1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Record Straight on Prius Convertible

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exproducer, Apr 30, 2008.

?
  1. Yes I'd spend more?

2.5%
  2. Never

97.5%
  1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now that is a fine modification there Bra...

I am envious... I have always been a vertman myself... and it is heartening to see there are fellow members with that same need for sunshine on my shoulders.

2. exproducer

exproducer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rapenzulrides,

Yes, I'm your neighbor with the Golden Retriever puppy. (6 months old) I think you live 3 or 4 doors up from me and we had a conversation when you stopped on your bike a week back or so about film?

I only had the hardtop for about 100 miles before it went in for the convertible conversion so can't give much of an evaluation what I was getting hardtop but in 45 mpg range around Los Angeles; no freeways.

Your mileage is excellent. Appears also I have a lot of detractors who hate the conversion but I love it. I put the puppy in the back seat latched into his seat belt; he scopes out the neighborhood.

Edmunds posted a road test on Prius Chat, the other day, they did a week ago on the convertible and seems pretty fair evaluation.

Best,

exproducer

3. rapunzelrides

rapunzelrides New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well isn't that ironic? We seem to have quite a few Prius owners on this street. We could probably form our own little club.

I think it's kind of funny how some people really hate the look of the Prius. I'm usually pretty picky about style, and I have loved it since I first laid eyes on it! Ah, personal taste. And it's only one of the myriad reasons I bought one.

Enjoy yourself in that spiffy ride. The weather has been just perfect for taking the puppy to the beach, lucky dog! I will check out the reviews while waiting for another glimpse!

4. NOX 3.2

NOX 3.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Record Straight on Prius Convertible UPDATE

Remember that contrary to normal cars, the Prius is supposed to Excel in gas mileage in stop-&-Go traffic, and not on Highways (where the gas engine is used more)
    since the electric engine is more powerful than the Honda's counterparts (Insight, Civics, etc)
    Converting it to a full EV-Plug in yields over 100 MPG by adding more batteries and some controlling electronics, all due to the wonderful electrical motor in the Prius.
    I'm waiting for a plug-in so I can buy my Prius, and hook it to solar powered-batteries at home.

Great mod, I'm glad it all went well for you. Love convertibles + hybrids.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a chance to take a good look at this convertible and meet exproducer at a recent OC Prius club meeting. I was very impressed by the quality of the conversion work done, suitable for concours exhibition or an auto museum.

The top is fully lined and very luxurious in appearance, both inside and out. The plumbing behind the hydraulic lift mechanism was fascinating to see.

This is a one-of-a-kind collector's item.

6. Garmy

Garmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The perfect name for this car just poped into my head....FrankenPrius!

I like the idea but not the finished product.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for sharing this observation and noting the high quality of the work.

I had not read this thread until today, and I am a bit bothered by the response many PCers have given exproducer. I notice that the OP has not posted for about 12 weeks, and I would not doubt but that he has decided to go elsewhere, given his reception on PriusChat. Remember, this thread was his first post. What an entry!!

If you don't like the look of the conversion, that's fine, but there is no reason to post harsh comments about it. Exproducer is not someone who just came to the show -- he has been a Prius owner three times over, and he obviously likes the car and what it can offer. He has gone out and done up a convertible Prius at the highest quality, and it will only help to get the word out about the car and its capabilities. More than that, he didn't do this just to have a show car, but to make his car a more pleasurable ride for himself. Kudos, I say!

I might not spend my money this way (but, then again, I don't have it to spend it . . .). Still, I do spend money on things that many PCers may find different.:eek:

I hope we hear back from exproducer to find out more about the car and how he is enjoying it.

8. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

It's almost like you're talking to him backwards through time. :glare:

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're welcome! Three more thoughts:
    • Regarding the $18K conversion cost, note that the price of a Ford Mustang convertible is ~$5K more than the comparable coupe; while the price of a Chrysler Sebring convertible is ~$7K more than the comparable sedan (an exact comparison is difficult given 2 doors vs. 4 doors, option content differences, etc.) Therefore, an $11K to $13K premium was paid to cover design and engineering costs not amortized over a large production base and the creation of a unique vehicle utilizing relatively expensive CA labor. This seems reasonable, although I recognize the final pricing is too high to be attractive to more than a niche market.
    • The rear seat backs are fixed in place and moved back an inch or so. The traction battery vent on the passenger-side rear seat no longer exists; hence a custom vent was devised to cool the battery. I could not see how the vent works since the trunk lining covered that up.
    • The trunk lid constitutes the rear portion of the former hatch. The hinging looks like a factory job, and the trunk lining contains the switched courtesy light that came from the former hatch trim.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks! I like the attention to detail and the compliments you offer on a job well done.

11. exproducer

exproducer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Appreciate the comments left by all regarding the conversion of my Prius to a convertible. Have a thick skin so doesn't affect my Prius Chat participation even if you posted you hate the modification.

A few updates:

The color of the car was originally posted then picked up in countless threads as Waveline Blue (given to me incorrectly by salesperson) when actually it is Seaside Pearl. You can see photographs in the Prius photograph album for exproducer.

Originally, I had posted mpg figures on the convertible with not enough miles driven on both local and freeway driving as some questioned the figures. They were correct and after 2500 miles mostly with the top down, freeway 45 mpg, local roads around Los Angeles 40 mpg with the top down. With the top up no increase in mileage, exactly the same. Appears a loss of approximately 5 mpg from original hardtop.

I had been offered by Newport Engineering who handled the conversion to strengthen the underside with additional steel L mounts to the sides of the undercarriage near both the front tires and a underside plate offered as an accessory on the Prius Store for no additional charge to give even more stability to the drive. After driving the Prius with the top down, the drag, any shimmy effect from wind, balance, running over rough pavement even at speeds of 70 mph, there was no need for any adjustment as car is a smooth ride and needs no additional modifications.

The total cost of the conversion was somewhat misleading in the original post as after taxes and all preparation the cost was not $15,000 but $18,500.

After a few reviews by ABC, Edmunds etc. have indicated was/is not my purpose when the conversion was made to snob up the car so ended all those requests for further parading overviews.

Personally to Prius owners, who may understand, there's not enough space to say how much pleasure driving the Prius as a convertible feels, handles and glides through roads of California in summer. It is nothing less than spectacular.

Thanks to Orange County Prius Club, great group of people, for making us welcome and viewing other members terrific modifications and Prius specs of all types.

exproducer

12. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  13. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I gotta say again... Now that is a sweet convertible.

14. kunstena

kunstena New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Any chance we could use this car in a Memorial Day parade in Mill Valley, CA for a pro-environment congressional candidate?

Leon Kunstenaar
    [email protected]

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You'll have to travel back to 2008, the last time he was seen on this board.

16. exproducer

exproducer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Leon,

Sorry. Unable to make Mill Valley but ever in Los Angeles area be glad to get together.

Best

Exproducer

17. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have to say WOW I can appreciate the workmanship and time and dedication that was put into your prius. But I will say it is not for me but who am I. Been in talks with a few people about turning a 04 salvaged prius into a work truck :) so I am not one to talk!

18. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I stand corrected.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whodathunk?

20. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, is this the first time on Prius Chat - or anywhere on the Internet, for that matter - that somebody actually admitted being wrong?