1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Record High Temperatures Far Outpace Record Lows Across US

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by blueumbrella, Nov 14, 2009.

1. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ScienceDaily (Nov. 13, 2009) — Spurred by a warming climate, daily record high temperatures occurred twice as often as record lows over the last decade across the continental United States, new research shows. The ratio of record highs to lows is likely to increase dramatically in coming decades if emissions of greenhouse gases continue to climb.

Record high temperatures far outpace record lows across US

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya, i can believe that. we had a stretch here 10 days of 11 at 90º+...beat all time record of 3 days in a row and average of 4 days in the 90's per season. during that stretch, it hit 100 3 times. now mind you, for some 100º might be somewhat common place, but previous to this summer, the all time high temperature in Olympia was 100º hit 4 separate times. well, we broke that record with 101º on a tuesday and the broke that one with 104.5º the next day.

so ya... i can believe its getting warmer. i think we ended up with 12 days in the 90's for this past summer beating the previous record of 6 days by just a hair...

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We passed the previous record heat wave for November by 3 days this week!
    Temperatures here have been unseasonal at a pretty consistent max daily temperature of 38 to 39 degrees C.
    Of course no one gives a hoot because I'm not in the USA.

4. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I give a hoot, because I am living it. Bloody Hot! And it is not even summer yet.

5. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And, according to a forecast that I saw today, you are looking a couple of days of over 40º (that is over 104 for you lot in the US) next week.

Hopefully you will forgive me for not visiting Adelaide over the next couple of months.:D

I think that you can gather from Pat and Bev's comments, the US is not the only place setting new highs. Our summer last year was for places like Adelaide and Melbourne setting new high records, and we were setting new highs through the winter all over Australia - we were, for a couple of days, actually getting higher temps in winter than most of Europe were getting in summer.

6. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Won't be long and we will need to go further south to keep cool. Not in my lifetime though.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tassie looks nice? What do you reckon Bev?

8. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny you should say that, we were just saying the other day how we should live in Tasmania for 6 months of the year.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, everyone knows it gets hotter as you go south, and you guys live way south. What do you expect. :rolleyes:

I think you have your directions mixed up again with all that babbling about going south for cooler weather.

;)

Tom

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Time to throw another penguin on the barbie I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  11. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I am going to have to purchase an air-conditioner-

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    whether similar patterns show up in other countries will depend on someone working through the available data. No reason why that should not be done in Australia etc.

13. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A meaningless mangling of statistics. Why compare the Tmax and Tmin rather than the absolute # of records? Answer: because the data show there are fewer minimum records (typically at night), due in large measure to urbanization which causes heat retention during the day and heat transmission from concrete buildings, asphalt roads, etc. at night. So of course the relationship shows an increase when the denominator falls. Duh.

And certainly there is a case to be made that temperature records will be set when 69% of surveyed US temperature stations have reporting errors of at least +2 degrees C or greater, as shown here. These errors are frequently the result of urbanization and other siting problems with weather stations over time.

And why did the analysis conveniently exclude hot decades like the 1930's and '40s when a large # of high temperature records were set?

Meaningless. Move along. Nothing to see here.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We set or tied records this summer: rainfall and cool temps. Matter of fact, a lot of grain crops were lost due to mold.

We appear to be making up for it now. Tied high temp records in September, and even now the temps are +10 C during the day, 0 to -5 C overnight. We should be 10 C cooler

15. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is that as food :hungry:, or fuel? :noidea:

16. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    May not last long. Very cold air mass building up in central/eastern Alaska. Temps currently (@ 00Z 19 November) near -40 degrees F based on the surface observation network there.

17. docbooks

docbooks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    - Benjamin Disraeli

“There are three kinds of liars: liars, damned liars and politiciansâ€
    - anonymous statistician

Take your pick :D

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    once again, we have massive discussions over warming or cooling trends despite the fact that scientists have revised terminology to say that global climate CHANGE is what we need to concern ourselves with.

changes in ocean currents will cause warmer temps one place, colder in others. now, our winter has just started around here and we have had "100 year" floods in 2 of the past 3 years. we are in the middle of a pretty extreme storm and how it will turn out? who knows.

i think we can all agree that the sheer number of all time highs and lows, in most cases, in themselves are not all that extreme, they are just happening at unusual times of the year.

granted, this year for the most part, we did not have plants budding 6 weeks too early like what happened a few years ago, but its become obvious that in many areas, the seasons can not always be judged by looking at the calendar

1 person likes this.
  19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only global weather certainty is large masses of hot air emanating from threads like these.

;)

Tom

20. docbooks

docbooks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I totally agree that the climate changes, I just happen to think that it is a natural occurrence and NOT man made. After all, Lake Michigan was a glacier ( a certain indication of extreme cold) long before the effects of man arrived, and many areas of the planet that are now desert were once at the bottom of the ocean (a certain indication of extreme heat) long before the effects of man. The climate will fluctuate in the future as well, regardless of our feeble attempts to manipulate it. So, yes, lets burn fuel responsibly and cleanly and develop alternative energy sources --- just don't use climate change as an excuse to tax the entrepreneurs in the US out of existence --- they will be the ones who will innovate us out of our fossil energy dependence. :peace: