1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Alert - Battery Mileage Varies on Prime Models

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Sue Case, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Japan uses a modified WLTP, so it isn't directly comparable to EU figures. With their lower road speeds, they drop the extra high phase of the test.
    file:///C:/Users/Matt/Downloads/Description%20of%20Japan%20RDE%20methodology.pdf

reallyreal likes this.
  2. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the mention of the WLTC results were intended to highlight the effect of the tyre's size, a 10% increase in consumption, to extrapolate the reduction in the EV range for the PHEV. The value 53 km from 64 km taken from the dealer by the OP for me is a typo.

Yes, the JAP WLTC is class3 that means 3 phases rather than WLTP 4 phases, lacking the high phase.
    And bear in mind that at high speed the difference in consumption due to tyres is less, in %, then at lower speed, weighing the aerodynamic drag a lot more on resistance.

The WLTP of Gen 4 is given at 4,2 lt/100km and is expected similar values for the gen 5.
    I did'nt mentioned (perhaps my post was ambigous) the WLTC values to predict the WLTP.

#82 Maxwell61, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The OP results should be based on the EPA test. There can be another factor not in the WLTP making the higher trim results worse. Perhaps the weight difference put them into a heavier test bin, which increased the resistance of the dynanometer.

It is reported the gen5 has worse aero. The EPA has a high speed test, while Japan's WLTP cuts it out. The aero impact should be higher with the EPA.

4. reallyreal

reallyreal Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some data from the European test drives of the PHEV:
    • Trunk volume is 284L, I think the old PHEV was 191L, so it's still relatively small but a 50% improvement from the 4th gen (under the trunk there is the fuel tank and pump)
    • Weight with full tank is around 1600 kg
    • Usable battery is 10.2 kWh (~75% of the total, in line with gen4)
    • Anecdotally, a reviewer has mentioned a tested EV range of 60 km with 19" wheels, so around 37.5 miles (no one noted the temperatures nor whether climate control was active, drive tests were in Greece, looked sunny, probably around 10C / 50F)
    • Charge speed is up to 3.5 kW 16A, around 4h for a full charge (Europe use 220V/230V)
    • 3 steps of regenerative braking, but not to the level of one-pedal drive
    • A reviewer has mentioned double glass windows, very good insulation, low wind noise, unpleasant engine noise only under heavy acceleration
    • Take this with a grain of salt: a Toyota engineer supposedly told someone that aero resistance (Cx*frontal area) is the same as the 4th gen (more Cx, but less frontal area due to the lower roof)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they must have picked up some volume by lowering the deck below the hatch sill.
    will be interesting to see if a spare will fit

6. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i've seen myself many test drive of the EU PHEV and the frequent mentions of 69 km sounds like the preliminary WLTP for the 19", that i feel will be the only option available in EU. I guess for 60 km they were talking about their occasional measures.
    I'm very concerned of the 3,5 kW recharge speed. I hope they did like many EU brands that offer the 7 kW as an option.
    And they also have the Rav4 PHEV with a 7 kW charger, so the parts are in house already...
    The problem of the trunk space is serious, in the PHEV they say there's no space for lowering the floor because the fuel tank and pump... those 2 items seems very problematic for a non-EV that will be very expensive...

7. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Trunk is a bit more complicated, as the complete "boot" volume was 359 litres. This one has the boot floor much lower, but it is cut from a top with that sloping roof.
    + If they kept the weight around 1,6 ton it is simply amazing for a car of this size and battery, it's practically same as previous model that had smaller capacity battery and lightweight carbon 5th door.
    Charging speed sound really nice as the previous Prius always states 3h and 10 minutes to full ;)

#87 JoeBlack, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prius has two cargo volume specs depending on whether the specific car has the raise floor deck or not. The difference in the US is around 99L, but we have a completely different standard for measuring that space, which could lead to overestimation. What I know of the EU's method would lead to underestimation.