1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Airbag light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom1l21, Aug 27, 2009.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just today I noticed that my red airbag light on my side was coming on. I don't know if this has something to do with it, but my left tire was really low on air today (possibly a leak) and I could feel the impact on the tires going over some sharp bumps. I have put air back in and I think the tire is good for now. Now I don't know if the light came on before I filled them up or after, but its on nonetheless. Will it simply go away or is this definitely dealer-worthy? How long should it take too, I don't want to get ripped off for some small scan and turn off. Thanks!

2. chancejd

chancejd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had that come up a few times, too (on the passenger side, though). I THINK what it may be is if you have something in the front seat that is heavy enough that the car senses some mass there, but not heavy enough to turn ON the airbags. The car normally mistakes the presence of some "mass" as a small child, and makes it a point to tell you that there is no airbag safety on for them. It's a guess. Mine comes on and goes off, and I have tons of books that go in that seat at any given time.

3. superpug

superpug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem w/my 2007, I noticed that the light turned on 2 days ago (the red airbag light), when I turned off, and turned back on the prius, it went away. But then this morning I noticed it had come back on and stayed on.

When I looked in the manual, it said go to a dealer immediately, but there hasn't been any problem, or accidents since I've owned it, then all of the sudden it comes on? That doesn't make any sense.

Any info on what this could be I would appreciate it.

4. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I had my inspection about 6 months ago and I'm a very safe driver, just can't control what other people do. Would like to know what's up too.

5. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bump...

Seems like the only solution for now is a piece of electrical tape to cover it up. I'd like to get this taken care of though before my inspection. Anyone else figure this out?

6. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If it were me, I'd take it to the dealer. I don't think you can diagnose it without a scantool.

I don't think it would cause you to fail inspection, but I don't know your state's regs.

7. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 5000 mile limit on my oil and oil filter in the maintenance section. I noticed that at about 4000 miles driven, the "orange maintenance light" would flash 3 times upon start up. At about 4990, I noticed that the orange light would just stay on when starting. Is that the usual protocol for any items in the maintenance, at about 10 miles to go, the light stays on? This isn't related to the airbag right? Thx!

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your maintenance required light is working properly. It has nothing to do with the airbag light.

9. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I called the dealership, they said that they would charge $96 per hour for diagnostics and it would probalby take 1 1/2 or 2 hours to fix the problem at around $200 for that so in all about $300. Can I just buy a scan guage at half the price and reset the error or is there really something serious here that warrants the $300?

10. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Important note to make, I believe the light on puts the airbag system on off mode, not something to take lightly, though you're still safer than riding a motorcycle.

Also not sure but my understanding is once the light is set from the system checking all the connections on startup and detecting a fault , the light will reappear for several on off cycles. Perhaps autozone can do a general scan for trouble codes and if they are able to turn it off, you will then see if the light was just something random, an isolated occurrence or is a reoccurring problem that needs to be looked at further. Good luck.

11. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I went to a Midas and had them pull the codes. I actually had two error codes. The first was the airbag which was B1908. I found a link online here that says its a "SHORT IN P/T SQUIB (P SEAT SIDE) CIRCUIT (TO B+)".

They also pulled another code dealing with the transmission (he said). It is code C2318 with more info on it found here. This error says "LOW VOLTAGE ERROR (POWER SUPPLY MALFUNCTION)". I don't have any engine lights on except for my maintenance light because I need to do an oil change. I have never seen the red exclamation point.

How severe are these errors and are they easily fixable? I know that if I went to a toyota dealership I'd get bent over for probably $500+. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would it be possible to turn off the airbag light with a scangauge?

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you checked the 12V battery? When it gets weak, all sorts of wierd things happen, and they go away when the computers get enough juice.

14. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How do you check it to see if it's weak?

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    last night I noticed that my airbag light was not illuminated. It could have been a day or even a few since I last noticed. Any idea why it would just do that?

Btw, I replaced my 12V with an optima yellowtop a month and a half ago which didn't solve the problem.

17. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Tom:

Airbag systems are quite complex pieces of engineering. So complex that even a crack in the windshield can affect the performance of an airbag, as the windshield actually becomes part of the entire environment that is involved with the airbag in the event of deployment.

As such, it's a good idea not to try to turn off a check light or disable the system. If the light is on, it usually indicates a defective component in the system. Sometimes it's just a sensor, but usually most people don't have the knowledge or tools to diagnose or fix the systems properly in their backyard. There is also a certain amount of danger involved should an airbag deploy accidently.

Years ago, it could take days (and a lot of part swapping) for a repair shop to correctly diagnose problems with an automobile. Yes, paying for a proper diagnostics and repair can get expensive, but my feeling is that when you compare the cost in inflation adjusted dollars, it's probably a bargain compared to a few decades ago.

Just my 2 cents.....

18. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You could have a sensor that is going bad, or a loose connection in the airbag system. Due to vibration or whatever a bad connection could improve, a reference voltage could fall back into range, whatever. After a few start and stops the previous diagnostics error may then clear itself.

19. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It had happened to my Corolla, the driver side air bag threw a code. I had it fixed by disconnected the air bag connector under the driver's seat and re-seated it. This is caused by the dirty contacts in the connector over time.

Dman90 likes this.
  20. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Bedrock brings up a good point. You could try disconnecting the connectors that go to the seats. However, to be on the safe side and not risk an accidental air bag deployment, it might be better to disconnect the car's 12v power first. Then disconnect/reconnect the connectors, and after that reconnect the car's 12v power.

1 person likes this.