1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconditioning Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Taz43, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
      • I have a few questions I need help with please. I am planning on reconditioning my cylindrical hv battery to see its revivable.

1. 1. If im planning to recondition, is it meaningless to load test?

2. If load test is neccessary, if i get say quick drops, can that module still be saves through reconditioning?

3. If i do 3 cycles using the tenergy t180, is there a number i need all the modules to be close to or can they be anywhere as long as minimum in the 5,000s.

4. If i cant find the capacity without charge and discharging them, how can i know if a specific module doesnt need reconditioning?

5. Is there any way to measure the internal resistance or is that something i dont mind too much as im reconditioning the whole battery?

If there is a good step by step thread or website or video for all this, please share but also id like help with my questions.

Thank you in advance for any help

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Your reconditioning a non-stock battery HV battery is this correct The factory battery I don't think was cinderrical they're flat plates so this is an aftermarket type battery is this the project lithium or something that was bought on Alibaba or something like that?

Taz43 likes this.
  3. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It is NIMH and they are reconditionable. Only difference is these have 14 blocks as apposed to 28.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, there isn't one go to source. but there are a bunch of threads here, and probably some youtube videos as well.

Taz43 likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you have a lot of space left over under the battery housing or there's a bunch of plastic mounts that take up all the space in the case? Where did you get this set up I guess is my question?

Taz43 likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your load testing & using Tenergy t180 is for a reconditioning that includes a rebuild (replacing bad modules). But you don't need to bother with any of that if you're just reconditioning, which is ideal because finding cylindrical modules that match your pack's modules is not easy. As in you want to send a 1/4amp to 1/2 amp 250v signal to the pack while running the battery fan... Then use a couple lightbulbs wired in series to discharge. The owner's manuals at hybridautomotive.com is a good resource for using the correct bulbs at each stage of discharge. There's lots of grid charger designs you can choose from. Here's the thread we created a while back: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

Taz43 likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Without having to read all that. Are they building a charger that charges the whole pack at once? Or is this a module charger It looks like it is a pack charger. Which is what would interest me a hundred bucks seems interesting. As other ones on the market even put together by other people and look to be close to $300 in parts like the Venice hybrid system discharger and charger.

Taz43 likes this.
  8. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE

So i was planning to recondition the current modules, one at a time, discharge and charge 3 cycles to make sure i maximize the capacity of each module using the tenergy t180 and then balance the pack therafter. If i found a module that the capacity does not reach the 5000 level, i would replace that module with another one. Thereafter, i would balance them as a pack again.

Would this be sufficient? Am i missing a step?

9. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The cylinderical after market battery pack has 14 blocks as apposed to 28. So instead of 2 modules being put together to form one block, this type already is 1 block. They are a bit wider so there is no extra space left.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And how did this come to be you just saw them on a site and bought them or is it a kit type thing? I've only seen pics on Ali baba . I think now they've lithium similar to nexcel that sort of thing.

Taz43 likes this.
  11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wanted to try these years ago but there was no local support or seeming interest at the time. And at the time this type of thing was costing $1,800 if I'm not mistaken or similar and then when it came time for me to really need a battery The dealer new was on like 14 00 so of course I went with the dealer new rather than something nobody knew at the time It was just in pictures on a site . And costly and different looking.

Taz43 likes this.
  12. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE

Ive seen one dealer in Ohio offering it for 2k and brand new. Shipping is 400. Yhat is probably the best. I got these installed by a local company here but the problem is when something goes wrong u dont have much support. You dont have ur orginal core either so trading in for a used or new one will cost more. But if u know what ur doing u can get.it from ali baba for about 1k. I just wanna see if i can salvage thia one 1st. My convertor got stolan and car sat for months and battery went bad.

bisco likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apologies for delayed reply... If you're going to recondition modules it's going to take really long using the tiny 20 watt resistor in your t180 and you'd be better off using a standard halogen headlight bulb, which is usually about 50w and 12v. And because this bulb is used for load testing 8volt modules and your modules are 16volts you might want to use two bulbs, or measure discharge for 4 minutes under that load rather than 2 minutes.

Only other thing you want to do is build a spreadsheet of all voltages when you pull the pack, then load testing as you start reconditioning, then after 3 increasingly deeper discharges once you're all charged up it's wise to let the fully charge pack sit for a few days or longer so you can add self-discharge numbers to your spread sheet. All this data will be super helpful in the future when you have to diagnose a failing module.

Taz43 likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Terminology:

• Cell: 1.2 volt (nominal) unit. Can't change this: NiMH chemistry determines it.
    • Module: in the original, six cells (7.2 volts nominal). Original has 28 of these. The cylindrical version is double-wide and made of twelve cells, 14.4 volts (equivalent of two original modules).
    • Block: The unit of monitoring by the battery ECU. There are 14 blocks, no matter what style of battery is used. In the original, each block is two modules. In the cylindrical replacement, each module is its own block. A block is always 14.4 volts nominal.

JohnPrius3005, Taz43 and ColoradoCrow like this.
  15. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you both for all the advices. So I been cycling using the T180 and yes it does take a long time. But I'm in no rush as I got to get my convertor fixed. The settings I am using are.

Capacity 6500
    chg Curr 6.5V
    dchg Curr 5.0V
    Dchg End Volt: 12.00V (since mine is double)

I do this for 3 cycles. Does this look good or is something incorrect? would you change anything? Please be detailed as I been scourging all over the internet the correct settings for the 3 cycles.
    upload_2022-9-29_16-4-30.png

16. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you both for all the advices. So I been cycling using the T180 and yes it does take a long time. But I'm in no rush as I got to get my convertor fixed. The settings I am using are.

Capacity 6500
    chg Curr 6.5V
    dchg Curr 5.0V
    Dchg End Volt: 12.00V (since mine is double)

I do this for 3 cycles. Does this look good or is something incorrect? would you change anything? Please be detailed as I been scourging all over the internet the correct settings for the 3 cycles.
    View attachment 231840

17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure hope you have a fan going to keep them from running hot!

Also a thermal camera can find cells that are running hot before they fail.

As for discharge numbers that looks fairly good, but your discharge voltages don't go low enough in my opinion. I remember back in 2018 I went to visit Joe at 2nd life battery, who has $30K in lab-grade rebuilding gear and is also a professor who teaches hybrid and electric car repair at his local college. I told him that Hybrid Automotive's electrical engineer recommended increasingly deeper discharges and in the 3rd round instead of dropping each module to 12v per block, they recommend taking it down to 0.1volt per cell or 1.2v per block.

Joe laughed at me when I said that... But then 4 years later we were texting about other things and he mentioned that he discharged down below 6v per module by accident and decided to study the benefits of it and realized it's better than what he was doing. So his initial laugh has now turned into leaning more towards agreement.

Meanwhile the folks over at Hybrid Automotive kept getting customers who were following their numbers and getting failed modules. And while for us rebuilders, the more bad ones you can find the better, that's not ideal for a consumer product that is very expensive. So Hybrid Automotive have boosted the numbers of the 3rd round of discharge several times. Here's there current numbers:

upload_2022-9-29_18-35-45.png

upload_2022-9-29_18-26-35.png

#17 PriusCamper, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Taz43 likes this.
  18. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    This is great. I feel much more comfortable now. Yes i have a box fan directly at it but tbh i havent felt any heat or swelling thus far. Ill change my settings to:

1st
    Capacity 6500
    chg Curr 6.5V
    dchg Curr 5.0V
    Dchg End Volt: 10.00V

2nd
    Capacity 6500
    chg Curr 6.5V
    dchg Curr 5.0V
    Dchg End Volt: 8.00V

3rd
    Capacity 6500
    chg Curr 6.5V
    dchg Curr 5.0V
    Dchg End Volt: 6.00V

At any cycle if the discharge is 5000 or more, ill go ahead and stop there for that block. Does it matter if u end a cycle at discharge without charging it back up?

Block 1 did 5700 dchg and block 2 did 5672 dchg on its 1st chg/dchg cycle. I stopped there for both

1. Should i always charge it back up before setting it aside and moving to the next?

2. On the 12 cell cylinderical block it says 6500mah. I still dont understand that if the Prius OEM 6 cell modules 6500 is 100%, shouldnt this one be 13000 equal 100% since it has equivalent to 2 modules or 1 block?

Im hoping im just misunderstanding and 2 tested blocks are excellent and not half the full capacity?

#18 Taz43, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The most heating will happen on the recharge after your deepest discharge... If you know anyone who does home inspections, they have a thermal camera and I highly recommend monitoring for heat with one of those.

As for using the charger to measure mah, it's a very crude measuring tool that I don't trust and don't use. Some feel comfortable with it but not me because NiMH charge very inefficiently and if you aren't spending tens of thousands on lab-grad gear, you're only getting a measure of charge that's been sent, not the charge that's been received, especially during the balancing phase when the full cells that are waiting for the not full cells to catch up aren't receiving additional charge, just dissipating their charge as heat, which is why at that stage you need to keep the amperage super low or you'll cook them into failure.

Taz43 likes this.
  20. Taz43

Taz43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE

So I've done 10 modules so far. 7 of them have been around 5300mah so I have stopped on 1st cycle. 3 of them have been 2400, 2300, and 4500. I tried doing a 2 nd cycle using the above settings I posted but with each of those the 2nd cycle ends in like 40 minutes compared to the usual 5 hours. The cycle charge discharge will show around 500 mah. Any thoughts?

PriusCamper likes this.