank you. It looks like i will use a Prolonque after all, a friend of mine bought one and he can help me.

I will try to get more chargers and do it manually later.

4. Cristian Stancu

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took the battery to my friend who has the Prolongue charger and discharger. He did a clean-up on the battery terminals and bus bars. Also he cleaned the fan. The battery was about 59% in dr. Prius. After cleaning and Prolongue it jumped to 128%.

I will post some pictures soon.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

6. Cristian Stancu

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. Here's how bad the situation was. Also, he wrapped the steering wheel with new leather. In the battery, all the modules were the original ones, nothing was replaced in almost 16 years.

Attached Files:

dekzz likes this.