1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Record CA Cold Snap

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tripp, Jan 17, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LanceinOregon @ Jan 22 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]379209[/snapback]</div>
    It is indeed a problem but there are many other factors to consider. As countries develop their birth rates tend to go down as long as weird religious BS doesn't get in the way. With increased global warming our delicate infrastructures will be endangered and with new and old but resistant diseases popping up global climate change could very likely lead to a massive die-off of humans. Granted we would have to drop pretty darn low in population to not immediately pop right back into shape but a big enough die-off and a damaged infrastructure would hurt pretty bad. :)

2. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 19 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]377898[/snapback]</div>
    OK - I understand your point. I disagree - but understand what you are saying.

I'm not sure there is evidence that there are any more wild variations in weather today than at any other point in human (or pre-human) history. Certainly we are more aware of these variations due to better measurement, reporting, and dissemination of information. I'm not sure I have seen solid evidence that wild variations, as you call them, are any more frequent. Nor I'm I completely convinced that variations from the norm are necessarily indicative of anthropogenic climate change. Certainly there is general agreement that some "variations" may be attributable to anthropogenic causes, but lots of debate on others (such as hurricane frequency and intensity).

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LanceinOregon @ Jan 22 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]379209[/snapback]</div>
    You certainly have a pessimistic view of the future. Most US population growth has been related to immigration. As for the world, data I have seen show the earth's population leveling off soon...

"According to a report from the United Nations Population Fund, based on 1998 analyses (see The State of World Population 1999), projections for the future global population are being revised downward. The projection for 2050 now is 8.9 billion (medium variant), substantially lower than the 1996 projection of 9.4 billion. "

Most of the anticipated reduction in growth is due to lower birth rates and AIDs deaths (mostly Africa).

Will the earths population cause problems. Of course. Will they be nightmarish? Perhaps, but not likely due primarily to population. More likely due to man's capacity to wreak havoc on his fellow man (which paradoxically will lessen population pressures).